Want to keep radio off at vehicle startup - Page 6 - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums
 36Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.
post #51 of 68 (permalink) Old 01-08-2019, 09:59 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
It is very annoying in our 2019 Ascent that we just purchased. If you turn something off, it should stay off.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #52 of 68 (permalink) Old 03-27-2019, 08:05 PM

During the first service on my 2019 Crosstrek Limited, I asked if there was a SW fix to this annoying problem. They installed SW Version 4.18.11.50, Technical Service Bulletin (TSB) 15-236-18. This DOES NOT fix the problem!

Summarizing the Infotainment System operation when the engine is started... The volume is returned to the last setting, including before the the System was "Muted" (brief push of the Volume knob). If you press the Volume knob for maybe 5 seconds, the System goes "Off", and it stays "Off" when you start the vehicle.

What makes this SOOO Annoying is it takes perhaps 10 seconds for the processor in the Infotainment System to boot up, before it gets around to checking if you're pushing the Volume knob, to "Mute" the sound, or are trying to turn the volume level down.

post #53 of 68 (permalink) Old 03-27-2019, 09:11 PM

Car: 2015 Outback Limited 2.5
Exclamation Not a problem a design feature

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToSubaru0 View Post
During the first service on my 2019 Crosstrek Limited, I asked if there was a SW fix to this annoying problem. They installed SW Version 4.18.11.50, Technical Service Bulletin (TSB) 15-236-18. This DOES NOT fix the problem!

Summarizing the Infotainment System operation when the engine is started... The volume is returned to the last setting, including before the the System was "Muted" (brief push of the Volume knob). If you press the Volume knob for maybe 5 seconds, the System goes "Off", and it stays "Off" when you start the vehicle.

What makes this SOOO Annoying is it takes perhaps 10 seconds for the processor in the Infotainment System to boot up, before it gets around to checking if you're pushing the Volume knob, to "Mute" the sound, or are trying to turn the volume level down.
Takes a period of time for entertainment unit to start up, patience my boy!!!

2015 Outback Limited 2.5 - 20MM rear Swaybar, Yokohama YK740 GTX 235/60-R18, Perrin Steering Lockdown
post #54 of 68 (permalink) Old 03-28-2019, 06:53 AM

Car: 2019 Limited 2.5 Magnetite Grey, 5th Outback
this works: set the radio to Sirius channel "0". then the radio will always be silent, no need to do anything else.
post #55 of 68 (permalink) Old 04-03-2019, 03:45 PM

Car: 2019 2.5 Premium Outback with Nav
Unplugging USB from Phone Causes Jump to Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by atc98092 View Post
Yep. It will come back on in acc mode. When you turn the car off everything goes off except the radio will continue for about 5 minutes, or until you open the driver's door. But Bluetooth remains connected during that time as well, as I've had music/Pandora streaming from my phone and it will continue playing when the engine it turned off.
So if I turn my car on and am listening to a Podcast through Bluetooth it will connect and play just fine. Then I plug in my USB to hook up CarPlay and it automatically switches over and continues playing the Podcast just fine. I can even turn my car off and it will kick back to Bluetooth and keep playing. BUT, if I unplug my phone with the car on or off, it will dump to the Radio source (FM, AM, SXM whichever was last selected) instead of going back to Bluetooth.

Anyone have this problem or find a solution?
post #56 of 68 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 12:52 PM

Software Update by Subaru Corrects Radio Problems

Software version REL_UO.18.43.20 takes care of the problem of the Starlink radio audio not staying off even though the display screen was staying off. It is a good fix.

Subaru updated the software in our 2018 Outback about 2 months (Feb 2019) ago and so far everything works good, no problems. If Subaru hasn't yet updated your software, it is worth the effort.
post #57 of 68 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 03:20 PM

Car: 2006 Mazda MPV ES, 3.0 liter V6
Just tossing this out there as my fiance just ordered a new Limited 3.6. She rarely listens to the radio and we ordered this without the option 24 so no NAV
Can you totally turn off the display so it's just blank? Didn't think to even try this but having the display on all the time is sort of annoying.

Thanks!
post #58 of 68 (permalink) Old 04-22-2019, 08:35 AM

Press the volume button and ...HOLD.
The screen shuts off and won't start on ignition, until you push the volume button again. So POWER OFF is PRESS/hold, POWER ON. is press to start radio/screen apps.

Wife found this in the Ownres Manual...đŸ˜†
Jerseytrvlr likes this.
post #59 of 68 (permalink) Old 06-01-2019, 07:56 AM

Car: 2019 Outback Limited
Did this on my 2019 Limited based on this post
Couldn't store the station on my wife's 2017 Limited.
Don't know if I screwed something up but she just has to leave it on the XM source.
post #60 of 68 (permalink) Old 06-05-2019, 05:35 PM

I've been told the only way is to turn the volume down before shutting off the car. this won't stop the radio from starting when you switch the car back on, but at least you won't hear it. This is about the only way I've found.

similarly, it's pretty annoying how when playing audio via CarPlay and you unplug or switch off the engine it suddenly switches back to the radio at a totally different volume....

stfsubaru likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in