Gen5: Replacing the original battery with BETTER - Page 3 - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums
 464Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 4.00 average.
post #21 of 823 (permalink) Old 12-09-2016, 06:29 PM

Car: 2017 Outback Limited 2.5, Twilight Blue/Ivory, Eyesight. Also 1995 BMW 525i with 240,000 miles
Garage
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by AvidHiker View Post
Aaaaaand the OP does, in fact, have a 3.6!
So he does. Just further reason to replace or prepare to replace your Outback battery with a much more powerful battery.
I have the 2.5i and I plan to replace with an Interstate MTP 35 Mega-Tron Plus 800 cranking amps/640 CCA if I have the first trouble. Seems to be the best price point.

Thank you
Russell Casey, 2017 Outback Limited 2.5, Twilight Blue/Ivory with Eyesight. Build date: 7/19/16. Purchased 8/5/16 in USA. Currently about 22,000 miles.
Added LED backup, cargo, door courtesy lights and Lamin-X yellow film on LED fog lights. Nushield Dayvue antiglare screen, Soundproofed front/rear doors, floorboard, cargo floor, tailgate, cowl area & all wheel wells. 7/70 zero gold warranty

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 823 (permalink) Old 12-09-2016, 07:31 PM

Car: 2016 Outback Limited 3.6
Personally, I would just make your battery a 3 year preventive maintenance item. This is what I do. Have not had a battery die on me in 16 years using this method. Why pay double for an AGM?

stevedabutcher likes this.
post #23 of 823 (permalink) Old 12-10-2016, 12:36 AM Thread Starter

Location: Behind enemy lines in occupied portions of what was once part of the USA
Car: 2016 3.6R with all options, 2014 Crosstrek
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadTrainDriver View Post
Yes, many have.
Search is your friend.
I saw some "dead" battery threads, but wrongly assumed they were dead for a different reason.
post #24 of 823 (permalink) Old 12-10-2016, 06:07 AM

Car: 2019 2.5i Limited PZEV, EyeSight, Magnetite Gray Metallic, Black Interior
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2016OutbackNJ View Post
Personally, I would just make your battery a 3 year preventive maintenance item. This is what I do. Have not had a battery die on me in 16 years using this method. Why pay double for an AGM?
Because many of us would prefer not to contribute to needless hazardous waste if we can avoid it. Recycled or not, returning working batteries and replacing with new is wasteful. At least that's my reason. I run them until they die. The OEM battery in my last Toyota lasted through 9 years of New England winters.

Yes, I replaced my battery in my 2.5 with an Optima yellow top group 34. But the OEM battery is happily powering a small solar setup in my shed where the demands are less: just a few fluorescent lights once in a while.
BHopkins and jmcelroy like this.

Mods:
- Curt 2" Receiver Hitch
- Husky front & rear floor liners
- LED interior & exterior bulbs (backup, license plate, door puddle)
- Method MR 501 wheels, Titanium gray w/ Yokohama Geolandar G015 225/65R17
- Optima Yellowtop Group 34 battery
- PIAA Solar Yellow 2500 fog lamps

RIP 2016 Outback 2.5 Limited; totaled 10/14/18

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #25 of 823 (permalink) Old 12-10-2016, 06:55 AM

Car: 2014 Impreza SP CVT
Quote:
Originally Posted by jws360 View Post
Was doing some work on our 3.6 and after 2 hours with the dome lights on (yes, my fault for not shutting off) a dead battery quickly ensued. While charging I saw it had all of 490 CCA, which to me says it may be weak and underpowered.
CCA (Cold Cranking Amps) is the measure of the number of amps a battery can deliver at 0*F for 30 seconds and not drop below 7.2v. IOW, the rating is for very high amp draw over a very short period of time (as in starting the engine).
Your dead battery occurred as the result of a very different symptom; a low amp draw over a long period of time. This is a function of the battery's RC (Reserve Capacity) and/or Ah (amp hours) rating.

So while changing to a higher CCA battery may help start the car on a cold winter's morning, it has nothing to do with how long the battery will last with a parasitic drain.

Jim
post #26 of 823 (permalink) Old 12-10-2016, 07:28 AM

Car: 2017 Outback 2.5i Limited
Quote:
Originally Posted by papajam View Post
CCA (Cold Cranking Amps) is the measure of the number of amps a battery can deliver at 0*F for 30 seconds and not drop below 7.2v. IOW, the rating is for very high amp draw over a very short period of time (as in starting the engine).
Your dead battery occurred as the result of a very different symptom; a low amp draw over a long period of time. This is a function of the battery's RC (Reserve Capacity) and/or Ah (amp hours) rating.

So while changing to a higher CCA battery may help start the car on a cold winter's morning, it has nothing to do with how long the battery will last with a parasitic drain.
Excellent point. I think when talking batteries, most of us just fall back on the Cold Cranking Amps rating. Much like referring to an engine's horsepower rating when in reality it's the Torque rating that really counts.
1454 and phgunr like this.
post #27 of 823 (permalink) Old 12-10-2016, 08:27 AM

Car: 2016 Outback 2.5i Premium, Ice Silver
Quote:
While CCA and RC are by definition totally different measurements, there is a general correspondence between the two. A significant increase in CCA will provide a similarly significant increase in Reserve Capacity.
1454 likes this.
post #28 of 823 (permalink) Old 12-10-2016, 08:35 AM Thread Starter

Location: Behind enemy lines in occupied portions of what was once part of the USA
Car: 2016 3.6R with all options, 2014 Crosstrek
Quote:

Makes sense. I can see why some get the "yellow" optima battery, which is apparently better for extended periods of draw.
post #29 of 823 (permalink) Old 12-10-2016, 09:15 AM

Car: 2017 Outback Limited 2.5, Twilight Blue/Ivory, Eyesight. Also 1995 BMW 525i with 240,000 miles
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrumpySquatch View Post
Because many of us would prefer not to contribute to needless hazardous waste if we can avoid it. Recycled or not, returning working batteries and replacing with new is wasteful. At least that's my reason. I run them until they die. The OEM battery in my last Toyota lasted through 9 years of New England winters.

Yes, I replaced my battery in my 2.5 with an Optima yellow top group 34. But the OEM battery is happily powering a small solar setup in my shed where the demands are less: just a few fluorescent lights once in a while.
It is my understanding that not much in a used battery goes to waste. Over 99 percent of lead-acid battery components are recycled.
Yoda_One likes this.

Thank you
Russell Casey, 2017 Outback Limited 2.5, Twilight Blue/Ivory with Eyesight. Build date: 7/19/16. Purchased 8/5/16 in USA. Currently about 22,000 miles.
Added LED backup, cargo, door courtesy lights and Lamin-X yellow film on LED fog lights. Nushield Dayvue antiglare screen, Soundproofed front/rear doors, floorboard, cargo floor, tailgate, cowl area & all wheel wells. 7/70 zero gold warranty

post #30 of 823 (permalink) Old 12-10-2016, 09:24 AM

Car: 2014 Impreza SP CVT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al_G View Post
While CCA and RC are by definition totally different measurements, there is a general correspondence between the two. A significant increase in CCA will provide a similarly significant increase in Reserve Capacity.
General relationship, perhaps with a significant increase in CCA. But it is not by any means a general rule.
As one example, the Interstate MTP-34 has a CCA rating of 800 amps and 110 minutes of RC while the 685 amp PF-34-6 has 120 minutes of RC. And they're both BCI group number 34.

Some have the misconception that a physically larger battery somehow must be better. This is not always the case. CCA and RC are determined by a number of factors to include number of plates, thickness of the plates, materials used, etc. So while a physically larger battery may have the room for more and larger plates doesn't mean it does. It's all about CCA and RC (and, of course, what will fit in the car).

Knowing the parasitic drain many of today's cars have, the RC may be more important than the CCA.

Jim

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: