Do I really need a 3.6? - Page 45 - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums
 1105Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 3.00 average.
post #441 of 803 (permalink) Old 12-30-2015, 11:12 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harplayr View Post
After about 20 years of BMW trouble free ownership (all owned, none leased) I must be one lucky dude

Actually most expensive luxury cars are leased rather than purchased due to cost and depreciation not because of quality.

Here's some stats that may interest you.....

Now with that blasphemy I'm not trying to start a flame war, but just setting the record straight. I'm not saying Subaru is a hunk-O-Junk as I certainly wouldn't have purchased one, but the idea that BMW's are junk is just plain false.

They are leased due to cost but BMW's included maintenance also plays a significant role in their leasing strategy. They are good driving vehicles and fine to lease because most lessees know everything is covered.

I've never reported an issue to JD Power - Interesting that people actually fill out those surveys and do work for free or $5 which was what they offered last time they mailed it to me.

I've seen many old Subarus on the streets of NYC but not many old bimmers or Mercedes these days. Only old German car that I regularly see is the Mercedes G wagon - probably because it hasn't changed much and is simple compared to their newer designs.

1454 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #442 of 803 (permalink) Old 12-30-2015, 11:28 AM

Car: 2015 Outback 3.6R Package 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowlette View Post
Without a six I would gone back to a German.
Heidi Klum still has it. Franka Potente is pretty hot.

post #443 of 803 (permalink) Old 12-30-2015, 11:43 AM

Car: 2015 Outback 3.6R Package 23
Quote:
You must be an enabler and love the comebacks.

The Outback are not big brawny towing haulers but a nice crossovers that competes with lot higher price units. Can they tow yes, would I buy an Outback for that main purpose? I do not believe so except to haul a family or carry everyday things. Now the decision on engines... Most 4 banger can do the job and 6 banger does the job more effectively. Moving a mass is easier when more force is applied also to keep the mass moving is less taxing. So should I buy a four yes, should I buy a 6 why not. The 6 bangers are always known to be a quieter and takes less effort to move the same mass so..... The 3.6R Limited brings these vehicles up a few notches especially with Eyesight and now compete with Volvo, Audi etc. Just my 2 cents.
I've owned body-on-frame SUVs. I towed 6,000 pounds of boat & trailer. I tow a 10 foot rigid inflatable with a 15 hp outboard with the Outback and the occasional U-Haul rental trailer. It's no different from putting a receiver hitch on a family sedan since a Legacy is a family sedan. Not a tow vehicle but it does just fine with sub-1,500 pound loads. I wouldn't want to go very far pulling 3,000 pounds on my 3.6R.
Harplayr, Yoda_One and 1454 like this.
post #444 of 803 (permalink) Old 12-30-2015, 11:48 AM

Car: 2016 Outback 2.5 Premium w Eyesight
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westiedog View Post
They are leased due to cost but BMW's included maintenance also plays a significant role in their leasing strategy. They are good driving vehicles and fine to lease because most lessees know everything is covered.

I've never reported an issue to JD Power - Interesting that people actually fill out those surveys and do work for free or $5 which was what they offered last time they mailed it to me.

I've seen many old Subarus on the streets of NYC but not many old bimmers or Mercedes these days. Only old German car that I regularly see is the Mercedes G wagon - probably because it hasn't changed much and is simple compared to their newer designs.
Nothing wrong with a great warranty, but I suspect most cars in that price range are leased. As I've said there are a lot of older BMW's around here. Way more than old (or new Subies). I highly suspect most BMW's don't go from lease to junk heap like you're suggesting.

I always fill out the JD Power surveys and the Consumer Reports surveys too.
post #445 of 803 (permalink) Old 12-30-2015, 11:52 AM

Car: 2015 Legacy 3.6R ES, 2014 Forester Touring ES, 2005 Jeep Liberty Limited
@GeoffD-----Like I said, far from being my first choice as a hauler but a trip to the beach, cabin in the mountains or wilderness, ski trips, camping, fishing etc., it would be on my short list.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Laughing at oneself and with others is good for the soul.
post #446 of 803 (permalink) Old 12-30-2015, 12:00 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Nothing wrong with a great warranty, but I suspect most cars in that price range are leased. As I've said there are a lot of older BMW's around here. Way more than old (or new Subies). I highly suspect most BMW's don't go from lease to junk heap like you're suggesting.

I always fill out the JD Power surveys and the Consumer Reports surveys too.

About half are leased. I live in the capital of BMWs and Mercedes and I don't see many old ones. At the same time there are many Subies here as well - many old ones and are in fact a favorite station car for Connecticut and Westchester. You're the first person I've ever known who filled one out - where do you find the time? It's quite a long survey.
post #447 of 803 (permalink) Old 12-30-2015, 12:01 PM

Car: 2016 Outback 2.5 Premium w Eyesight
Quote:
@GeoffD-----Like I said, far from being my first choice as a hauler but a trip to the beach, cabin in the mountains or wilderness, ski trips, camping, fishing etc., it would be on my short list.
About all I "tow" is my 18lb carbon fiber bicycle.
I know it's amazing, but my lowly 2.5i doesn't seem to have a problem with it
Yoda_One and 1454 like this.
post #448 of 803 (permalink) Old 12-30-2015, 12:08 PM

Quote:
About all I "tow" is my 18lb carbon fiber bicycle.
I know it's amazing, but my lowly 2.5i doesn't seem to have a problem with it
Towed my Composit 21ft racing Sailboat for yrs 1800lbs only issue was lack of cooling when temps were in the 85 and up range with the 2001 2.5. The 2010 was much better on cooling but I avoided finding the cooling limitations by packing light, and avoiding hot trips with any type of climb. The 900lb 4x6 open camp trailer packed in the 1300 range with bikes and car heavily packed has been right at the max ideal go anywhere weight, returning 18-21mpg vs the boat we ran at 16 to 21 with a tail wind.
Harplayr likes this.
post #449 of 803 (permalink) Old 12-30-2015, 12:11 PM

Car: 2015 Legacy 3.6R ES, 2014 Forester Touring ES, 2005 Jeep Liberty Limited
Yes but was that pre CVT? And again that is small stuff not a hauler item.
I even have concern to use the Foz because of the CVT not sure what the long term problems(?¿) that is one of the main reason I kept the Jeep with factory frame hitch to pull trailer/boat just to be safe.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Laughing at oneself and with others is good for the soul.
post #450 of 803 (permalink) Old 12-30-2015, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Yes but was that pre CVT? And again that is small stuff not a hauler item.
Nope 69,000 miles on the 2010 cvt and I tow on average twice a month. The cvt is better than the old 5spd MT given it has more ratios to work with. Its really obvious in the mountians.

Yoda_One likes this.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: