Squeak when shifting from Park to Drive - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-22-2016, 10:24 PM Thread Starter

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Squeak when shifting from Park to Drive

Hello,

My 2016 Outback 3.6R makes a loud audible squeak when shifting from Park to Drive or from Reverse to Drive. Anyone else notice this? Not quite sure what could be causing this?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-23-2016, 10:29 AM

I know its unrelated but my 04 Forrester squeeked so loud when moving the shifter the neighbors could hear it. Every year I mentioned it to the deaer and they would tell me they oiled the cable/linkage and the squeek never went away. I got used to it and that was the end of it.

post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-23-2016, 11:22 AM
Rub

Car: 2016 3.6 Limited with ES
Mine does the same thing and after analyzing when it happens, I think my spidey sense has it figured out.

Mine does it only in the very limited circumstances of starting the car after it has been sitting for hours aka overnight or at the office all day.

When I start the car the engine goes into an overly rich mode to heat up the cat quicker for smog and that means it has a high idle of around 1,600± RPMs. If I engage the car into reverse while it's in the 30 second or so high idle phase I get the squeak.

If I wait there's no squeak. I think it's the torque converter engaging that makes the noise as it jumps into gear.

Sound similar?
lfdal and Sparkland like this.
post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-23-2016, 02:56 PM

Car: 2016 Twi-Blue/Ivory OB 3.6R
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rub View Post
Mine does the same thing and after analyzing when it happens, I think my spidey sense has it figured out.

Mine does it only in the very limited circumstances of starting the car after it has been sitting for hours aka overnight or at the office all day.

When I start the car the engine goes into an overly rich mode to heat up the cat quicker for smog and that means it has a high idle of around 1,600± RPMs. If I engage the car into reverse while it's in the 30 second or so high idle phase I get the squeak.

If I wait there's no squeak. I think it's the torque converter engaging that makes the noise as it jumps into gear.

Sound similar?
Mine does the same exact thing. I reported the dealer that I could hear a "chirp" and feel a surge.

The dealer checked it out..."Unable to verify customer concern. Cold soak CVT pressures are low 200s PSI. 1.5 second initial lag times allows the CVT to fill up both primary and secondary pulleys causing this chirping noise and at times a surging until pressure equalizes. Noise is considered normal. No repairs made at this time."
lfdal and Kevin McKelvy like this.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-23-2016, 03:09 PM
Rub

Car: 2016 3.6 Limited with ES
Ah.

That explains why it happens and also why it doesn't during the wait phase. It had nothing to do with a high idle but instead, that's when the pulleys are filling up.

Thanks for posting that.
lfdal and Sparkland like this.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-17-2018, 04:18 PM

Garage
One more thing for the 'hate' thread.

2019 Subaru Outback Touring 3.6R - Crystal White - Threw the Accessories book at it...
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-17-2018, 04:51 PM

Car: 2015 Legacy Premium 2.5 CVT w/EyeSight+SRVD ... 2016 Outback Premium 2.5 CVT w/EyeSight+SRVD
Quote:
Originally Posted by wvpc View Post
"... 1.5 second initial lag times allows the CVT to fill up both primary and secondary pulleys causing this chirping noise and at times a surging until pressure equalizes ...."
Could you ask them to cite a source for that information? I've never seen anything like that in any of the Subaru service training materials I've read. As far as I know, the Variator pulley actuators don't drain when dormant, and both pulleys have a substantial spring preload tension even when secondary hydraulic pressure is not present (e.g. when the engine isn't running). "Limp" mode of the CVT relies solely on that spring presssure to prevent Variator chain slip.

Subaru tech training documents do state that the 1.5 second max delay when shifting into D or R is designed into the system (presumably to reduce clutch harshness and prevent shock loading on the Variator assembly) and is controlled by metering orifices and hydraulic accumulators.

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there." ~ Lewis Carroll (Alice in Wonderland)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-17-2019, 03:49 PM

Car: 2017 Outback, 3.6R, Auto CVT
I came here and registered for the site specifically to log a "same here".

Same symptom: When cold and shifting into drive, there's a pretty loud squeak the first time I do it. It doesn't seem to occur after that until it's been sitting for hours. My wife never noticed it from inside the car, but I hear it every morning from the garage when I'm sitting at the breakfast table and she leaves for work. I finally got to experience it from inside the car this week and it was pretty subtle. I haven't yet pinpointed if it has any relation to the outside air temp yet but it has been colder here than normal (like 50F or less). Based on the number of complaints here, it seems like there should be a TSB for it.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-17-2019, 04:11 PM
Super Moderator

Car: 2002 Pair: 3.0 VDC Wagon & a 2.5 Limited Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by jweida View Post
I came here and registered for the site specifically to log a "same here".

Same symptom: When cold and shifting into drive, there's a pretty loud squeak the first time I do it. It doesn't seem to occur after that until it's been sitting for hours. My wife never noticed it from inside the car, but I hear it every morning from the garage when I'm sitting at the breakfast table and she leaves for work. I finally got to experience it from inside the car this week and it was pretty subtle. I haven't yet pinpointed if it has any relation to the outside air temp yet but it has been colder here than normal (like 50F or less). Based on the number of complaints here, it seems like there should be a TSB for it.
what year and engine you got? (not all gen5 are created equal)

Want people to stop needing to ask what exact car you have? year -model -engine -trans, scroll down to "your car": https://www.subaruoutback.org/forums...do=editprofile

? Want people to stop needing to ask what exact car you have? year -model -engine -trans, scroll down to "your car":
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Found a Subaru Vin Decoder (also works on many manufactures):

If you feel Sofa King intolerant to the ideas expressed by others:
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-17-2019, 10:01 PM

Car: 2017 Outback, 3.6R, Auto CVT
Updated. I have a 2017 3.6 w/ CVT

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: