Need info on 2018 TPMS sensors - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums
 39Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 1.00 average.
post #1 of 253 (permalink) Old 09-04-2017, 10:35 AM Thread Starter

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Need info on 2018 TPMS sensors

I am in the process of getting a set of dedicated winter tires and wheels around for my 2018 Outback. The one thing that is holding me up is not knowing enough about the TPMS sensors I need to buy. Since the Outback now shows individual tire pressure readings, I don't know if that means I have to buy a different type of TPMS sensor than Subaru Outbacks have used in previous years, or will those work with the new monitoring system. In other words, do they make a different sensor that actually registers the tire pressure for each tire than when cars just need to register when it is lower than it's supposed to be? I don't know enough about TPMS sensors to be dangerous. Since they are quite expensive, I don't want to purchase ones that don't do what I'm wanting them to do and that is work just like the ones that came on the car.

Hopefully somebody out there knows and can advise myself and others who may be wondering the same thing.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 253 (permalink) Old 09-04-2017, 10:47 AM
Super Moderator

Car: 2002 Pair: 3.0 VDC Wag & 2.5 Limited Sedan
for estimating purposes, places online like tirerack

and our own sponsor discount tire direct does sell tire / wheel/ tpms packages.

discount tire direct does have a sale this weekend.
https://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/...ble-store.html

however typically the biggest winter tire sales are around in November.

? Want people to stop needing to ask what exact car you have? year -model -engine -trans, scroll down to "your car":
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Found a Subaru Vin Decoder (also works on many manufactures):
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

If you feel Sofa King intolerant to the ideas expressed by others:
post #3 of 253 (permalink) Old 09-04-2017, 12:48 PM

Car: 2018 Subaru Outback 3.6R
The standard 315 MHz work in the newer MY. The sensor logic is there either way it's up to the installer to get the right sensor in the right place when pairing. Any standard TPMS tool will read the ID just fine.
George-Mi-Az likes this.
post #4 of 253 (permalink) Old 09-04-2017, 01:14 PM

Too bad it's not the sensor-less tech like in the CRV.
post #5 of 253 (permalink) Old 09-04-2017, 04:05 PM

Car: 2018 Outback 3.6R Limited
Need info on 2018 TPMS sensors

Hey @Harleyduo, the old sensors do not work on the 2018. The sensors used on my 2016 failed to program IN MY 2018 at a tire shop and at the dealership. Unfortunately I do not know which sensors would work given that the dealership did not have the 2018 sensor details. That said I plan to take the sensors out of the OEM wheels and hope to get a part number and aftermarket alternatives.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #6 of 253 (permalink) Old 09-04-2017, 05:00 PM Thread Starter

Jim, keep me posted if you figure it out. I was a bit concerned that the older sensors might have issues when it came to getting them programmed in to the 2018. I'm going to check with my Subaru Dealership on Wed. and see if they can get them and if so how expensive they are.
post #7 of 253 (permalink) Old 09-05-2017, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harleyduo View Post
Jim, keep me posted if you figure it out. I was a bit concerned that the older sensors might have issues when it came to getting them programmed in to the 2018. I'm going to check with my Subaru Dealership on Wed. and see if they can get them and if so how expensive they are.

Hey @Harleyduo, so good and bad news... I think I found replacement sensors for the 2018 outback... they are the Schrader EZ-Sensor #33500 and the part number should be PA6-GF35. I just bought some in store from Advanced Auto parts and you can find them on Amazon too ($40-53 each).
Bad news is the tire shop was not sure if they can program them as the 2018 is not supported yet.....will try use the programming for the 2017 and see.... worst case will have to go to the dealership but not guarantees.
Attached pics

post #8 of 253 (permalink) Old 09-06-2017, 09:28 AM Thread Starter

Great job and thanks for passing it on. That's incredibly helpful.
post #9 of 253 (permalink) Old 09-06-2017, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harleyduo View Post
Great job and thanks for passing it on. That's incredibly helpful.

Hey @Harleyduo, run into a little snag......the software to program the sensors to the 2018 outback is not yet available so these do not work yet. I spoke with a subaru service guy regarding the software and he appeared clueless. My guess is once sensors are available through subaru parts,then the software will also be available.
Will keep you posted if I figure something else out.

post #10 of 253 (permalink) Old 09-07-2017, 03:04 PM Thread Starter

Jim, I was able to get to my Subaru dealership yesterday and asked the Service guy if he could provide me with a part number. I told him I had tried to log into the online Subaru Parts site and it did not recognize my VIN number. He said they probably were not updated for the 2018 Outbacks, yet, but when he tried to do it on his Parts Website, it seemingly recognized my VIN but then said there was a problem with is, so he assumed that it was not totally programmed for the 2018 Outbacks, yet, either. He did make some phone calls to Subaru and before I left he gave me a part number and cost, which is sort of good news/bad news.
He said the part # is 28103FL00A but the bad news is that the price for ONE is $124.79. YIKES!!!!! I don't think I'll continue on my quest to put together my dedicated winter tires/wheels set-up until I come up with a working solution that includes lower prices sensors. It's just crazy that I can buy Aluminum mag wheels for about the same amount as a tire pressure monitor sensor. Keep me posted on when you get yours working. I like the price of your sensors MUCH BETTER.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: