Anyone get a 600 mile/1000 km tank? - Page 6 - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums
 35Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 1.00 average.
post #51 of 73 (permalink) Old 06-07-2016, 09:39 PM
Registered User
 
CurtStyler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 49
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgh View Post
Anybody have results from a strictly highway run but at more realistic speed like 70-75 mph.? I plan on a 2000 mile trip. Could I get 500 miles out of 1 tank at those speeds? This is from a new 2.5 limited


It's possible, although it depends on your terrain and traffic. I drove about 6300 miles last month. I was able to break 30 MPG on one tank, although it was cruising at 70 MPH across Illinois and Kentucky. It was fllllaaaatttt and there was no traffic to speak of. If you keep it closer to 70 MPH you would have a far better chance to hit those mileage numbers. The rest of my highway miles usually average around 27-29 MPG. 27 MPG will get you exactly 500 miles, but you would be out of gas. 450-475 is a more realistic distance to go between fill-ups. I get nervous going past that and usually pull over and get gas as soon as I can.


2018 Subaru Outback 2.5i Premium
CurtStyler is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #52 of 73 (permalink) Old 11-07-2016, 12:44 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Oklahoma, USA
Car: '15 Outback 2.5i Premium
Posts: 2,133
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I finally managed to go more than 600 miles on one tankful after a round trip from NE Okla to NE Kansas and back. Mostly 2-lane rural highways with speed limits 60 to 65 MPH.

After 610.0 miles it took 16.905 gallons to fill and had just changed from 50 to 40 miles to empty. I could no doubt have made the additional 11.4 miles to make 1,000 km, but I was heading out of town again and wasn't willing to try for the next gas station, another 20 miles further down the highway.

Next time, I guess.


Calculated MPG is 610 mi/16.9 gal = 36.1 mi/gal. Not quite the indicated 38.5, but still not bad!

Previous best tank was 584.5 miles, mostly rural interstate with 70 MPH (and 60 miles or so of 75 MPH) speed limit. 16.6 gallons to fill (35.1 mi/gal; 35.8 indicated) before heading into a very sparsely populated stretch of 2-lane highway at dusk.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	610 miles on a tank of gas 20161104_25.jpg
Views:	317
Size:	162.5 KB
ID:	309873  
1454 and mowcowbell like this.
skipw is offline  
post #53 of 73 (permalink) Old 11-07-2016, 12:50 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Okla City
Car: 2017 Outback 2.5i Limited
Posts: 1,108
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
skipw: you can have your dealer adjust the MPG readout on your computer so it more closely matches actual MPG. You'll find that your MPG computer needs to be adjusted down by about 4%. I had mine adjusted at Bob Moore Subaru in Edmond, and it now reads very close to hand-calculated MPG.
mowcowbell is offline  
post #54 of 73 (permalink) Old 11-07-2016, 12:53 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: South Dartmouth, Ma / Killington, Vt
Car: 2015 Outback 3.6R Package 23
Posts: 1,362
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I put 440 miles on my 6-cylinder over the weekend. The trip computer said I had 50 miles left in the tank when I filled it. 75 mph for most of it. At the speed limit on a warmer day, I might be able to get 500 out of the tank before the low fuel indicator came on.
GeoffD is online now  
post #55 of 73 (permalink) Old 11-07-2016, 01:06 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Oklahoma, USA
Car: '15 Outback 2.5i Premium
Posts: 2,133
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Thanks. I did know it can be done, I just haven't bothered. Yet.

Over the long term (almost 28,000 miles and 950 gallons pumped) it's been optimistic by 4.3%, so a 4% adjustment should make it very close.

I think it's possible for owners to get to the menu to make this adjustment with the right magic incantation of trip-meter button pushes and ignition on-off cycles, but I'd have to find that again.

At some point soon I'm going to reset the "lifetime" MPG indicator; it stopped counting fuel used at 270 gallons (~1024 liters) about 14,000 miles ago and recently seems to have stopped counting distance traveled, holding at 76.2 MPG after linearly increasing for about 12,000 miles. I'd been watching it to see what happened long term. I may adjust the indicated MPG computer at the same time.
skipw is offline  
post #56 of 73 (permalink) Old 11-07-2016, 01:42 PM
Registered User
 
Wmdpowell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Albany area , NY
Car: 2016 Limited 2.5 silver Eyesight
Posts: 1,221
Garage
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Anyone get a 600 mile/1000 km tank?

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipw View Post
I finally managed to go more than 600 miles on one tankful after a round trip from NE Okla to NE Kansas and back. Mostly 2-lane rural highways with speed limits 60 to 65 MPH.



After 610.0 miles it took 16.905 gallons to fill and had just changed from 50 to 40 miles to empty. I could no doubt have made the additional 11.4 miles to make 1,000 km, but I was heading out of town again and wasn't willing to try for the next gas station, another 20 miles further down the highway.



Next time, I guess.





Calculated MPG is 610 mi/16.9 gal = 36.1 mi/gal. Not quite the indicated 38.5, but still not bad!



Previous best tank was 584.5 miles, mostly rural interstate with 70 MPH (and 60 miles or so of 75 MPH) speed limit. 16.6 gallons to fill (35.1 mi/gal; 35.8 indicated) before heading into a very sparsely populated stretch of 2-lane highway at dusk.


Calculated you could have gone 667 miles! My long trips give me the best mileage. I tend to be right near 75 mph. It appears 70 75 gives a hit to mpg. We also get winter blend gas so best mpg happens late spring to mid autumn.


Bill P. Albany area NY 2016 2.5 Silver Eyesight

Bill
2016 2.5 Limited Silver eyesight Albany Ny area
Wmdpowell is offline  
post #57 of 73 (permalink) Old 11-07-2016, 01:44 PM
Registered User
 
ammcinnis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: metro Kansas City
Car: 2015 Legacy Premium 2.5 CVT w/EyeSight+SRVD ... 2016 Outback Premium 2.5 CVT w/EyeSight+SRVD
Posts: 5,971
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by skipw View Post
I think it's possible for owners to get to the menu to make this adjustment with the right magic incantation of trip-meter button pushes and ignition on-off cycles, but I'd have to find that again.
For MY 2014 and earlier it was indeed owner-accessible, with some difficulty, but for MY 2015 and later only the dealer can access that calibration constant. The procedure is covered in the FSM.

FWIW, I concur that -4% seems to be the optimal adjustment for most people.

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there." ~ The Cheshire Cat (Alice in Wonderland)


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
ammcinnis is online now  
post #58 of 73 (permalink) Old 11-07-2016, 02:23 PM
Registered User
 
1454's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Mooresville, NC
Car: 2016 OB 3.6R - Carbide Gray
Posts: 1,296
Garage
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
@skipw

That's impressive. Using only 16.9 gallons, you still had a ways to go before empty.

Heck, I would be happy to see 500 once... Sadly, I drive too fast for that.
1454 is offline  
post #59 of 73 (permalink) Old 08-01-2017, 08:39 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Maryland
Car: 2017 OB 2.5 Lim/ 2005 STI 400 WHP
Posts: 270
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
last two tanks were low speed and super flat and plenty of drafting opportunities. first tank was like 630 miles and this tank is currently 660 and on pace for 720.

2017
2.5
9k
mostly empty car
currently cool tempos so no AC down, AC back.

laurel MD to Fenwick island DE and back repeatedly at super early hours so no traffic. I have elderly parents and I am a teacher so this is my summer life. yay. Much of the drive is spead limit 50 and 55 but some is construction and is 45 MPH. I seam to get the best MPG at 45 MPG >50 MPG if drafting.

last winter ski trip was 22 MPG CC set at 80 MPG heated seats and all on.
This car is way more dependant on driving habbits thnt my other cars.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170801_084514.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	570.6 KB
ID:	363529  
skipw and 1454 like this.
tuswm is offline  
post #60 of 73 (permalink) Old 08-01-2017, 09:02 PM
Registered User
 
1454's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Mooresville, NC
Car: 2016 OB 3.6R - Carbide Gray
Posts: 1,296
Garage
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuswm View Post
last two tanks were low speed and super flat and plenty of drafting opportunities. first tank was like 630 miles and this tank is currently 660 and on pace for 720.

2017
2.5
9k
mostly empty car
currently cool tempos so no AC down, AC back.

laurel MD to Fenwick island DE and back repeatedly at super early hours so no traffic. I have elderly parents and I am a teacher so this is my summer life. yay. Much of the drive is spead limit 50 and 55 but some is construction and is 45 MPH. I seam to get the best MPG at 45 MPG >50 MPG if drafting.

last winter ski trip was 22 MPG CC set at 80 MPG heated seats and all on.
This car is way more dependant on driving habbits thnt my other cars.
Nicely done. That's just plain impressive.

tuswm likes this.
1454 is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome