Gen5: Replacing the original battery with BETTER - Page 76 - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums
 459Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 4.00 average.
post #751 of 809 (permalink) Old 04-05-2019, 10:35 PM

Car: Outback 2018 2.5i Premium
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I haven't looked at this topic for a while. jakemccoy sure has gotten a lot of "likes" on the voltmeter I suggested in post #204.

I get a chuckle out of it every time it pops back up. One of the best diagnostic tools you can own... for under $2.

Dantrax likes this.

2018 Outback 2.5i Premium with "the works"
plus...Opt7 footwell lights, Rally Armor mudflaps, hour meter
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #752 of 809 (permalink) Old 04-06-2019, 11:43 PM

Car: 2017 2.5i Premium Lapis Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by fendertweed View Post
Details / description of the hard-wire installation please? I see the photo but not crystal clear... thx.

Thanks.
Nothing fancy. I used a harness with ring terminals and an inline fuse something like this:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The ring terminals are easily connected right at each battery terminal clamp.

The inline fuse is in the positive wire close to the battery.

The other end of the harness has a plug which fits the wire from the battery maintainer (Many brands seem to use the same plug but I'm sure some are different)

It isn't in the picture but there is a cap that goes on the end of the plug when it isn't being used. I also have a short extension wire that I was going to plug into that and run out through the front grille but decided not to use it. Since I don't plug the maintainer in very often I just open the hood and plug it in directly to the harness at the battery.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Maintainer1.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	446.9 KB
ID:	449319   Click image for larger version

Name:	Maintainer2.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	468.1 KB
ID:	449321   Click image for larger version

Name:	Maintainer3.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	460.0 KB
ID:	449323   Click image for larger version

Name:	Maintainer4.jpg
Views:	208
Size:	582.1 KB
ID:	449325   Click image for larger version

Name:	Maintainer5.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	523.1 KB
ID:	449327  

lfdal likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #753 of 809 (permalink) Old 04-07-2019, 03:16 AM

Car: 2018 Outback 2.5i Limited, No Eyesight, No Navigation
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip Enroute View Post
I haven't looked at this topic for a while. jakemccoy sure has gotten a lot of "likes" on the voltmeter I suggested in post #204.

I get a chuckle out of it every time it pops back up. One of the best diagnostic tools you can own... for under $2.
I think you are the one who introduced me. Yep, it probably has the highest usefulness/cost ratio of any diagnostic tool I own. Unfortunately, most car owners do not appreciate its value because they don’t understand what the various voltage readings mean. I saw one guy online complaining because his voltmeter was jumping from 12.5V to 14.1V after he started the engine (indicating a healthy battery and charging system). He thought the voltage was supposed to read 12.0 volts constantly.
post #754 of 809 (permalink) Old 04-07-2019, 09:21 AM

Car: '17 OB 3.6R Touring [ex-'09 OB Ltd. (2009-16); ex-'01 Audi A6 Avant (2001-2009)]; '14 Impreza Sport Premium
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danver View Post
Nothing fancy. I used a harness with ring terminals and an inline fuse something like this:

The other end of the harness has a plug which fits the wire from the battery maintainer (Many brands seem to use the same plug but I'm sure some are different)

It isn't in the picture but there is a cap that goes on the end of the plug when it isn't being used. I also have a short extension wire that I was going to plug into that and run out through the front grille but decided not to use it. Since I don't plug the maintainer in very often I just open the hood and plug it in directly to the harness at the battery.

Thanks, all doable, just couldn't see various spots to be sure, so the additional photos etc. are a great help.
post #755 of 809 (permalink) Old 04-07-2019, 11:05 AM

Car: 2018 White Outback Touring 2.5i
Garage
Quote:

Or you could be lazy like me and use the alligator clip leads. If I remember correctly the leads came with the Battery Tender Charger. Besides I didn't like the brand name "Sparking".
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Battery Tender Allibator Clip Lead.PNG
Views:	26
Size:	1.20 MB
ID:	449333   Click image for larger version

Name:	Battery Tender Ring Terminal Leads.PNG
Views:	24
Size:	504.4 KB
ID:	449335  

2018 White Outback Touring 2.5
post #756 of 809 (permalink) Old 04-07-2019, 12:22 PM

Car: 2017 Outback
Quote:
Originally Posted by jakemccoy View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip Enroute View Post

I think you are the one who introduced me. Yep, it probably has the highest usefulness/cost ratio of any diagnostic tool I own. Unfortunately, most car owners do not appreciate its value because they don’t understand what the various voltage readings mean. I saw one guy online complaining because his voltmeter was jumping from 12.5V to 14.1V after he started the engine (indicating a healthy battery and charging system). He thought the voltage was supposed to read 12.0 volts constantly.
You can also bring up system stats on the media center screen.
post #757 of 809 (permalink) Old 04-07-2019, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dantrax View Post
Or you could be lazy like me and use the alligator clip leads. If I remember correctly the leads came with the Battery Tender Charger. Besides I didn't like the brand name "Sparking".
Nothing wrong with that, especially if you have the battery tender located right at the vehicle and there is little chance of the wire shorting or getting damaged. I have my battery tender plugged in inside my garage and run a 25ft extension wire from it to the battery. That is a pretty small wire that could easily get damaged and shorted. The maintainer will shut down itself if the wire shorts or the connection is lost, but that wire from the battery would still be live and would melt and light up like a toaster element and could very easily cause a fire. Having the inline fuse at the battery side protects that wire from melting if there is ever a dead short.

*edit* Looks like the one you posted the pic of with the alligator clip is fused as well. The ones I have don't have the inline fuse. Having the setup I have is also convenient like I set it up on my plow truck, which I plug in every time I am done plowing. That one I have running out through the front so I don't have to open the hood to connect or disconnect.
Dantrax likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #758 of 809 (permalink) Old 04-07-2019, 01:42 PM

Car: 2018 Outback 2.5i Limited, No Eyesight, No Navigation
That is a good point about the long red hard wire with no fuse. I have a Battery Tender that came with alligator clips and a fuse right next to the red clip. I bought it about a year ago. I think it also came with the plug option. If so, I put those wires in storage somewhere. Other good reasons for the plug option is if you have a battery that is hard to reach or if you want to set things up so popping the hood is unnecessary.
post #759 of 809 (permalink) Old 04-07-2019, 01:56 PM

A demonstration of why a fuse is a good idea.

lfdal and Dantrax like this.

post #760 of 809 (permalink) Old 04-07-2019, 09:46 PM

Car: 2017 Outback
Quote:
A demonstration of why a fuse is a good idea.

I do the same with winches,I also use and Anderson disconnect.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: