Need info on 2018 TPMS sensors - Page 25 - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums
 39Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 1.00 average.
post #241 of 253 (permalink) Old 11-02-2018, 10:44 PM

Car: 2019 2.5i Limited PZEV, EyeSight, Magnetite Gray Metallic, Black Interior
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I don't think this post is off topic. It helps a lot for people on the fence about buying a tool for instance. If the car can re-learn sensor position, assuming the IDs are in the ECU, then it might be worth breaking down and paying a dealer for the initial programming knowing you can rotate your own tires thereafter.

tumbleweed 49 and Sparkland like this.

Mods:
- Curt 2" Receiver Hitch
- Husky front & rear floor liners
- LED interior & exterior bulbs (backup, license plate, door puddle)
- Method MR 501 wheels, Titanium gray w/ Yokohama Geolandar G015 225/65R17
- Optima Yellowtop Group 34 battery
- PIAA Solar Yellow 2500 fog lamps

RIP 2016 Outback 2.5 Limited; totaled 10/14/18

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #242 of 253 (permalink) Old 11-10-2018, 02:45 PM

Happy to Report Success

I'll post the TL;DR version here and create a new thread with the details (and add the link later), but after a couple hours and a few inconveniences I am thrilled to report that Tire Rack and Autel have cracked the code.

Basic steps to success:
  1. Buy tires & wheels from Tire Rack with sensors for a 2019 Subaru Outback (I assume they now know what works for different models if there is indeed a difference but I"m only reporting what worked on my car).
  2. Buy an Autel TS508 TPMS tool (also from Tire Rack if you're so inclined).
  3. Use the sensor scan and OBD Relearn procedure on the 508 for a 2018 Outback to program the ECU.
  4. Profit!

Put the new wheels and tires on, used the 508 to read them to make sure they worked, followed the OBD Relearn procedure under the Advanced menu on the 508, then drove the car for 2 miles and about 6 minutes. And it all worked. Individual readings appeared on the pressure screen and no errors shown. I even verified that the system had the positions correct.

So there you go - we can finally do it ourselves again.

lfdal and martin_j001 like this.

Mods:
- Curt 2" Receiver Hitch

post #243 of 253 (permalink) Old 11-10-2018, 04:37 PM

Car: 2018 328d Wagon / 2018 3.6R Touring
Looking forward to a step by step guide becoming a sticky.

Did you need to update the software on the TS508, or did it work out of the box? Also, do you have the part number of the TPMS sensors from your invoice?

The part number on my sensors was 3076/20602. The way TireRack listed them on my invoice was S202 / 320602 SCHRDR 433Mhz G2 RBR V. Sensor, rubber valve pre-installed.

I'm putting my snows on this weekend and this may be the solution I've been looking for.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Autel TS508.PNG
Views:	23
Size:	440.9 KB
ID:	440559  
post #244 of 253 (permalink) Old 11-10-2018, 06:53 PM

All the info is now in this post: https://www.subaruoutback.org/forums...ml#post5727683

I did update the software on the TS508 but I have no idea if it would have worked without the update. The invoice listed the sensors as: P/N S202 320602 "SCHRDR 433 MHZ G2 RBR V. SENSOR RUBBER VALVE PRE-INSTALLED"
lfdal likes this.

Mods:
- Curt 2" Receiver Hitch

post #245 of 253 (permalink) Old 11-10-2018, 11:27 PM

Car: 2019 3.6R Outback Limited
I will toss my support in for Tires Direct. I didn't even buy tires from them; Firestone failed me twice (lied about programming the first time, then invited me back to do it but couldn't).

drove out to the nearest TD. they came out to the car, guy listened when I explained that '17 Impreza might work. it did.

I have working TPMS sensors. TD gets my business, and my appreciation.

short version: Tires Direct has amazing customer service. '17 Impreza trick worked on my 2019 3.6 limited
post #246 of 253 (permalink) Old 11-15-2018, 02:32 AM

Car: 2019 Outback 2.5i Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fibber2 View Post
The transmission frequency, in this case 315 megahertz or 433 megahertz is assigned by the gov't agency that determines all radio transmission bands. The FCC in the United States picked 315. Japan and much of Asia followed suit. The agency in Europe picked 433. The FCC did not object to supporting two bands in the US. Otherwise European cars would have to support two systems as well.
@Fibber2, first, thank you for the knowledge you have been able to share with us on the MY18 TPMS. I've got a 2018 Outback arriving in a week or two and since I live in Germany and we spend many winter weekends skiing in the Alps, dedicated snows are a must. Actually, just about everyone here has a second set of wheels/tires because you're liable in an accident if you're on the wrong type of tires. I quoted the above because it got me wondering if the EU-spec Subarus had 433 MHz sensors the entire time? The EU-Spec cars are made in Japan if it matters in any way.

All the main online tire retailers in Germany don't differentiate the 2018 Outback from the 2015+ models. What I don't know is if it's because they simply don't know or because the EU-Spec models have always been using the 433 MHz sensors. Keep in mind, Subaru is tiny in Germany. Last year they sold ~9k cars in total. There are probably dealerships in New England or Colorado that could match that If you happen to know if 315 MHz are allowed/used in Europe please enlighten me. I'll also call into our equivalent of TireRack/DT and see what they say about the TPMS sensors they would supply.

Edit: I called and they didn't know of any change for the 2018 models but wouldn't give me any details on the sensors they would have supplied. They told me to get the full TSN number (a German vehicle code that describes a car model and configuration) which I won't have until I pick up the vehicle.

Edit#2: From what I can tell all the EU TPMS sensors are 433 MHz. I finally managed to get a part number out of an online retailer, one that actually differentiated between the 2018 and the 2015-2017 Outbacks and they supply the same sensor for both: ProSens 73907101. From what I can see this is a 433 MHz sensor.

Your German word for the day is: Reifendruckkontrollsystem

Thanks,
Bigfork
Fibber2 likes this.

Last edited by Bigfork; 11-15-2018 at 03:51 AM. Reason: New info
post #247 of 253 (permalink) Old 11-15-2018, 09:26 AM

@Bigfork thanks for the great EU information. Glad to see this is mostly an American problem.

Quote:
There are probably dealerships in New England or Colorado that could match that.
My local dealer, one of at least 15 in Massachusetts, claims to have moved over 16,000 Subaru cars (of all models) in 2017.

Mods:
- Curt 2" Receiver Hitch

post #248 of 253 (permalink) Old 11-15-2018, 09:29 AM

Car: 2018 Outback 3.6R Touring WG/JB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfork View Post
@Fibber2...Keep in mind, Subaru is tiny in Germany. Last year they sold ~9k cars in total. There are probably dealerships in New England or Colorado that could match that...

Thanks,
Bigfork
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrumpySquatch View Post
@Bigfork thanks for the great EU information. Glad to see this is mostly an American problem.

My local dealer, one of at least 15 in Massachusetts, claims to have moved over 16,000 Subaru cars (of all models) in 2017.
I'm pretty sure if you live in Colorado or Oregon owning a Suburu is a hard requirement for citizinship.

2018 Outback 3.6R Touring WG/JB; 2015 Forester 2.5i Touring DGM/G
post #249 of 253 (permalink) Old 11-16-2018, 06:58 AM

Car: 2017 Outback 3.6R Limited
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrumpySquatch View Post
The average car dealership in the US (all brands) sells about 1,000 cars a year, around 3 a day. Selling 16,000 cars in one year would be more than 40 cars a day, or an average of 3 to 4 cars an hour every hour that the doors are open, every single day of the year. (If you've ever spent time in a dealership, that's highly unlikely.) I suspect whoever said that owns multiple dealerships, and it's the total for all of them combined.
post #250 of 253 (permalink) Old 11-16-2018, 12:10 PM

Car: 2015 Legacy Premium 2.5 CVT w/EyeSight+SRVD ... 2016 Outback Premium 2.5 CVT w/EyeSight+SRVD
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowGo View Post
Selling 16,000 cars in one year would be more than 40 cars a day, or an average of 3 to 4 cars an hour ...
Good sanity check. Heuberger Motors in Colorado Springs was long acknowledged to be the #1 Subaru dealer in the U.S. based on new car sales volume. I don't know whether they're still #1 or not, but back in 2014-2016 they were reported to be selling 400 to 600 new Subarus a month ... which would be 4,800 to 7,200 a year.

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there." ~ The Cheshire Cat (Alice in Wonderland)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: