Spare Tire Question - Page 5 - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums
 41Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 1.00 average.
post #41 of 85 (permalink) Old 02-08-2017, 11:19 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by skipw View Post
You certainly want the valve stem out when it's mounted. Having it also reachable when stowed is only a matter of stowing it valve-side up in the well instead of valve-side down.

The shorter hold-down bolt is an advantage, I guess, but the current arrangement requires that wasteful and awkward cone on the bottom of the tray to support it, and discourages regularly checking the pressure in the spare.

Wait, am I missing something? The spare is not even close to being laterally symmetrical and can only fit in the well with the valve core facing down. My wife's Rogue is the same way and they both really annoy me. If I'm wrong imma flip those suckers over this weekend. But I don't think I'm wrong.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 85 (permalink) Old 02-08-2017, 01:29 PM

Car: '15 Outback 2.5i Premium
Quote:
Originally Posted by marmer View Post
Wait, am I missing something? The spare is not even close to being laterally symmetrical and can only fit in the well with the valve core facing down. My wife's Rogue is the same way and they both really annoy me. If I'm wrong imma flip those suckers over this weekend. But I don't think I'm wrong.
I was overdue checking the pressure in the spare so I needed to take it out to do that, anyway. It was about 5 psi low, so I'm glad I checked! Experimenting some while it was out, I found that the spare fits into the well "upside down" (with the valve core up) just fine. There's a three-armed foam spacer, maybe 1" or so thick, under the spare that I'd forgotten about.

The problem with just flipping the spare over is that the storage tray that fits above the spare has a conical bulge molded into it that fits into the hollow space inside the wheel when it's stowed valve-side down. Much of the volume inside the wheel appears not to be used for storage; it's just wasted space. If you remove the lower spacer (more wasted space) and set the donut into the floor of the the well with the valve up, it fits nicely, but the hold-down bolt is about 1 1/2" too short and the bulge on the bottom of the tray keeps that from sitting flush.

My wife's '03 Civic is the same - the spare is stowed with the valve stem down. There must be a logical reason why so many manufacturers do this, but I can't fathom what it is. Whatever the reason, it sure makes maintaining the spare tire a bigger nuisance than it otherwise would be.

post #43 of 85 (permalink) Old 02-08-2017, 07:08 PM

Car: 2012 Subaru Outback 3.6R Limited, with custom-added always-on auxillary power for an inverter, 3x DC jacks, and a radio transciever.
Quote:
Originally Posted by marmer View Post
In my experience that works only on cars that don't stow things in/on the spare. Sedans that put it up on a "shelf" (old Crown Vic) it works well.

If you ditch the jack and other tools and ditch the foam part and get a longer wingnut then you can do it in the Outback. But its a bigger headache to relocate those tools.

I top mine off every year or so and keep a 12v pump under the floor for emergencies.
post #44 of 85 (permalink) Old 03-05-2017, 03:57 PM

Car: 2019 Outback 3.6R Limited Magnelite Grey and loaded; '98 Legacy Outback Limited MT-53,150 miles!
Subaru had the better idea when their cars carried their spare tire over the engine under the hood. My '87 wagon had that and it had a nice big storage box area under the cargo floor.

I'm seriously thinking of removing the spare from my new '17 OB, leaving it in the garage. Then a puncture kit and 12v compressor would have plenty of room to ride along with first aid kit, extra warmth clothing, and what all else.

One thing I won't be doing is a change to runflats.

The spare, or better a full size wheel/tire could ride up top on the car but fuel mileage and some would say looks would suffer.
post #45 of 85 (permalink) Old 10-06-2017, 06:01 PM

Car: 2004 BMW 325i and 2018 Outback 3.6 Limited
Please clarify for me. In a 2017/2018 Outback the well for the spare is too small for a standard tire/wheel. Is that correct? My dealer told me a standard tire would fit into the hole but that the fitted foam insulation/tool/jack carrier would not fit onto a standard wheel and thus would stick out above floor level in the luggage compartment.

Please confirm whether or not a standard tire would fit into the spare tire well. I travel much in isolated places and a donut good for 50 miles would be a joke.

Thanks!
post #46 of 85 (permalink) Old 10-08-2017, 10:03 PM

Car: 2015 Carbide Gray Outback Limited
I think the least Subaru could do is make the spare tire well big enough for a full size tire. If you get a flat and need to change the tire, you need a big enough well to fit the flat tire into. If you are on a trip with the back loaded with gear, you want to be able to put the flat tire in the well out of the way. Stupid not to allow the full size tire to fit in the well.
post #47 of 85 (permalink) Old 10-09-2017, 03:58 AM

Car: 2016 ISM Outback LTD, 20mm RSB, Draw-Tite 76227 Hitch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Standardshift View Post
Please clarify for me. In a 2017/2018 Outback the well for the spare is too small for a standard tire/wheel. Is that correct? My dealer told me a standard tire would fit into the hole but that the fitted foam insulation/tool/jack carrier would not fit onto a standard wheel and thus would stick out above floor level in the luggage compartment.

Please confirm whether or not a standard tire would fit into the spare tire well. I travel much in isolated places and a donut good for 50 miles would be a joke.

Thanks!
Quote:
Originally Posted by incabird1 View Post
I think the least Subaru could do is make the spare tire well big enough for a full size tire. If you get a flat and need to change the tire, you need a big enough well to fit the flat tire into. If you are on a trip with the back loaded with gear, you want to be able to put the flat tire in the well out of the way. Stupid not to allow the full size tire to fit in the well.
From my understanding, USDM Outbacks cannot fit a full-size spare inside the well, while EU and Australian Outbacks can. However, there is a tradeoff - USDM Outbacks get a larger fuel tank (70 liters/18.5 gallons vs 60 liters/15.8 gallons for EU and Oz).
post #48 of 85 (permalink) Old 10-09-2017, 06:02 AM

Car: 2016 Outback Limited Titanium
Send a message via Skype™ to SWKohnle08
I check the spare tire once a year. I have had two flats with my 2016 OB and both times I was able to plug the tire roadside with my tire patch kit and air-up with my portable compressor. In both cases it was caused by a nail or screw that I could easily find, pull and plug. I wouldn’t recommend removing the donut entirely in case of a catastrophic tire failure where the sidewall gets blown out and a plug is not possible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #49 of 85 (permalink) Old 10-10-2017, 04:09 AM

Car: '17 Outback 2.5i Premium
Quote:
Originally Posted by Standardshift View Post

Thanks!
The well will fit a full-sized tire in a Legacy because the tire diameter is ~1" smaller; the larger tire for an Outback will not fit in the well (I have verified this).
post #50 of 85 (permalink) Old 10-10-2017, 07:13 AM

Car: 2004 BMW 325i and 2018 Outback 3.6 Limited
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronemus View Post
The well will fit a full-sized tire in a Legacy because the tire diameter is ~1" smaller; the larger tire for an Outback will not fit in the well (I have verified this).
The Subaru salesman and the Service Mgr. removed the donut tire and put a full sized tire in the well [2018 OB] - and it fit. It was suggested that the styrofoam sound insulation and tool/jack carrier could be shaved down to make it thinner and it would then be only slightly higher than floor level. But, I've been assured that a full sized spare will fit.

This problem is getting very tricky as it seems that it has been tried before and the tire would not fit!

I should see this myself next week and will post my findings here.

Old Fashioned Guy

The good old days: carburetor, distributor, vent windows, stick shift, emergency brakes...and no computer.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: