Want to keep radio off at vehicle startup - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums
 27Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.
post #1 of 58 (permalink) Old 10-11-2017, 06:06 PM Thread Starter

Car: 2018 Outback Limited 3.6R
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Want to keep radio off at vehicle startup

Greetings,

Have a new 2018 OB Limited 3.6R. It has the 8" Multimedia Nav system.

There are times when we don't want the radio to come on at vehicle startup. I know how to turn off the radio by holding down the volume control and it turns off the radio and screen. That part's OK. At that point I'd like to be able to turn off the vehicle and have have the radio off at the next car restart.

Upon vehicle start, I realize the nav system starts up automatically, but is there a way to keep the radio/media from starting up also? Any tips would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Dave

donaldedwards likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 58 (permalink) Old 10-11-2017, 06:37 PM

Car: 2015 Legacy 3.6R ES, 2014 Forester Touring ES, 2005 Jeep Liberty Limited
As you just stated power off the radio prior than turning the Vehicle off. Do not over think this

Laughing at Oneself and with Others is Good for the Soul

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Laughing at oneself and with others is good for the soul.
post #3 of 58 (permalink) Old 10-11-2017, 07:16 PM

Car: 2018 3.6R Limited
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoda_One View Post
As you just stated power off the radio prior than turning the Vehicle off. Do not over think this

Laughing at Oneself and with Others is Good for the Soul
On 2018 HU, radio starts again automatically when you turn car on. It is not like 2015-2017 HU where turning off radio before turning off the vehicle stops it from turning on again.

There's no known workaround for 2018 HU.
donaldedwards likes this.
post #4 of 58 (permalink) Old 10-11-2017, 07:44 PM

Car: 2017 Outback 2.5i Limited, EyeSight & Nav.
Just have it set to bluetooth audio when you shut it off but dont enable bluetooth on your phone. When you get in and start the car it will try to connect to bluetooth but won't be able to, so you won't hear anything. Convoluted way to just...welll,,,,turn the volume knob down when you get in. As a previous poster has touched on, don't overthink it.
bosh60 likes this.
post #5 of 58 (permalink) Old 10-11-2017, 08:05 PM Thread Starter

Car: 2018 Outback Limited 3.6R
Thanks for the quick responses. Good to know how it operates.

Dave
post #6 of 58 (permalink) Old 10-11-2017, 10:53 PM

Turn volume to zero. Power off by pressing and holding the buttons for a few seconds. When you start the again the screen will be dark and the sound will be off.
post #7 of 58 (permalink) Old 10-12-2017, 08:32 AM

Car: 2010 2.5 CVT Premium
Quote:
On 2018 HU, radio starts again automatically when you turn car on. It is not like 2015-2017 HU where turning off radio before turning off the vehicle stops it from turning on again.

There's no known workaround for 2018 HU.
Wow. Another blatant case of some designer/marketer believing they know what's best for you.
post #8 of 58 (permalink) Old 10-12-2017, 09:49 AM

Modern advancements in electronic wizardy, got to love it!
bheinen74 likes this.
post #9 of 58 (permalink) Old 02-11-2018, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJC_2018OB View Post
Greetings,

Have a new 2018 OB Limited 3.6R. It has the 8" Multimedia Nav system.

There are times when we don't want the radio to come on at vehicle startup. I know how to turn off the radio by holding down the volume control and it turns off the radio and screen. That part's OK. At that point I'd like to be able to turn off the vehicle and have have the radio off at the next car restart.

Upon vehicle start, I realize the nav system starts up automatically, but is there a way to keep the radio/media from starting up also? Any tips would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Dave
We have the same issue with our 2018 OB. Very annoying. I had hoped the volume setting in the Sound Settings area was used as a default at startup. That way, you could set it to 0 ... alas, it appears that is simply a third way to change the volume though why any one would do it that way instead of using the knob or the steering wheel controls is beyond me.
post #10 of 58 (permalink) Old 02-11-2018, 03:22 PM

Car: 2018 Outback 3.6R
I have the same car in Touring trim. Turning the volume knob all the way to zero before shutting off the car is the only sure fire way to prevent it from playing music when you turn on the ignition. Good news is it works, wether you turn the screen off to black or not.

As an aside, the option to black out the screen is in no way an "off" setting. The system can not be turned off, period. The black screen will not prevent music from playing, in fact the volume knob still works to control the volume of whatever is playing while the screen is set to black.

Dantrax likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in