power lift gate opens - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums
 19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 1.00 average.
post #1 of 60 (permalink) Old 01-03-2017, 10:24 AM Thread Starter

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Question power lift gate opens

The power lift gate on my 2016 outback has twice opened on its own. The first time it was parked in the garage and we didnt see it until hours later and by then the battery was completely dead. The second time it was in our office parking lot so luckily we noticed fairly quickly. Has anyone else had this happen?

Richard0244 and Darya like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 60 (permalink) Old 01-03-2017, 11:51 AM

Car: 2015 3.6R
Garage
Has never happened to me and I don't recall seeing any mention of it. Is this happening when you're closing it? Some people go to close it, walk away and then the gate hits something and goes back up as it's supposed to. If you're just parking and it's doing it, then it sounds like a trip to the dealer is in order.

2015 3.6R ~ Debadged ~ Emblem Overlays ~ 19mm RSB ~ BSM ~ JDM Wheel Arches ~ Window Visors ~ Husky Floor Liners ~ LED Fogs ~ LED Turn Signal DRL Switchbacks ~ LED Reverse Lights ~ Pedal Commander ~ Tail as Turn ~ Paddle Shifter Extensions
post #3 of 60 (permalink) Old 01-03-2017, 12:07 PM
RAV

Car: Outback 16
Just my 2 cents.. may be something pressing lift gate button on the keyfob when you keep it in your pocket or somewhere
post #4 of 60 (permalink) Old 01-03-2017, 12:14 PM

Car: 2017 Outback 2.5i Limited
Never has happened to me.

At home, my key fob resides in a bowl about 30 feet away from the garage.

At work, I'm underground about 3 blocks away from the vehicle. Any accidental key press while in my pocket at work isn't within range.
post #5 of 60 (permalink) Old 01-03-2017, 12:29 PM

Car: 2016 3.6R Limited, w/ES, Ice Silver
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncamp View Post
The power lift gate on my 2016 outback has twice opened on its own. The first time it was parked in the garage and we didnt see it until hours later and by then the battery was completely dead. The second time it was in our office parking lot so luckily we noticed fairly quickly. Has anyone else had this happen?
There are "pinch" safety strips on both sides of the door. Perhaps they're malfunctioning, or something is getting caught in there.

As others have mentioned, I don't recall anyone ever posting this problem. Weird.
post #6 of 60 (permalink) Old 01-03-2017, 06:26 PM
Hal

Car: 2015 Outback Premium
Had it happen to me once, and today I managed to set off the "emergency alarm". In both cases i was getting into my wife's Legacy parked next to my Outback. So I had the keys to her car in my hand and the keys to mine were in my pocket rather than in my hand. When I sat down something (change, pocket Knife) pushed the button on my key fob.

2015 Outback 2.5L Premium
2013 Legacy 2.5L
post #7 of 60 (permalink) Old 01-04-2017, 12:04 AM

Car: '17 2.5 Limited, White
Garage
Do you keep your key fob in a back pocket? I keep mine in the rear-left. One day I was at home sitting upstairs and petting my dog and felt the fob click against my butt cheek. I thought nothing of it because my old '04 Corolla wouldn't have done anything. My parents came home about 30 mins later and told me my car on the driveway had it's trunk open.

This actually helped me a lot. I hadn't been able to open my hatch via fob. Wasn't holding the button down long enough and was only getting the responsive beeps.

Astrid the SCUBAru and I love long drives along the coast and she's always be down to get dirty with me.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 60 (permalink) Old 01-05-2017, 08:27 PM

Car: 2015 Outback 2.5i Limited w ES (Husky)
Your OB needs exorcism..... Amen!

My neighbour's Acura MDX had his liftgate twice left open overnight and once I helped to closed it not realising a cat has went in to explore and got trapped. He later told me it was his toddler playing with the key fob and the 2nd could be accidental trigger to the key fob while carrying stuff.
post #9 of 60 (permalink) Old 01-05-2017, 08:47 PM

Car: 2015 Legacy 3.6R ES, 2014 Forester Touring ES, 2005 Jeep Liberty Limited
Never had a problem with the power liftgate.

Laughter is the key to happiness

Laughing at oneself and with others is good for the soul.
post #10 of 60 (permalink) Old 01-05-2017, 10:55 PM

Car: Tungsten 2015 3.6R Outback
My Power lift gate has inadvertently gone up only when there was something obstructing it at the bottom of the cargo area. When the lift gate struck the obstruction, it automatically went back up. I simply removed the obstruction and the lift gate then closed normally.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: