Spare Tire Question - Page 6 - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums
 41Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 1.00 average.
post #51 of 85 (permalink) Old 10-10-2017, 09:17 AM

Car: 2018 2.5 Outback
Garage
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
If accessing the valve to check pressure on your spare while stowed. You can go to Tractor supply or a tire place and pick up a valve extension. Put it on your spare, and put it in correctly. Now you can check pressure, top off etc. and still have the foam cover fit as designed.

russellpat and r3ds4nd like this.

Desdemona's building a rocket ship...I just gotta go!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #52 of 85 (permalink) Old 10-10-2017, 10:27 AM

Car: 2004 BMW 325i and 2018 Outback 3.6 Limited
trfkcop - That's a great idea! My primary difficulty is determining if a full size tire/wheel will fit into the well. If it does I surely will get a valve extension.

Old Fashioned Guy

The good old days: carburetor, distributor, vent windows, stick shift, emergency brakes...and no computer.
post #53 of 85 (permalink) Old 10-15-2017, 02:25 PM

Car: UK spec 2016 2.5i Premium CVT
I can confirm Kodiak21s understanding - I have a 16 EU spec (Japan built) 2.5 Outback here in the UK, and got a full size 18 inch alloy spare and tyre which fits in the well. And we get the smaller 60 litre fuel tank.... :-) So some differences in the spec and features between the US and Japan built cars....
post #54 of 85 (permalink) Old 02-22-2018, 03:00 AM

Car: 2016 OB Premium
Quote:
Originally Posted by Standardshift View Post
The Subaru salesman and the Service Mgr. removed the donut tire and put a full sized tire in the well [2018 OB] - and it fit. It was suggested that the styrofoam sound insulation and tool/jack carrier could be shaved down to make it thinner and it would then be only slightly higher than floor level. But, I've been assured that a full sized spare will fit.

This problem is getting very tricky as it seems that it has been tried before and the tire would not fit!

I should see this myself next week and will post my findings here.
update on the full size spare. Did you get it too work properly?

2016 Outback
ABB-SBGG
post #55 of 85 (permalink) Old 02-22-2018, 06:33 AM

It fits!

My sincere apologies for not getting back to you guys re the spare tire question.
YES! The full size spare tire DOES fit in the spare tire well of my 2018 Outback. It's tight but doesn't touch. The big Styrofoam inset that fits over the standard/small spare tire will not fit with the full size spare - the trapdoor/cargo floor door would not close. I "shaved" off a lot of the Styrofoam to make it fit (which was a real pain) then decided that i'd just throw the Styrofoam inset away. That also meant that I would not have a "holder" for the tools. No big deal. I put the smaller tools in a bag and wrapped the jack in an old blanket. I store them in the wheel of the spare - the cargo floor door closes. Also, the lug wrench is tiny - I was concerned that it wouldn't have the leverage to take off a tight lug nut so I got a 2 foot piece of pipe from the hardware store to slip over the lug wrench to provide extra leverage. The pipe too fits under the cargo floor door.

So! There it is - a full sized spare tire in the spare tire well and the tools/jack, plus leverage pipe, and the cargo door closes.

The dealer told me that they wheel they used was not a 2018 wheel (I didn't want to buy a expensive fancy wheel for a spare). They used a 2017 wheel from a wreck. Told me they had to check to make sure the lug wrench would fit the lug nuts on the 2017 wheel as when they change wheels they sometimes have to change lug wrenches.

I'll be glad to answer any questions any may have. I feel a whole lot better having a REAL spare tire.
KSKarl, r3ds4nd and neemz like this.
post #56 of 85 (permalink) Old 02-22-2018, 11:22 AM

Car: 2018 Outback 2.5i Limited w/Eyesight
@Standardshift - That is great to hear and nice work! Do you have any pictures you could provide? It would be great to see.
post #57 of 85 (permalink) Old 02-22-2018, 11:30 AM

Nice I suspect Subaru may have been quietly listening to its owners who actually take cars to remote locations where a full size spare is needed and not optional.
post #58 of 85 (permalink) Old 02-22-2018, 04:30 PM

Car: 2017 Outback 2.5i Premium; 2019 Outback 2.5i Premium
@Standardshift Also, since different trim levels have different wheel sizes, would you know what size tire worked for you?

From this thread, it appears that a full-sized spare tire will fit in the rear storage area for 2018, but not for any 2017 trim level?
post #59 of 85 (permalink) Old 02-23-2018, 06:36 AM

It's been raining here so I've not been able to take a photo (I don't have a garage). Will try to do that today. Will also check the size of the tire. I still find it incredible that any car maker does not provide a real spare tire or at least the option of having one. Especially Subaru which makes a point of advertising its vehicles out in the "wilds."

Old Fashioned Guy

The good old days: carburetor, distributor, vent windows, stick shift, emergency brakes...and no computer.
post #60 of 85 (permalink) Old 02-23-2018, 07:33 AM

Car: 2017 Outback 3.6R Limited
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcausus View Post
@Standardshift Also, since different trim levels have different wheel sizes, would you know what size tire worked for you?
The different trim levels have different wheel sizes, but the corresponding tire heights (e.g. 60 vs. 65) are sized so that the overall wheel diameter is virtually identical. For fitting into the spare tire well, the key question is tire width. On Gen 5 models, all the trim levels sold in the US use 225 as the stock width.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: