Disabling trunk lift on key fob? - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums
 28Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #1 of 81 (permalink) Old 09-30-2017, 07:52 AM Thread Starter

Car: 2017 Outback 2.5i Limited, Twilight Blue/Ivory
Garage
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Disabling trunk lift on key fob?

I never use the trunk lift button on my 2017 limited key fob, and was wondering if anyone has disabled theirs? I constantly worry that I'll accidentally pressed the button while the car is in our tight garage. I may see if I can wedge something solid in between the exterior button and interior circuit board, maybe a cardboard cutout.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 81 (permalink) Old 09-30-2017, 09:13 AM

Car: 2016 3.6R Limited, w/ES, Ice Silver
Quote:
Originally Posted by novasquid View Post
I never use the trunk lift button on my 2017 limited key fob, and was wondering if anyone has disabled theirs? I constantly worry that I'll accidentally pressed the button while the car is in our tight garage. I may see if I can wedge something solid in between the exterior button and interior circuit board, maybe a cardboard cutout.
You could try a drop of super glue to seize the button.

post #3 of 81 (permalink) Old 09-30-2017, 09:25 AM

I may be interested in this as well for the same reason above. Also considering a hitch mount for the spare tire so this would also be helpful.
post #4 of 81 (permalink) Old 09-30-2017, 09:31 AM

Car: 2017, Premium/ES, 2.5L, Auto Trans
I read somewhere that the safety stop on the power lift is set low enough to not scratch the paint.
post #5 of 81 (permalink) Old 09-30-2017, 09:55 AM

Car: 2015 Outback 2.5i Limited, Ice Silver/Black
Garage
Just a thought, but you could stick some foam padding or Styrofoam to the inside of the garage door where it might strike and still retain functionality.
Mirkheim likes this.

2015 Outback 2.5i Limited FDF/PP4 - no nav, no moonroof, no keyless, no Eyesight
Parts left out cost nothing and create no service problems - Bunkie Knudsen
It's love that makes a Subaru, not necessarily a logical user experience.
post #6 of 81 (permalink) Old 09-30-2017, 12:19 PM

Car: 2015 Twilight Blue 3.6R, Ivory interior
Quote:

You have to hold the button down for several seconds before it activates, long enough, I think, to avoid accidentally opening the hatch. At least, this is the case with my 2015 Limitedís key fob.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #7 of 81 (permalink) Old 09-30-2017, 02:55 PM Thread Starter

Car: 2017 Outback 2.5i Limited, Twilight Blue/Ivory
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirkheim View Post
You have to hold the button down for several seconds before it activates, long enough, I think, to avoid accidentally opening the hatch. At least, this is the case with my 2015 Limitedís key fob.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I've had my s8 smartphone screen turn on and random buttons entered while in my pocket, and have read here of others who had their trunk opened from having it pressed while in their pocket. So, it ma be unlikely but definitely possible.

I don't want to make it permanent so super glue sounds too much.
Mirkheim, stonepa and jakemccoy like this.
post #8 of 81 (permalink) Old 09-30-2017, 03:57 PM

Car: 2018 Dark Blue Outback 3.6R Touring arrived 8/31/2017
Quote:
I've had my s8 smartphone screen turn on and random buttons entered while in my pocket, and have read here of others who had their trunk opened from having it pressed while in their pocket. So, it ma be unlikely but definitely possible.

I don't want to make it permanent so super glue sounds too much.
Last night I walked out of Wendyís and was very alarmed to see it wide open, with my gym backpack clearly visible for all to see in the cargo net, but the thing that had me far more alarmed to have visible than a backpack full of sweaty climbing gear was the work backpack (black) with 2 work laptops in it, though hard to see due to black interior in the back with it being dark out.

Having my wallet in my front pocket with keys and all the fobs got too tight, and moving out of my car or something had it hold the button down for too long: 29 days into having it, and this is the first time. My Legacy regularly had this sort of thing happen, but the trunk lid didnít too visibly pop up in comparison.

(And for those that think you shouldnít keep your wallet in the front pocket, well.... your input has only negative value in real life in this regard!)

I donít wear tight pants with the smallest pockets, itís just a side-effect of how things are.
stonepa and jakemccoy like this.

2018 Outback 3.6R Touring, Dark Blue Pearl
past: 2007 Subaru Legacy 2.5i SE, Blue
post #9 of 81 (permalink) Old 09-30-2017, 07:09 PM

I wouldn't disable the button for when the car is in the garage only to not be able to use it when the car is parked somewhere else which would be often. You could Try to grind the button down a little so you really have to press your finger tip in there to activate it. Or build up a wall of epoxy around the button for the same effect.

The best thing you can do is learn from someone else's mistakes. The worst thing you can do is not learn from your own.

2017 Outback 2.5i Touring
2011 Legacy 2.5i Premium
post #10 of 81 (permalink) Old 09-30-2017, 07:17 PM

Car: 2017 Limited 2.5i
I had a Ford that had a sensitive trunk button, so I disassembled the remote and placed a small piece of black tape over the contact (to prevent it making contact). Solved.

Iíve not experienced any issues with my Subaru remote, but Iíve got a silicone cover on mine. Check out thejacketstore.com

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: