Gen5: Replacing the original battery with BETTER - Page 77 - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums
 452Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 4.00 average.
post #761 of 794 (permalink) Old 04-07-2019, 10:00 PM

Car: 2011 outback 3.6R LT. 2015 Outback 2.5 (white) eyesight, tow pakage, skid plate, moon roof
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
My battery failed on 2015 2,5 at 24K I recieved a new battery under warranty after one day trip delay. I drove 448 miles home. Battery failed one week later. Insisted local Subaru dealer flash the computer. They did and that resolved the problem. You really need to have a temporary power source plugged in while you change battery.

i have since bought a Janco power pack

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #762 of 794 (permalink) Old 04-08-2019, 09:50 PM

Car: 2018 White Outback Touring 2.5i
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danver View Post
A demonstration of why a fuse is a good idea.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vLTkkXajDVc
We used to use lead seals as cigar lighters. We would wrap the seal cable around your pen about 6 coils or so. Then put one lead on the positive & one on the negative of a 6 volt lantern battery & voila a nice glowing hot coil of wire to light your smoke. Oh yeah I forgot to mention it but this is what I did with my motorcycle. I just plug it in, on the off season & my 2014 VStrom battery is still working just fine. That's five years when prior to using the Battery Tender I never got more than a year or two out of a bike battery. I swear by the Battery Tenders.

2018 White Outback Touring 2.5
post #763 of 794 (permalink) Old 04-12-2019, 08:16 PM

Car: 2018 3.6R Limited with #2 package in Crystal White Pearl
Garage
I had the battery light come on my 2018 a couple weeks ago, I thought I was being bit by the curse. I pulled my connectors off the battery and threw my charger on for about 5 hours. I reconnected the battery and fired her up-still had the light on. I had neglected to check the interior of the batter cable connectors (because the car is new with only 15k on it) like I usually do. I pulled them off and noticed that they seemed to have like grey paint coating the interior so I got to work with my battery brush and cleaned both of them as well as the posts, re attached and fired her up only to see the **** battery light still on. I started to look all around the engine compartment to see if I was missing something else. I then noticed that not only was my alternator not turning but the belt was not on. Difficult to see because the 3.6 has a huge engine cover on it. I started to look around to see WTF was going on and I see a small pair of teeth and some bugging eyes from some brown fur down near the crank pulley. I had a rat in the serpentine belt all wrapped up and had thrown off the belt. After prying him and the belt off I went on the quest to replace the belt as it had been compromised by being thrown. Tough to find the belt-nobody has them-even Subaru as the car was so new. The dealer asked why I was replacing it and how many miles were on the car? I just showed him the pictures.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4462.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	2.05 MB
ID:	449839  
Fibber2, jws360, jakemccoy and 2 others like this.

May the Four Winds Blow You Safely Home
post #764 of 794 (permalink) Old 04-12-2019, 09:17 PM

Car: 2018 Outback 2.5i Limited, No Eyesight, No Navigation
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10SCJed View Post
I had the battery light come on my 2018 a couple weeks ago, I thought I was being bit by the curse. I pulled my connectors off the battery and threw my charger on for about 5 hours. I reconnected the battery and fired her up-still had the light on. I had neglected to check the interior of the batter cable connectors (because the car is new with only 15k on it) like I usually do. I pulled them off and noticed that they seemed to have like grey paint coating the interior so I got to work with my battery brush and cleaned both of them as well as the posts, re attached and fired her up only to see the **** battery light still on. I started to look all around the engine compartment to see if I was missing something else. I then noticed that not only was my alternator not turning but the belt was not on. Difficult to see because the 3.6 has a huge engine cover on it. I started to look around to see WTF was going on and I see a small pair of teeth and some bugging eyes from some brown fur down near the crank pulley. I had a rat in the serpentine belt all wrapped up and had thrown off the belt. After prying him and the belt off I went on the quest to replace the belt as it had been compromised by being thrown. Tough to find the belt-nobody has them-even Subaru as the car was so new. The dealer asked why I was replacing it and how many miles were on the car? I just showed him the pictures.
It is good you took a pic. Otherwise, that story would be hard for anybody to believe.
russellpat and 10SCJed like this.
post #765 of 794 (permalink) Old 04-13-2019, 12:20 AM Thread Starter

Location: Behind enemy lines in occupied portions of what was once part of the USA
Car: 2016 3.6R with all options, 2014 Crosstrek
Quote:
Well that's not something you see every day!! Wow!!

https://getyarn.io/yarn-clip/65854a4...b-9ed31d655811
post #766 of 794 (permalink) Old 04-13-2019, 05:51 AM

Car: 2018 White Outback Touring 2.5i
Garage
Quote:
Good thing you got him before he got to chew your wiring or damage something else. My upstairs neighbor who parks next to me leaves trail mix in his car. It has attracted rodents who have been leaving shells on top of my intake manifold. They got under the hood insulation of my CRV & chewed the windshield washer spray hose again. I'm getting some rodent be gone today & putting it all over the driveway where we park to fend them off I hope without hurting his dog. Oh & he wasn't as lucky as you. He found 3 mice running around in back of his Explorer. Can't imagine having to put mouse traps in my car. Edit: I found 3 dead baby mice in the hood insulation this time. I sprayed it up with the mouse be gone & put the crystals on the driveway around the cars.
10SCJed likes this.

2018 White Outback Touring 2.5
post #767 of 794 (permalink) Old 04-13-2019, 03:29 PM

Car: 2015 3.6R Limited
Quote:
...Tough to find the belt-nobody has them-even Subaru as the car was so new. The dealer asked why I was replacing it and how many miles were on the car? I just showed him the pictures.
That's surprising. I believe it's been the same belt on the 3.6 since MY 2015 (when they got rid of the PS pump).
ammcinnis and Dantrax like this.
post #768 of 794 (permalink) Old 04-13-2019, 05:07 PM

Car: 2015 Legacy Premium 2.5 CVT w/EyeSight+SRVD ... 2016 Outback Premium 2.5 CVT w/EyeSight+SRVD
Quote:
Tough to find the belt-nobody has them-even Subaru as the car was so new.
That part's hard to believe. Same belt for MY 2015-2019.
Dantrax likes this.

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there." ~ The Cheshire Cat (Alice in Wonderland)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #769 of 794 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 05:57 AM

Car: White 2019 Touring 3.6R, Silver 2015 Forester Touring 2.5i
The battery in our 2015 Forester lasted 59 months. It was beginning to slow crank at start up and there is no corrosion on the terminals. I knew it wouldn't be long before my wife got stranded somewhere so I replaced it last week out of caution and it starts right up as it should. I'm not spending 2-1/2 times more than I need to on a high end battery though.
post #770 of 794 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 08:47 AM

Car: '14 Subi OBW, '02 Subi OBW (gone now, but well loved), '15 Toyota Sienna, '13 Honda CR-V
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dantrax View Post
Good thing you got him before he got to chew your wiring or damage something else. My upstairs neighbor who parks next to me leaves trail mix in his car. It has attracted rodents who have been leaving shells on top of my intake manifold. They got under the hood insulation of my CRV & chewed the windshield washer spray hose again. I'm getting some rodent be gone today & putting it all over the driveway where we park to fend them off I hope without hurting his dog. Oh & he wasn't as lucky as you. He found 3 mice running around in back of his Explorer. Can't imagine having to put mouse traps in my car. Edit: I found 3 dead baby mice in the hood insulation this time. I sprayed it up with the mouse be gone & put the crystals on the driveway around the cars.
Same problem happening to my kid's 2013 Honda CR-V. The hood and firewall insulation is all torn up, but (KNOCK ON WOOD) so far no wiring damage. Liquid Fence and other mammal sprays have worked well for me in the garden, and I'm thinking of spraying the blacktop where she parks. Maybe it will produce enough fumes to keep them at bay, without having to actually douse the car with that wonderful rotten egg stuff!

Dantrax likes this.

2002 OBW base model with automatic. Added: CD player, Security System, tweeters & subwoofer, trailer hitch, lighting mods, cabin filters, hood deflector, drivers lumbar mods, winter tires.
2014 OBW Premium, CVT & Moonroof. Added: trailer hitch, lighting mods, upgraded horn, winter tire/wheel/TPMS package.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: