Need info on 2018 TPMS sensors - Page 2 - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums
 39Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 1.00 average.
post #11 of 253 (permalink) Old 09-07-2017, 09:50 PM

Car: 2018 Outback 3.6R Limited
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
@Harleyduo, $125 for one is daylight robbery.....I will try get the aftermarket sensors programmed at the dealership without having to pay an arm and a leg.
I will try pass by this weekend and will keep you posted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 253 (permalink) Old 09-08-2017, 04:31 PM

Car: 2015 Outback 3.6R Package 23
I find it hard to believe that Subaru would change away from a commodity TPMS sender.

I bought closeout cheap 17" alloy wheels & senders from Tire Rack. That was the cheapest place I found senders and they came installed on the wheels along with the right spacers for the car. I bought Nokians locally.

I also bought an ATEQ TPMS QuickSet at Tire Rack for $120. The tire shop had to activate the senders and read the serial numbers with their gear but I reprogram my car between the winter senders and summer senders every 6 months.

ProTip on programming the car: If you have push button start, you need to hit the start button twice with your foot off the brake to wake up the ODB-II port so you can program the car. That's "ignition on".

If it were me, I'd call Tire Rack and ask about TPMS sender compatibility and pricing. They sell a bajillion winter tire/wheel setups so they've for-certain dealt with the 2018 Outback. I'd also call ATEQ and ask about compatibility for their tool. Tire Rack didn't have up-to-date information on it when I bought mine.

post #13 of 253 (permalink) Old 09-09-2017, 05:31 AM

@GeoffD, do you have a 2018 outback?

post #14 of 253 (permalink) Old 09-09-2017, 09:41 AM

Car: 2018 Subaru Outback 3.6R
I still have an 18 OB and the whatever TPMS still paired fine. The only hard part is finding a place with the updated tools to push the info to subie 18 over OBD. BigO here just got an update but didnt install yet and no go until the tech installed the update. All paired up and good to go.
post #15 of 253 (permalink) Old 09-09-2017, 12:22 PM

Car: 2015 Outback 3.6R Package 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimusoke View Post
@GeoffD, do you have a 2018 outback?

<------ Read the car ownership details

They're all 5th generation Outbacks. The differences are quite minor from 2015 to 2018. The TPMS system is not something Subaru engineered. They buy from the same suppliers as everybody else and mostly use the Toyota parts bin. They do their own custom engineering where they think they have a competitive advantage. I don't think TPMS senders is where they would spend their scarce engineering resources.
post #16 of 253 (permalink) Old 09-09-2017, 01:12 PM

Car: 2018 Dark Blue Outback 3.6R Touring arrived 8/31/2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post

They're all 5th generation Outbacks. The differences are quite minor from 2015 to 2018. The TPMS system is not something Subaru engineered. They buy from the same suppliers as everybody else and mostly use the Toyota parts bin. They do their own custom engineering where they think they have a competitive advantage. I don't think TPMS senders is where they would spend their scarce engineering resources.
Stop making sense, that gets you in trouble in this world

TPMS is legally required since 2008 models, pure commodity hardware: it only has to work well (and wheel!) enough, only real optimization would likely be on price.

If there are many models (I've not researched it) I wonder what the distinctions are beyond price.

2018 Outback 3.6R Touring, Dark Blue Pearl
past: 2007 Subaru Legacy 2.5i SE, Blue
post #17 of 253 (permalink) Old 09-09-2017, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post

Actually as a previous owner of a 2016 and now current owner of 2018 I do not agree with you as I spent the last 2-3 weeks figuring out a solution for my 2018 With aftermarket wheels because Subaru changed the TPMS system and the 15/16/17 sensors do not work on the 18 as the 18 displays individual tire pressure on the dash. Yes the TPMS system was not engineered by Subaru, and the sensors were built by Schrader.... I had to call the customer support to get the specific details of the sensors used in the 2018.

post #18 of 253 (permalink) Old 09-09-2017, 01:25 PM

@Harleyduo, got all my sensors working.... Took the car to the dealership and they were able to program the sensors. If you got the schrader ez-sensor 33500, those should work fine in your winter wheels.

r3ds4nd likes this.
post #19 of 253 (permalink) Old 09-19-2017, 04:06 PM Thread Starter

Thank you Jimusoke, I had put my dedicated winter tire acquisition on temporary hold while I was waiting for the information and data to catch up with the new model year. I appreciate your being the point person on getting that researched. A big thank you from Michigan.
post #20 of 253 (permalink) Old 09-19-2017, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harleyduo View Post
Thank you Jimusoke, I had put my dedicated winter tire acquisition on temporary hold while I was waiting for the information and data to catch up with the new model year. I appreciate your being the point person on getting that researched. A big thank you from Michigan.

No worries man!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: