Stuck fuel door v2.0 - Page 2 - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-13-2017, 01:49 PM

Car: 2016 Outback 2.5i Base PZEV
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
@GeoffD
It's your prerogative to not follow the severe maint schedule, but that's kind of risky I would think in terms of your warranty. Plus, I think there's some reasoning behind it, as @ammcinnis pointed out. Personally, I follow the schedule for warranty purposes and because I'm not a mechanic, I'm just a casual diy-er. If I go to the service dept, I bring the booklet with me, and I've never had them recommend anything different, although I do admit, I usually start off the conversation with "my manual says", so maybe that's why they don't recommend anything different. If it was different, I would ask why, but unless they can point to a specific problem, I would chose the manual. The only way I would think they were screwing me was if their responses were belitting to me or if they said the manual was bogus. I am a low mileage driver so my maint is based on time and not mileage, and several severe driving conditions apply to me.

Hopefully your second fuel door mechanism replacement lasts forever. I was surprised to read several postings where members reported it failing again.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-13-2017, 02:24 PM

Car: 2011 OB 2.5i Prem CVT HK/AWP, Ruby Red Pearl
Quote:
Originally Posted by wiggidywac View Post
I follow the schedule for warranty purposes...
You’re aware your warranty has you innocent until the dealer proves you guilty, of course.
If I do come in for service, I don’t need my kids’ birth certificate. I tell them what I’m paying for and that’s that.

post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-13-2017, 02:27 PM

Car: 2016 Outback 2.5i Base PZEV
@GasGuzz Well it sounds like you know everything. Good luck.
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-13-2017, 02:31 PM

Nowhere did I post I know everything, but perhaps adequately enough (if I may) - it’s just a car.
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-13-2017, 03:11 PM Thread Starter

Car: 2015 Outback 3.6R Package 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by GasGuzz View Post
Youíre aware your warranty has you innocent until the dealer proves you guilty, of course.
If I do come in for service, I donít need my kidsí birth certificate. I tell them what Iím paying for and thatís that.
And the manual says 6,000 mile oil change intervals unless it's severe service. I'm exceeding the manufacturers oil requirements by using synthetic instead of conventional oil in a Subaru 6 cylinder engine. Other than turbo engines that generate a lot of heat, there isn't any risk that 7 quarts of synthetic will break down in 6,000 miles of normal use.

This is a blatant dealership scam. If you look at the video clip earlier in this thread, the tech in the video clip also tried to claim that engine air filter is a 15,000 mile replacement interval. That's not what the manual says. Another dealership scam. Even worse, you can see in the video clip that the engine air filter is still completely white as you'd expect it to be with only 5,000 miles on it.

I'm not even remotely concerned that I run any risk of voiding my warranty by running Mobil One synthetic in a 3.6R with a 5,000 to 6,000 oil change interval.
post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-13-2017, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasGuzz View Post
Youíre aware your warranty has you innocent until the dealer proves you guilty, of course.
Not until you take them to court after they deny your warranty claim. Just standing in front of the service desk beating your chest just doesn't cut it.

I assume you are aware that any given dealer can refuse to perform warranty work on your vehicle if they feel the possibility exists for Subaru not to reimburse them for the warranty work.

"Another Brick In The Wall", PF 1979
"Happiness Is A Warm Gun", Beatles 1968
"The Rubber Banned Man",Spinners 1976
2011 SS Camaro
1984 Corvette
post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-13-2017, 05:10 PM

Um, all I’m assuming and aware of is a 5K air filter that isn’t replaced on schedule isn’t going to kill an engine.
Nothing to beat your chest about.
post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-24-2017, 11:46 AM

Car: 2015 Outback 2.5i, purchased new Oct 2014
My fuel door has become a real problem. Unfortunately I'm past the B-to-B warranty so I'll have to bite this one.

As far as the failure goes, it's not a problem with the pin, the hinge seems to have a lot of float to it and the door is moved so far to the rear it binds in the body. It's to the point that it's as hard to close as it is to open. It binds before the inner boss of the door is close to the pin. If you watch the pin while someone uses the release lever, the pin fully retracts.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: