30K Service Value - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums
 12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-20-2016, 03:05 PM Thread Starter

Car: 2015 Outback 2.5i Premium
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
30K Service Value

So I'm a bit over 30K and considering taking it to the dealer. So far I've done all oil/filter chg, tire rotate, air and cabin filter per book schedule. Local Subaru will charge me abt $215 (this is net stuff I've already done) for what is essentially an inspection and fluid topoff. Brake fluid is only item actually replaced. Hmm, maybe I can do that?

Is this service a good value at that price? Chatter welcomed.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-20-2016, 03:24 PM

Car: Twilight Blue 2015 3.6R with Eyesight
Garage
Biggest waste of money on the planet!
Unless you're a very aggressive driver, like running your Outback in the Baja 500 every year, it only needs replaced around every 10 years, or 100,000 miles.
This is how dealers make money off people who just drive their cars, and listen to what the dealer tells them is appropriate.
Long story short (Too late), don't worry about it. Unless, you have the cash and just want the peace of mind knowing it's been done...

cdbma likes this.

Stultus est sicut stultus facit.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

There are Three kinds of people. Those who can count, and those who can't...
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-20-2016, 04:12 PM

Car: 2016 2.5i Limited, crystal white pearl, dark gray interior. Eyesight, Nav, HK radio
I'd have to disagree with KO (sorry) somewhat as the 30k is a major warranty milestone. As long as you follow what's required by the maintenance schedule (not the dealer's recommendation) and can document that everything was done, you should be okay. Repairs are way too costly to try and save a couple bucks and maybe void a warranty claim.

You can also stipulate that the dealer do only that work that is required to maintain warranty coverage. That works for me.
post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-20-2016, 05:15 PM

Car: 2019 Forester Sport. Love the Orange.
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Synthetic oil/filter change about $60
Cabin and air filters about $15 each. Install $20.
Rotate tires, free up to $20.
Brake fluid replace/flush about $100.
+ all the other inspect and check items $20

My dealer gets $350-$400 for the official 30k service. The $215 your dealer wants IMO is not outrageous. Sure you can do it for less yourself but for those who can't or don't want self serve it's fair.

I'm not happy....till you're not happy
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-20-2016, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by subman007 View Post
So I'm a bit over 30K and considering taking it to the dealer. So far I've done all oil/filter chg, tire rotate, air and cabin filter per book schedule. Local Subaru will charge me abt $215 (this is net stuff I've already done) for what is essentially an inspection and fluid topoff. Brake fluid is only item actually replaced. Hmm, maybe I can do that?

Is this service a good value at that price? Chatter welcomed.
Most dealerships will perform and charge you for MUCH more than the owners-manual recommendations.

You DO NOT need a dealership to perform the tasks... but SOMEONE has to do it if you value your warantee.

If you cannot 'prove' that the recommend services were performed, it may affect future warantee claims.

For example: The 30K service includes checking the CVT fluid. If you chose to NOT have the CVT fluid checked ... then later your transmission craps out.... They DO NOT have to cover any transmission claims you have.

Personally, I carefully read thru the owners-manual and listed everything recommended at 30K. Then, I seperated the list into two categories
1) The items I will do myself.
2) The items I will not do.

As it turned out, the items in list#2 were done at dealership for less than $100. I have 'proof' that the dealer saw the vehicle at 30K miles and 'proof' that I purchased the necessary filters/oil/etc required at 30K for the 'do it myself' section of the list.
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-20-2016, 10:18 PM Thread Starter

Car: 2015 Outback 2.5i Premium
All good advice. Thanks. I may be screwed anyway. I thought the major service was at 36K not 30K and I have an extended warranty. My "bit over 30K" is actually --when I put my glasses on and checked-- 37K. So my not having this done closer to 30K pretty well voids my warranty if I have a "covered" breakdown? If so, I may just cancel it and get my money back.

To clarify, oil and filter change, air and cabin filter change, tire rotation all done per manual schedule.
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-20-2016, 10:43 PM

Car: 2015 Outback 3.6R Package 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by OBnube View Post
Synthetic oil/filter change about $60
Cabin and air filters about $15 each. Install $20.
Rotate tires, free up to $20.
Brake fluid replace/flush about $100.
+ all the other inspect and check items $20

My dealer gets $350-$400 for the official 30k service. The $215 your dealer wants IMO is not outrageous. Sure you can do it for less yourself but for those who can't or don't want self serve it's fair.
My math:
Denso 453-1019 cabin air filter that Subaru uses - $10.67 on Amazon Prime
Fram air filter - $9 at Walmart
7 quarts of Mobil 1 and a filter at the dealer with a coupon from their web site - $65
Brake fluid flush at the dealer - $79
My tire shop swaps my winter/summer tires for free. I bought the ATEQ TPMS Quickset tool.

After looking at my air filter at 16,000 miles, I'm going to change my air filter and cabin air filter ever-other oil change. Now that I've changed both of them myself, that's less than 5 minutes in my driveway.
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-20-2016, 10:51 PM

Car: 2015 Outback 3.6R Package 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by subman007 View Post
All good advice. Thanks. I may be screwed anyway. I thought the major service was at 36K not 30K and I have an extended warranty. My "bit over 30K" is actually --when I put my glasses on and checked-- 37K. So my not having this done closer to 30K pretty well voids my warranty if I have a "covered" breakdown? If so, I may just cancel it and get my money back.

To clarify, oil and filter change, air and cabin filter change, tire rotation all done per manual schedule.
The oil changes and tire rotation (uneven tire wear) are the only things that should impact the warranty.

Braking performance degrades a bit as brake fluid absorbs water. It doesn't hurt the car. The air filter will impact your fuel economy and horsepower a bit if it's really dirty but won't hurt anything.
KentuckyOutback likes this.
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-20-2016, 11:29 PM

Car: Twilight Blue 2015 3.6R with Eyesight
Garage
What @GeoffD said. Not flushing your brake lines @ 30k will not void your warranty. Too long between oil changes will void your warrant, as will neglecting to properly rotate your tires. But that's the tire Co's warranty, not Subaru's.
The other comments just show how some get freaked out if they think the warranty is in jeopardy, so they do everything, even when it's not required to maintain the warranty.
When the dealer is challenged, they will NOT tell you it's required, but they will say "It's necessary". Very important play on words...

But hey, that's my two cents, and how I maintain my cars. You need to do what you do, for and to your own car. From the sounds of it, you've already missed the 30k service by almost 10k, so as of this thread, it's a moot point to worry about it now.

But, you really do need to get your oil changed, ASAP! That will affect anything down the road, as far as engine warranty work.
Now, as to the CVT being checked @ 30k? Yes, I will be getting that at my 30k service, along with my regular oil change.
Now, that being said, if my dealer offers to do the brake flush for under $100 extra, I'll most likely do it. BUT, I refuse to pay $400~$600 for the entire service! That's just ridiculous...
I did it with my last Outback, to the tune of $480, and had a leak in the brake lines after!
They did fix it, but it could have caused me to loose control and crash.
They way I look at it, if it ain't broke, DON'T FIX IT!
Yes, brake fluid attracts moisture, but the system is sealed! So if moisture does get in, there's something wrong with the system, and needs to be fixed anyway.
Normal absorption of moisture in brake fluid occurs over YEARS, and many thousands of miles, not 30k miles.

The general rule for brake fluid is to change it while doing brake pad (Replacement) maintenance. How often? Depends on how hard you are on your brakes...

Stultus est sicut stultus facit.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

There are Three kinds of people. Those who can count, and those who can't...
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-21-2016, 01:32 AM

Car: 2016 Outback Limited 3.6
I have yet to find out if the Subaru uses synthetic transmission fluid but I will be doing the trans and differential every 30k miles. This is more personal preference and experience with keeping the additive packages at an ideal level.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: