Disabling trunk lift on key fob? - Page 8 - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums
 28Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #71 of 81 (permalink) Old 03-23-2019, 01:34 PM

Car: 2010 3.6R Ltd MR/Nav & 2019 3.6R Ltd Pkg24
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Bobiam,

I happened to have some on hand. I got my assorted size set from Harbor Freight Tools about 10 years ago. I have found a multitude of repair uses around the house and in my hobby activities for these.

If you have a Harbor Freight store nearby, stop by and grab this item:

https://www.harborfreight.com/382-pi...ent-67554.html

Harbor Freight also regularly has 20% off coupons. That can bring down the price even more.

Even if you had to order it, I expect the price plus shipping might still end up less than many of the kits I see on the Web. ...And you would end up with a lifetime supply of o-rings for use with other things...

John

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #72 of 81 (permalink) Old 03-23-2019, 02:14 PM

Car: 2015 Legacy Premium 2.5 CVT w/EyeSight+SRVD ... 2016 Outback Premium 2.5 CVT w/EyeSight+SRVD
Most full-service hardware stores (not the big-box home stores) still have bins where you can buy things like O-rings in quantities as small as one each.

jdupton likes this.

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there." ~ The Cheshire Cat (Alice in Wonderland)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #73 of 81 (permalink) Old 03-24-2019, 10:40 AM

I didn't have any o-rings laying around but I have a million of these 3M stickies that seem to come with everything these days. I just used an X-Acto knife to cut a slot for the button and they fit perfectly. Took me < 1 min for each key to modify. (these are really easy to open up with a small flathead screwdriver and snap together again just as easily)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190324_071232.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	3.53 MB
ID:	448425  
jakemccoy and Dantrax like this.
post #74 of 81 (permalink) Old 05-18-2019, 10:31 PM

Car: 2017 Outback 2.5i Premium; 2019 Outback 2.5i Premium
Quote:
Originally Posted by ammcinnis View Post
That's a dealer-only adjustment; it requires the Subaru SSM diagnostic tool. There's no "secret handshake" that will allow owner modification.
Hi,

I'm really confused as to what disabling the rear hatch key fob entails. Is it simply using an 'SSM diagnostic tool" as stated by @ammcinnis? And there are no changes made to the key fob itself, with the only changes made to the car via this SSM tool?

My new 2019 Outback Premium has the automatic rear hatch, and I too would like to disable the key fob's ability to open the rear hatch (but I'd like to still be able to use the automatic rear hatch capability via the driver's-side interior push button switch or the exterior rear under-lift gate switch).

In the Subaru Owner's manual, I see the attached references to disabling the "remote transmitter/access key fob".

However, my dealer first said that this was impossible (unless taking apart my key(s)) after checking with the "Service Manager for Subaru's Western Region". Upon citation of the attached passages, I was then told that I could schedule a service appointment, and they would consult with a "tech hotline" -- but that this would be considered as a normal service appointment, which would include charges for labor, etc. (it sounded like they would attempt 'surgery' on my keys). Contrary to my service department's current position, Subaru's rep from the 800 number also said that my request is impossible.

Have I misunderstood the English here?
You can disable the “car” button on the access key fob/transmitter. We recommend that you contact your SUBARU dealer to change the setting
To top off my confusion, my dealer says that page 2-44 onwards would walk me through on how to "disable the power gate" (not what I requested, and not (so far as I can tell) in the manual).

Can anyone help clarify my confusion here? For those who have had this done, how long did it take, and were you charged for this???

I'm thinking of phoning Subaru again -- based upon the above, and https://www.subaruoutback.org/forums...ml#post5718121, and https://www.subaruoutback.org/forums...ml#post5760863

Many thanks in advance!

Michael
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Page2-44.png
Views:	22
Size:	628.2 KB
ID:	452409   Click image for larger version

Name:	Page2-27.png
Views:	20
Size:	515.1 KB
ID:	452411   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pages27-28.png
Views:	21
Size:	160.4 KB
ID:	452413  
post #75 of 81 (permalink) Old 05-18-2019, 10:49 PM

Car: 2019 Subaru Outback Touring 3.6R
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcausus View Post
Hi,

I'm really confused as to what disabling the rear hatch key fob entails. Is it simply using an 'SSM diagnostic tool" as stated by @ammcinnis? And there are no changes made to the key fob itself, with the only changes made to the car via this SSM tool?

Correct. The diagnostic tool can toggle the setting. When disabled, the car will ignore that function from any remote.
mcausus likes this.
post #76 of 81 (permalink) Old 05-19-2019, 01:49 AM

Car: 2015 Legacy Premium 2.5 CVT w/EyeSight+SRVD ... 2016 Outback Premium 2.5 CVT w/EyeSight+SRVD
Quote:
That's a dealer-only adjustment; it requires the Subaru SSM diagnostic tool. There's no "secret handshake" that will allow owner modification.
Quote:
I'm really confused as to what disabling the rear hatch key fob entails. Is it simply using an 'SSM diagnostic tool" as stated by @ammcinnis?
My post had nothing to do with the rear lift gate.
mcausus likes this.

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there." ~ The Cheshire Cat (Alice in Wonderland)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #77 of 81 (permalink) Old 05-19-2019, 06:08 AM

Car: 2018 Outback 2.5i Limited, No Eyesight, No Navigation
Quote:

My new 2019 Outback Premium has the automatic rear hatch, and I too would like to disable the key fob's ability to open the rear hatch (but I'd like to still be able to use the automatic rear hatch capability via the driver's-side interior push button switch or the exterior rear under-lift gate switch).
Based on my reading of the manual, the dealer needs to use a tool to disable your OB’s response to the rear gate button on all fobs. The dealer’s actions will not involve adjusting the fob.

Personally, that solution is undesirable. If you ever want that reversed, you will have to go back to the dealer. A new owner will want it reversed. I have made a fob adjustment, as described in this thread, and am pleased. Reversing what I did will take about 2 minutes.
mcausus likes this.
post #78 of 81 (permalink) Old 05-19-2019, 09:02 AM

Car: 2017 Outback 2.5i Premium; 2019 Outback 2.5i Premium
Quote:
Originally Posted by walker View Post
Correct. The diagnostic tool can toggle the setting. When disabled, the car will ignore that function from any remote.
Thanks for the confirmation -- this is good to know!

Quote:
My post had nothing to do with the rear lift gate.
Got it -- re-read the context of past posts, and appreciate your clarification.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakemccoy View Post
Based on my reading of the manual, the dealer needs to use a tool to disable your OB’s response to the rear gate button on all fobs. The dealer’s actions will not involve adjusting the fob.

Personally, that solution is undesirable. If you ever want that reversed, you will have to go back to the dealer. A new owner will want it reversed. I have made a fob adjustment, as described in this thread, and am pleased. Reversing what I did will take about 2 minutes.
This sounds like an easy DIY solution that is not dealer-dependent. Thanks!

Disappointed to get these conflicting statements from the dealer and Subaru corporate. Out of curiosity, does anyone know if Subaru has a policy on charges for changing the "Function settings and adjustments performed by a dealer" (page 27) shortly after purchase? If I come back years later requesting a change, I certainly understand, but for a 2 week old vehicle ...?

Thanks again!
post #79 of 81 (permalink) Old 05-19-2019, 11:32 AM

Car: 2018 Outback 2.5i Limited, No Eyesight, No Navigation
Quote:
Disappointed to get these conflicting statements from the dealer and Subaru corporate. Out of curiosity, does anyone know if Subaru has a policy on charges for changing the "Function settings and adjustments performed by a dealer" (page 27) shortly after purchase? If I come back years later requesting a change, I certainly understand, but for a 2 week old vehicle ...?
That is a dealer-specific question. I am pretty sure my local dealer would charge you, even though you just bought it. But I don’t want to discourage you. So, call them up. Let us know what they say. You have a higher chance of NOT getting charged if you combine that service with a recall visit.
post #80 of 81 (permalink) Old 05-19-2019, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakemccoy View Post
You have a higher chance of NOT getting charged if you combine that service with a recall visit.
X2. Once the dealer's SSM tool is already plugged into the OBD-II port, configuration changes like these take less than a minute extra.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: