Gen5: Replacing the original battery with BETTER - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums
 440Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 4.00 average.
post #1 of 779 (permalink) Old 12-09-2016, 08:07 AM Thread Starter

Location: Behind enemy lines in occupied portions of what was once part of the USA
Car: 2016 3.6R with all options, 2014 Crosstrek
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Gen5: Replacing the original battery with BETTER

Has anyone replaced the OEM lame battery with a better one?

Was doing some work on our 3.6 and after 2 hours with the dome lights on (yes, my fault for not shutting off) a dead battery quickly ensued. While charging I saw it had all of 490 CCA, which to me says it may be weak and underpowered. Just replaced battery in my older Legacy with whatever Sears unit Consumers liked. Something like 700 CCA and, I perhaps wrongly assume, has more capacity. About $100. The battery tray has ample room it would seem.

Anyone dump the factory battery for a bigger and, I hope,, better one? If so, why? What did you get?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 779 (permalink) Old 12-09-2016, 08:17 AM

Car: 2015 Legacy 3.6R ES, 2014 Forester Touring ES, 2005 Jeep Liberty Limited
Less headaches.

Laughter is the key to happiness

BadTrainDriver likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Laughing at oneself and with others is good for the soul.
post #3 of 779 (permalink) Old 12-09-2016, 08:17 AM

Yes, many have.
Search is your friend.
hoppyjr, ammcinnis and mowcowbell like this.
post #4 of 779 (permalink) Old 12-09-2016, 08:30 AM

Car: 2017 Outback Premium, 2.5l, Venetian Red Pearl
If you do a search here, there's a ton of posts about dead batteries. Search for "dead battery" or see this huge post about it.

I bought my Outback last week and on Monday I replaced the battery with an Optima Red Top 25. Did the replacement at Autozone. As bad as the battery is for the 6 cylinder, it is even worse for the 4 cylinder (just 365 CCA).

More Info about Optima Red Top 25 at Amazon

As for why, the stock battery - despite being new - barely started the car when the headlights were in "auto." And this is in a semi-heated garage. Didn't take a genius to figure out that starting in cold weather was gonna be iffy, at best. Plus, I didn't want to worry about having a dead battery in the remote locations I like to visit.

New battery = one less problem at inopportune times to worry about.
post #5 of 779 (permalink) Old 12-09-2016, 09:05 AM

Car: 2015 3.6R
Garage
Is there anything special that needs to be done after replacing a battery like radio codes, etc.?

2015 3.6R ~ Debadged ~ Emblem Overlays ~ 19mm RSB ~ BSM ~ JDM Wheel Arches ~ Window Visors ~ Husky Floor Liners ~ LED Fogs ~ LED Turn Signal DRL Switchbacks ~ LED Reverse Lights ~ Pedal Commander ~ Tail as Turn ~ Paddle Shifter Extensions
post #6 of 779 (permalink) Old 12-09-2016, 09:44 AM

Car: 16 LBP 2.5 Limited
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOXR 6 View Post
Is there anything special that needs to be done after replacing a battery like radio codes, etc.?
Nope. You might lose your saved stations, but that's about it.

Yes, replaced 2 days after we bought ours. Has 800 CCAs I believe.

Sent from my SHIELD Tablet K1 using Tapatalk
BOXR 6 likes this.

'16 LBP 2.5i Limited | sans NAV, sunroof, ES | 5k VLEDs HO interior | 5k LMZ Platinum headlights/fogs | 5k HO reverse and license plate LEDs
post #7 of 779 (permalink) Old 12-09-2016, 10:05 AM

Car: 2016 Outback Limited 3.6
I did not loose radio presets but you I did need to reset the diver & passenger auto window. Very simple. You just manually raise halfway then back down then all the way up. Something like like. Smart move to put in a good battery. I also use a group 34 800 CCA.
BOXR 6 and assyrequired like this.

2016 Outback 3.6 Limited - 19mm Rear Stabilizer - LED Fog's / DRL
post #8 of 779 (permalink) Old 12-09-2016, 10:44 AM

Car: 2017 Outback 2.5i Limited
Dumped my OEM 356 CCA battery for a Group 34 Optima Yellow Top with 750 CCA. Around $200 right now at Amazon, but they periodically go on sale for around $180.

https://www.amazon.com/Optima-Batteries-8014-045-YellowTop-Purpose/dp/B000MSBUA4/

Just be forewarned, some of the Amazon distribution centers don't have a clue about how to properly pack a battery for shipment. My first battery from them arrived dented due to poor packaging. The bright side was they sent me a second battery and didn't ask for the first battery in return. That slightly dented battery works great in my Dad's workshop attached to a solar panel.
beachmama likes this.
post #9 of 779 (permalink) Old 12-09-2016, 11:03 AM

Car: 2017 Outback 2.5i Limited, EyeSight & Nav.
OEM battery is working just fine for me, so no, i will not replace it until it stops doing what it's designed to do. I also dome leave the battery on for extended periods of time without the car running. Seems like common sense instead of blaming the battery. I've never had to replace the stock battery on any of the three new Subarus I've bought in the past until many, many miles down the line until it was required. No sense in wasting your money on something that's working just fine now. Sounds more like user error to me, but hey, if you've got money to burn, y all means go for it! I also have been in the habit of turning off the heater/AC/fan and heated seats before shutting the vehicle off in previous vehicles I've owned. Battery seems fine so far in the OB.
dhawk and jimpal like this.
post #10 of 779 (permalink) Old 12-09-2016, 11:13 AM

Car: 2017 Outback Touring, Crystal White - fully loaded
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mowcowbell View Post
Dumped my OEM 356 CCA battery for a Group 34 Optima Yellow Top with 750 CCA. Around $200 right now at Amazon, but they periodically go on sale for around $180.

https://www.amazon.com/Optima-Batteries-8014-045-YellowTop-Purpose/dp/B000MSBUA4/

Just be forewarned, some of the Amazon distribution centers don't have a clue about how to properly pack a battery for shipment. My first battery from them arrived dented due to poor packaging. The bright side was they sent me a second battery and didn't ask for the first battery in return. That slightly dented battery works great in my Dad's workshop attached to a solar panel.
When I went to the link in Amazon and entered auto info, there was an indication that this battery didn't fit. Same on the Optima website. Is this battery small/large?

ELCID86 likes this.

Norm in NC

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: