Want to keep radio off at vehicle startup - Page 2 - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums
 27Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.
post #11 of 57 (permalink) Old 03-11-2018, 01:31 PM
ml1

Car: 2018 Outback 2.5i Limited
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Re: Want to keep radio off at vehicle startup

Well, this is annoying. But it's nice to know that I'm not crazy or stupid. :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cscade View Post
I have the same car in Touring trim. Turning the volume knob all the way to zero before shutting off the car is the only sure fire way to prevent it from playing music when you turn on the ignition. Good news is it works, wether you turn the screen off to black or not.

As an aside, the option to black out the screen is in no way an "off" setting. The system can not be turned off, period. The black screen will not prevent music from playing, in fact the volume knob still works to control the volume of whatever is playing while the screen is set to black.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 57 (permalink) Old 03-11-2018, 02:16 PM

Car: 2007 Outback L.L. Bean 3.0, 2018 Outback Limited 3.6R
As stated in many other threads, the best workaround is to tune the radio to SiriusXM channel 0, which is silent. Set the #1 preset button to this channel by holding it in for a few seconds. If you normally listen to radio, always switch to preset #1 before you turn off the car. If you normally listen to CD or USB sources, just leave preset #1 engaged. You will get silence when you turn the car off, and when you restart it.

G_W1Z likes this.
post #13 of 57 (permalink) Old 05-11-2018, 07:58 PM
knk

This radio issue is so annoying. I just sent a complaint to Subaru America online here asking for a software fix for this.
If enough users email about this perhaps they'll include it in an update.
Submit here in the email form:
https://www.subaru.com/customer-support.html
post #14 of 57 (permalink) Old 05-11-2018, 08:03 PM

Car: 2018 OB 2.5i Limited, 2019 OB 3.6R Limited, and 4 VW TDI bugs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenShabby View Post
As stated in many other threads, the best workaround is to tune the radio to SiriusXM channel 0, which is silent. Set the #1 preset button to this channel by holding it in for a few seconds. If you normally listen to radio, always switch to preset #1 before you turn off the car. If you normally listen to CD or USB sources, just leave preset #1 engaged. You will get silence when you turn the car off, and when you restart it.
So far this has been the best workaround to keep the audio system quiet at startup.
post #15 of 57 (permalink) Old 05-11-2018, 09:13 PM

Car: 2018 Outback 2.5 limited CVT
This is what works for me.
Just turn the volume down to zero before exiting car.
post #16 of 57 (permalink) Old 05-11-2018, 09:44 PM
knk

If I can get into the habit it will have to be turning down the volume before switching off the car.
But honestly, what a clumsy way to keep your radio from yelling at you in the year 2018. I still think we should bomb Subaru with lots of email requests for this to fix with a software update.
Great car otherwise and really love it but stunned how Subaru's designers could mess up so big in such a basic issue. It doesn't seem that exotic a scenario to imagine that a user does not always want the radio to come on when starting to drive, does it? Oh well...
post #17 of 57 (permalink) Old 05-11-2018, 09:55 PM

Car: 2017 3.6R Limited with Eye Sight
Quote:
Originally Posted by knk View Post
If I can get into the habit it will have to be turning down the volume before switching off the car.
But honestly, what a clumsy way to keep your radio from yelling at you in the year 2018. I still think we should bomb Subaru with lots of email requests for this to fix with a software update.
Great car otherwise and really love it but stunned how Subaru's designers could mess up so big in such a basic issue. It doesn't seem that exotic a scenario to imagine that a user does not always want the radio to come on when starting to drive, does it? Oh well...
What is most annoying is that I'm usually backing up when it comes on. And when backing up, the mute button doesn't work. It can be very distracting. I hope I don't accidentally run over some starving orphan waifs in wheelchairs because of the radio suddenly blaring.
post #18 of 57 (permalink) Old 05-11-2018, 10:11 PM

Car: Tungsten 2018 Outback 3.6R Limited w/ES
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Doe View Post
What is most annoying is that I'm usually backing up when it comes on. And when backing up, the mute button doesn't work. It can be very distracting. I hope I don't accidentally run over some starving orphan waifs in wheelchairs because of the radio suddenly blaring.
Then the SOWWABS (Starving Orphan Waifs in Wheelchairs Automatic Braking System ) should kick in.

Mute doesn't work when backing up? I'll have to try that one. I know the parking brake doesn't automatically disengage if your seat-belt isn't on; even in reverse where it's legal here to not be using a seat-belt.

What's even crazier is if you're listening to music on USB, switch off the ignition - now you're listening to the radio. Switch to accessory, and now the USB music continues from where it left off. Does the USB power go out when the ignition is off?
post #19 of 57 (permalink) Old 05-11-2018, 10:26 PM
knk

Oh yes, the backing up...
I ran into this too. When the rear camera comes onto the display the silent button does not work until you get out of backup gear. and if I'm not wrong even the volume can't be turned down In that phase. so if you ended your drive with beautiful loud mozart from your phone, you may be greeted with blarring radio ad noise until your done with backing up. Grrrrrrrr..... Who is that design intern that they let screw this up so badly?!
post #20 of 57 (permalink) Old 05-11-2018, 10:40 PM

Car: 2018 3.6R Limited
they fixed backing up while having sound in 2018 - you can actually turn it off. 2015 - 2017 - nope.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in