Gen5: Replacing the original battery with BETTER - Page 78 - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums
 439Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 4.00 average.
post #771 of 779 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 08:53 AM

Car: '14 Subi OBW, '02 Subi OBW (gone now, but well loved), '15 Toyota Sienna, '13 Honda CR-V
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10SCJed View Post
.......... I had a rat in the serpentine belt all wrapped up and had thrown off the belt. After prying him and the belt off I went on the quest to replace the belt as it had been compromised by being thrown. Tough to find the belt-nobody has them-even Subaru as the car was so new. The dealer asked why I was replacing it and how many miles were on the car? I just showed him the pictures.
Your story sort of reminds me of when I had my woodworking shop in the barn/garage while we were restoring an 1880's farmhouse. I hadn't used the 12" two wheel band saw in a few weeks, and apparently a family of mice thought it would be great to build a nest in the upper wheel. Can you picture the scene when I placed a nice piece of wood on the table and turned the darn thing on? Yes, hot and cold running mice parts! After my shower and a day of cleaning, all was right again.... yuk

2002 OBW base model with automatic. Added: CD player, Security System, tweeters & subwoofer, trailer hitch, lighting mods, cabin filters, hood deflector, drivers lumbar mods, winter tires.
2014 OBW Premium, CVT & Moonroof. Added: trailer hitch, lighting mods, upgraded horn, winter tire/wheel/TPMS package.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #772 of 779 (permalink) Old 04-16-2019, 02:24 PM

Car: 2018 3.6R Limited with #2 package in Crystal White Pearl
Garage
Shredded mouse-it's whats for breakfast.

May the Four Winds Blow You Safely Home
post #773 of 779 (permalink) Old 04-16-2019, 11:36 PM

Car: 2017 2.5i Premium Lapis Blue
This post would probably fit better somewhere else but since it is a continuation of my hard-wired battery maintainer plug I will just put it here.

Since I already had this convenient little fused power source/maintainer connection that only be used on rare occasions I plug in my battery maintainer I decided to find a secondary use for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danver View Post

I sometimes wish there was an underhood light that came on automatically when the hood is opened, so I added one using my maintainer plug as the power source. When I want to use the maintainer I will just have to unplug the light.

For the light to come on automatically I used a spring loaded switch and made a bracket out of aluminum to mount it. When the hood is opened it completes the circuit and the two LED lights I mounted to the underside of the hood come on.

The way it is set right now the lights come on when I pop the latch and the hood is still on the safety latch. I think I am fine with that but might adjust it later so the lights don't come on until the hood is opened past the safety latch.

Installing this during the day I had no idea if the two lights would be enough or if the location would work well. I figured I could add another light or two towards the back of the hood if needed, but when I tested it after dark there was plenty of light.

For this test run I just twisted some wire connections together so I need to go back and shorten up a couple of wires and do some proper connections, but so far I like the results. I unplugged everything when I was done until the wiring is done correctly.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0775.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	443.2 KB
ID:	450077   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0776.jpg
Size:	388.7 KB
ID:	450079   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0778.jpg
Size:	414.0 KB
ID:	450081   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0768.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	445.7 KB
ID:	450083   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0765.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	356.8 KB
ID:	450085  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #774 of 779 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 09:35 AM

Car: 2017 Outback
I like your lights,good idea
Danver likes this.
post #775 of 779 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 02:09 PM

Car: 2010 Outback Premium 2.5i
Lighting up the engine compartment looks like my next project....
Danver likes this.
post #776 of 779 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 08:35 PM

Car: 2018 Outback 2.5i Limited, No Eyesight, No Navigation
With a Fumoto valve installed, you could do a full oil engine in the pitch dark without any tools.
post #777 of 779 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 08:39 PM

Car: 2018 OB Limited 2.5

Danver likes this.

Shawn in VA (USA)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #778 of 779 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 11:44 PM

Car: 2017 2.5i Premium Lapis Blue
One more function for my multi-purpose accessory underhood wiring harness. This one more of a "just because I can" than something I really need.

This cigarette-lighter style socket has the same connector as the battery maintainers so I can plug this in to use accessories that would plug into a cigarette lighter.

I recently put new wires and switch in my vintage 1970's or 1980s era handheld spotlight that I have had since I was in high school. That 40-year-old halogen bulb has definitely lost some of its brightness from back in the day but amazingly it still works.

A small air pump could probably be plugged into it but the one I have is rated at 20 amps and has alligator clips so it gets hooked directly to the battery terminals anyway. I can't think of anything else I currently have that I could use the accessory plug for.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0782.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	495.8 KB
ID:	450163   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0786.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	486.0 KB
ID:	450165  

post #779 of 779 (permalink) Old Today, 12:56 AM

Car: 85BRAT97SVX03Baja5mtHonda's
fialed bnattery owners please log you NHTSA issues here...
https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/VehicleComplaint/

i think that is the link. please dont fail to complain. it only makes these problems go away/.....

85BRAT 97SVX, 2x91 Honda CRX, 91 RT4wd
03Baja

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in