Front Differential Fluid Change - Page 9 - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums
 35Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 1.00 average.
post #81 of 107 (permalink) Old 04-07-2017, 11:12 AM

Car: 2017 Outback 2.5i Premium; 2019 Outback 2.5i Premium
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Etcher View Post
Yes it is... thanks for asking.

The dealership was awesome about the entire situation and extremely helpful. They assured me everything will be fine. They drained and filled it twice without charging me for any extra fluid.
As painful as it might have been, thanks for posting about your front differential fluid change experience here and here, @Etcher. On a brighter side, you have a really nice dealership!

I don't know if people are reusing their differential washer/gasket (part number 803918060 for the 'non-T70' plugs). These are expensive ($4.50 MSRP per Subaru's website), and my local st/dealer wanted $9.02 each -- which really miffed me, as I was quoted $4.28 each when phoning one day earlier. (Oh well ... I'll procure elsewhere, or simply flip and reuse ...)

FWIW, although maybe it's already well-known, there's also an interesting YouTube
documenting the Gen2 TR580 transmission, with some mention of the front differential (and associated problems with drain and refill) beginning at around the 35:58 mark.

ammcinnis and jws360 like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #82 of 107 (permalink) Old 01-05-2018, 05:33 PM

Car: 2016 Outback 2.5 Limited
I went into the dealer today with my 2016 2.5 with 48K miles. They said I need front and rear differential service and throttle body cleaning. Note the throttle body was done at 24,700. The maintenance schedule says inspect front and rear differential at 30k and 60k for the next inspection. My car has been in service for 33 months. I think they're trying to rip me off. I've read through most of this thread and it didn't really help me. The usual guy I use at the dealership and my second choice were both out today. Are either of these services really needed at this time? The differential fluid was going to be iver $200. I didn't have my maintenance list with me at this visit which I need to always have it seems. Your thoughts? I'm leery of their recommendations.

post #83 of 107 (permalink) Old 01-05-2018, 06:08 PM

Car: 2015 Legacy Premium 2.5 CVT w/EyeSight+SRVD ... 2016 Outback Premium 2.5 CVT w/EyeSight+SRVD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cedelchef View Post
I went into the dealer today with my 2016 2.5 with 48K miles. They said I need front and rear differential service and throttle body cleaning ... I think they're trying to rip me off.
Yes, I do believe they are. Even the 30K and 60K differential fluid checks, if you look in the Factory Service Manual, are "insect for leaks" only. Routine throttle body cleaning ... unless there is a specific reason ... is pure snake oil intended to pad the dealer's profits. Just my opinion, of course.
vhercules and Cedelchef like this.

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there." ~ The Cheshire Cat (Alice in Wonderland)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #84 of 107 (permalink) Old 01-05-2018, 06:36 PM

Car: 2016 Outback 2.5 Limited
Thank you, Ammcinnis for your insight!! I appreciate it.
post #85 of 107 (permalink) Old 01-22-2018, 09:35 AM

Car: 2017 Carbide Outback 2.5 Premium, 2010 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 2004 BMW 330i ZHP
I just did my first diff change on my 2.5 2017 this weekend at 31k miles. All the info here, including @Etcher 's incredibly helpful mishap, was great to have available to read.

For what it's worth, I decided on Mobile1 for the rear, and Subaru's OE fluid for the front.

The front actually looked fairly good. I maybe jumped the gun on doing that at 30k. The rear looked a little rough, though. The drain magnet was super-coated in sludge, and the fluid was much blacker in color than the front.

Boy am I sore! That front fill hole by the passenger half-shaft is not exactly conveniently-located.

Also, (just need to vent for a second here) the front belly pan is a PITA! Taking that stupid thing off and getting it back on was probably the hardest part of the whole job. Well, that and punching myself in the face when the rear drain and fill bolts broke free...
post #86 of 107 (permalink) Old 01-24-2018, 11:16 PM

Car: 2016 Carbide Grey 2.5 Limited Outback with Eyesight. Add-on: Geolandar GO15's on 17" WRX rims, Ecohitch
Garage
For those who have changed their front diff fluid...which approach did you use to fill it? (top or through the overfill hole?) And if you used the overfill hole...what pump did you use?
post #87 of 107 (permalink) Old 01-25-2018, 12:58 AM

Car: 2015 Legacy Premium 2.5 CVT w/EyeSight+SRVD ... 2016 Outback Premium 2.5 CVT w/EyeSight+SRVD
Quote:
Originally Posted by FSslacker View Post
... through the overfill hole?
That's absolutely the wrong way to do it!

The correct way is to add fluid through the Fill hole until it begins running out of the Overflow port.

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there." ~ The Cheshire Cat (Alice in Wonderland)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #88 of 107 (permalink) Old 01-25-2018, 10:50 AM

Car: 2016 Carbide Grey 2.5 Limited Outback with Eyesight. Add-on: Geolandar GO15's on 17" WRX rims, Ecohitch
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ammcinnis View Post
That's absolutely the wrong way to do it!

The correct way is to add fluid through the Fill hole until it begins running out of the Overflow port.
It's theoretically the same thing unless you really want to account for the displacement for the hose that you're running up. If the fluid is trickling out after you remove the hose...you're going to get the exact same level of fluid no matter which way you fill.

With the car on a lift...I suspect that mechanics fill it from the bottom while the car is raised - rather than lower to fill and then re-lift the car to insert plugs.
post #89 of 107 (permalink) Old 01-25-2018, 10:55 AM

Car: 2015 Outback 2.5 limited
Not to hijack the thread, but would someone kindly explain why you all are changing your diff fluid so early? Are you all in the 'severe use' category? The maintenance schedule never prescribes a change of the fluid (as is the case with most cars -- even my trucks have not required a change). Thanks from a new subaru owner!

Edit: I found a similar question being answered earlier in the thread. Y'all are just being 'cautious.' Got it ...
ammcinnis likes this.
post #90 of 107 (permalink) Old 01-25-2018, 11:26 AM

Car: 2013 Outback 2.5i Convenience
Quote:
Originally Posted by FSslacker View Post
For those who have changed their front diff fluid...which approach did you use to fill it? (top or through the overfill hole?) And if you used the overfill hole...what pump did you use?
Fill plug, more of a side hole than top. I have a length of new tygon tubing (clear), one end in the fill hole, the other up in the engine bay attached to a funnel. I let gravity do it's thing until I had a stream coming out of the overflow.

Just make sure you're working on the passenger side if you want to fill the differential.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tystevens View Post
Edit: I found a similar question being answered earlier in the thread. Y'all are just being 'cautious.' Got it ...
More or less, yeah. It gets the break-in crap out. I did mine at 25k miles or so and the fluid was black. I'm due to check it again, I'm hoping for honey color.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: