Delivery Delay, 2017 Outback 3.6R Ltd. - Page 5 - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums
 43Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 1.00 average.
post #41 of 46 (permalink) Old 08-14-2016, 01:34 AM

Car: 2019 Forester Sport. Love the Orange.
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug300000 View Post
Pegasus yes that why they are all buying 3.6x it's so fast they can't wait to go to the track. Someday go back and read your posts. Your a joke and have no idea why people buy cars. Now I will get kick out but enough of your bull is reason for me to dump this forum. And you still can't tell me why Subaru sells 9 for every 10 made of the 2.5 ? Maybe because if you don't tow you don't need it period...... Doug
Maybe just a wee bit harsh. Sarcasm doesn't always play well in print. Ignore function is your friend.

I'm not happy....till you're not happy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 46 (permalink) Old 08-14-2016, 12:31 PM

Car: 2015 Outback 3.6R Package 23
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Pegasus yes that why they are all buying 3.6x it's so fast they can't wait to go to the track. Someday go back and read your posts. Your a joke and have no idea why people buy cars. Now I will get kick out but enough of your bull is reason for me to dump this forum. And you still can't tell me why Subaru sells 9 for every 10 made of the 2.5 ? Maybe because if you don't tow you don't need it period...... Doug
If you're going to rant at someone, at least get the grammar right.

The pricing sweet spot for the Outback is the Premium trim level with Eyesight. A loaded Limited trim level 3.6R or Touring 3.6R is a much more expensive car. Most people buy the 2.5 because they don't want to spend $10K for the 6-cylinder version of the car that can only be had at the top trim level. With sub-$2.00/gallon gasoline prices, the operating costs aren't all that different.

People buy what they can afford. You get the same utility out of the $25,000 car that you do out of the $35,000 car. If you could get the Premium trim level + Eyesight with the 6-cylinder for a $1,000 upcharge, I think a lot more people would opt for the 6-cylinder. It's a much more refined driving experience and the fuel burn is still totally reasonable compared to any crossover with that kind of driver/passenger/cargo room.

ammcinnis, Pegasus and amfh like this.
post #43 of 46 (permalink) Old 08-14-2016, 12:41 PM

Car: 2017 Outback LTD 3.6
Garage
@GeoffD, agree. We bought a 3.6 because that's what we wanted it and we could afford it. We certainly didn't "need" one.
amfh likes this.
post #44 of 46 (permalink) Old 08-14-2016, 01:20 PM

Car: 2016 Outback 3.6R EyeSight, 20mm RSB, STB, 2" ECOhitch
Garage
Quote:
You forgot to use all caps.
OBnube and Pegasus like this.
post #45 of 46 (permalink) Old 08-14-2016, 09:18 PM

Sorry grammar police for upsetting you. And I wish I had just ignored his text but enough is enough. The 3.6 is a great car and so is the 2.5. I really don't think it comes down to the extra 2000 dollars but what are your needs. In this country bigger engine cars have been a way of life. I based my buy on what I needed. The only time power of engine comes into play is towing or traveling with a large family and luggage. The other is can it safely merge onto a highway speed from the exit safely . Yes it does and from 35 to 65 I wonder how much slower. As far as gas price goes , you have not lived in this country long if you think gas prices are going to stay at two dollars a gallon. But that didn't even come into my decision. I drove it and we liked it and we bought it , and I'm sure those who bought the 3.6 did the same. But when I hear the constant bull on how slow the 2.5 is and how much faster the 3.6 is it gets old. News flash they are both slow one a little slower than the other . Done.
post #46 of 46 (permalink) Old 08-15-2016, 01:32 PM

Car: 2016 3.6R Outback; tungsten metallic with E/S and every option. I also have a Samsung Note 8 smartphone for trouble-free Bluetooth functionality.
This is an enthusiast’s forum. The vast majority of posters are Outback owners talking about their experiences and thoughts on their vehicle. We are all here to have fun talking about something we have in common, a Subaru Outback of whatever vintage.

As I have explained a few times in the past, my 3.6 is thefirst Subaru I have ever owned. Being in my sixties, married with driving age and older offsprings, I have owned a fair amount of vehicles over the decades. I also travel a great deal and I have rented countless vehicles during my career. I’m a perennial Hertz President’s Club member.

My main vehicle prior to my 3.6 was a 2002 Tahoe LT4X4. I kept that one a long time because it just plain worked really well; never a problem. I recently sold it with ~160,000 miles on the odometer. It was getting very old and the tech in it was ancient. It had a cassette tape player and a CD. No Bluetooth or Nav. I did add that, but the wires were all over and suction cups really don’t suck.

When I started looking around for a replacement, I decided that 3 rows, while great in 2002, were simply not needed in 2016 and going forward. We now have more cars in the driveway,and some are at college or moved out. I did want AWD or 4X4 and after looking around, I focused on a couple of vehicles; Highlander Limited Platinum, Lexus RS-350 AWD, Cadillac SRX AWD and the Outback 3.6. If there had not been a 3.6 available for the Outback, it would not have made the cut. Simple as that.

I appreciate the fact the vast majority of Outbacks sold are equipped with the 2.5i engine. I’m perfectly fine with that. Most people are happy with the 2.5; as I am wont to say, I am not “most people.” My Tahoe had a 4X4 drivetrain. Did you know that most Tahoes sold in Texas(probably 95%+) are RWD? I had to special order mine. Most people don’t need a 4X4 Tahoe, I am not “most people.”

This thread is about a lady pinning for her 3.6 and finally taking delivery of it. It mentions the 3.6 right in the title of the thread. I don’t read most threads here. I focus on the tech threads, provided it’s for a gen 5 as I know nothing about, and have nothing to contribute for, the earlier gens. I like to read and participate in threads about the 3.6 engine. Always stuff to learn and maybe some stuff to contribute. This is what this site is about. This is for fun.

If your worldview is rocked by people who like their vehicle and it has a bigger engine than yours has, I predict a very difficult life ahead for you.

After the OP announced that she had taken delivery of her much-anticipated vehicle, with a picture to boot, a couple more people chimed in to say they had ordered a 3.6 also and were excited. That’s when I posted my tongue-in-cheek comment about the 2.5 being just as fast. I know that, because the 2.5 owners here (like you) keep telling us that. They also keep telling us that you should only get the 3.6 if you’re towing stuff.

WRONG!

You should get the 3.6 if it’s what you WANT.

Most people do not “NEED” an Outback or even any vehicle. They can use public transportation and rent a car when they really need to. They can take a bus or the train to travel longer distances or fly for even greater distances.

Even if you could justify to yourself that you really do “need”a car, you still don’t need an Outback. There are smaller cars that have much better gas mileage.

Please refrain from projecting your decision parameters on other people and telling them they are wrong if theirs do not match yours.

In closing, I want to thank you for your “constant bull”comment. With that one comment, you just confirmed my tongue-in-cheek statement to which you took umbrage.
bruin1971 and amfh like this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: