2018 Outback STARLINK issue - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #1 of 55 (permalink) Old 08-19-2017, 11:54 AM Thread Starter

Car: 2018 OB 3.6R Limited w/Option 23
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Angry 2018 Outback STARLINK issue

I ordered my 2018 Outback 3.6R Limited on June 23 and took delivery on July 31 at Fitzgerald Subaru in Rockville, MD. It was one of the first 2018 models they received with the gray interior and it replaced a 2011 Outback 3.6R Limited which I purchased from them in June, 2010. My previous Outback had the black interior and after seeing the gray interior I would never go back to a black interior.

The 2018 Outback seems superior to the 2011 model in every respect. Unfortunately, I am experiencing an issue with the STARLINK system which I find to be extremely frustrating. Sometimes the STARLINK system will operate as expected in that it will “pair” with my iPhone5 and I can use the Phonebook screen for my contacts to make calls from the car. At other times the system will give me the screen, “No Contacts”, and at other times it will give me the screen “No Device Connected”. So far the STARLINK system operates in a random manner.

I e-mailed Customer Service at SOA and it took them almost three days to respond with a curt “take it to the dealer”. So far my dealer has no solution for my problem.

Specifically, I am asking that anyone on this message board who has a 2018 Outback with the STARLINK system to please respond to this thread with your experience to date with the STARLINK system. Together, we may be able to help SOA produce a solution to this issue.

Thanks in advance.

Fred Meloan

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 55 (permalink) Old 08-19-2017, 12:58 PM

Car: 2017 Outback 2.5i Limited
Let's see, handful of members on here with 2018 Outback, and an even smaller subset of members with an ancient iPhone5.

Have you rebooted your phone recently?

post #3 of 55 (permalink) Old 08-19-2017, 01:17 PM

If it wasn't working with a different car, I would rebuild your phone. Very easy to do if you have a computer with iTunes on it- just plug phone in to usb. I usually do it after every few iOS updates as things get corrupted on the phone. You can also do it from the cloud if you don't have iTunes. Google "HT204184"
post #4 of 55 (permalink) Old 08-19-2017, 02:48 PM

Car: 2000 Subaru Outback Limited
Garage
There is an update for Starlink , take it to the dealer, may or may not fix your issue, but a good place to start.

2002 WRX, STI engine swapped,daily.
1992 Turbo Integra GSR
2006 White Legacy SUS
2015 Limited Yellow Crosstrek
2008 Subaru Tribeca
Subaru Service Technician.
post #5 of 55 (permalink) Old 08-19-2017, 03:10 PM

Car: 2017 Outback Limited 2.5, Twilight Blue/Ivory, Eyesight. Also 1995 BMW 525i with 240,000 miles
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlasecki View Post
If it wasn't working with a different car, I would rebuild your phone. Very easy to do if you have a computer with iTunes on it- just plug phone in to usb. I usually do it after every few iOS updates as things get corrupted on the phone. You can also do it from the cloud if you don't have iTunes. Google "HT204184"
Sorry, what do you mean "rebuild" your phone? I have an "ancient" iPhone 5 running ios 10.3.3. Thanks

Thank you
Russell Casey, 2017 Outback Limited 2.5, Twilight Blue/Ivory with Eyesight. Build date: 7/19/16. Purchased 8/5/16 in USA. Currently about 22,000 miles.
Added LED backup, cargo, door courtesy lights and Lamin-X yellow film on LED fog lights. Nushield Dayvue antiglare screen, Soundproofed front/rear doors, floorboard, cargo floor, tailgate, cowl area & all wheel wells. 7/70 zero gold warranty

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 55 (permalink) Old 08-19-2017, 04:53 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirtef9 View Post
There is an update for Starlink , take it to the dealer, may or may not fix your issue, but a good place to start.
My information is that the 2018 has a new STARLINK system so it may be a bit early to expect Subaru to have a software update that will solve my issues. I have also "paired" another iPhone5 with my system and it has similar but not identical problems as those my iPhone is experiencing. I am hoping to learn from the experience of other owners but there is always the possibility that my iPhone has a bluetooth issue. I have had Apple re-set my phone and re-load all the software so hopefully my phone is not part of the problem.

So far I have not been able to get anyone to tell me if there is a TSB for the 2018 model year.

Fred Meloan
post #7 of 55 (permalink) Old 08-19-2017, 08:17 PM

Car: 2018 Subaru Outback 3.6R
Quote:
Originally Posted by FDMeloan View Post
My information is that the 2018 has a new STARLINK system so it may be a bit early to expect Subaru to have a software update that will solve my issues. I have also "paired" another iPhone5 with my system and it has similar but not identical problems as those my iPhone is experiencing. I am hoping to learn from the experience of other owners but there is always the possibility that my iPhone has a bluetooth issue. I have had Apple re-set my phone and re-load all the software so hopefully my phone is not part of the problem.

So far I have not been able to get anyone to tell me if there is a TSB for the 2018 model year.

Fred Meloan

Fred are you using both Bluetooth and lightning? I haven't got my car yet but I would assume Subaru would have the same issues Ford and Honda have using two outputs at once. We can just use lightning and no Bluetooth on those and it works fine but connecting both causes havoc. Also invest in an Apple brand cable as well. Not logical but cable does seem to matter as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #8 of 55 (permalink) Old 08-19-2017, 08:24 PM Thread Starter

LastCaress77:

My iPhone5 is connected via BT only.

I am beginning to wonder if I am the only 2018 Outback owner on this forum.

Fred Meloan
post #9 of 55 (permalink) Old 08-19-2017, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FDMeloan View Post
LastCaress77:

My iPhone5 is connected via BT only.

I am beginning to wonder if I am the only 2018 Outback owner on this forum.

Fred Meloan

I would try just using the lightning cable. Bluetooth is wonky trying to send that much data and corrupts often. It's fine for compressed audio but data not as much. I travel for a living and get to see a lot of rental cars. Without fail most all of them fail over BT the more you send it. Hyundai for some reason is amazing and handles everything I throw at it but all others are a mess.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #10 of 55 (permalink) Old 08-19-2017, 08:55 PM

My bad theory is that BT from car to HU and HU to phone interfere with each other.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: