2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R Keyfob Battery - Page 2 - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 1.00 average.
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-07-2019, 09:52 PM

Car: 2015 Outback Limited 2.5i with toys
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
The first battery in my fob (as opposed to my wifeís fob) for my 2015 Limited lasted around 3 years, give or take six months. Over the last 18 months or whatever, Iím lucky to get 2 months out of a battery. My most recent lasted less than six weeks. Itís not as if I simply got a bad batch of batteries onlineóthese have come from three or four different batches, the most recent from the local dealer when I had the car in for an oil change at the end of February. Any possible explanations? The only environmental change I can think of is that I retired about 21 months ago; since then Iíve spent a lot more time in our kitchen (directly above my garaged car) or in our family room (20 feet from my garaged car).

I suppose that one experiment would be to swap fobs with my wife and see if that one starts getting a short battery life. My wife never drives my car, so her fob normally sits in a drawer far from the car. I think her fob is still on its first battery.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-08-2019, 10:10 AM

Car: 2015 3.6R Limited
It's possible that proximity to the vehicle is draining it, although any distance greater than 6 feet, particularly when there's a floor in the way, should be more than sufficient to prevent that (according to the manual). I have seen posts claiming that dealers have said 20-25 feet is necessary, but have no way to confirm that. Certainly doesn't seem to be any alternative explanation assuming your fob is in good working order. Only other thing I might try would be disassembling it and cleaning everything thoroughly, particularly the buttons, with 95% isopropyl alcohol or a good electronics cleaner.

post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-08-2019, 11:52 AM

Car: 2015 Outback 3.6R Package 23
After 4+ years, I still have the original batteries in my two FOBs (pushbutton start). I've had replacement batteries in the glove box for a year expecting the batteries to die sooner based on what people have written here. YMMV.
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-08-2019, 12:33 PM

Car: 2015 Outback Limited 2.5i with toys
I just replenished my CR2032 battery stash in my car. The fob-battery death this weekend finished off my previous stash.

Iíll try cleaning my fob; if that doesnít help, Iíll try swapping fobs.
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-08-2019, 08:46 PM

Car: Tungsten 2015 3.6R Outback
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
After 4+ years, I still have the original batteries in my two FOBs (pushbutton start). I've had replacement batteries in the glove box for a year expecting the batteries to die sooner based on what people have written here. YMMV.
Same here. I have had the original batteries in my key fobs since I drove my OB off of the dealer's lot at the end of March 2015. But as you have done, I have extra batteries in my glove compartment just in case. However, I have not had to replace the batteries yet. Knock on wood and all that.
post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-09-2019, 01:43 PM

Car: '03 Outback H6-3.0 Black Granite Pearl, base model with cold weather package and cloth seats.
Believe it or not, I'm still on the original batteries in both fobs from my 2003. And I use one of them almost daily. Effective range has diminished, but they still both work well. Go figure...
post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-09-2019, 02:04 PM

Car: 2015 3.6R Limited
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilsonhp View Post
Believe it or not, I'm still on the original batteries in both fobs from my 2003. And I use one of them almost daily. Effective range has diminished, but they still both work well. Go figure...
The proximity keys (aka, fobs) we're discussing here are WAY more power hungry than the old keyless access transmitters. Also WAY better.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: