2018 Outback tech issues - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 1.00 average.
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-16-2017, 12:50 PM Thread Starter

Car: 18 Outback 3.6r Touring
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
2018 Outback tech issues

We’ve all probably seen the threads about the new starlink system where you can not turn the radio off. Or the quality issues with the 2018 hood not being properly shaped and aligned. But we purchased our 2018 Outback touring over 3 weeks ago. We had it over the weekend and took it back into the dealer the following week where they have had possession of it since. There appears to be significant technical flaws that neither the dealer or SOA can address. So far, the response of SOA is this is new, incorrectly documented, behaviors for 2018. OR having the dealer set the default setting to off or disabling the feature. I find this totally unacceptable as we were given a 2017 Outback limited with these same features and do not have the same experience. Thought I’d share this information here for other 2018 owners or potential 2018 buyers.

Reverse Automated Braking (RAB).
It’s “sensitivity” triggers activation almost every time the vehicle is reversed. It’s impossible to back in or out of my driveway or backing out of parking space at Walmart without a case of whiplash. According to the manual on 7-65 after activation the system will turn off and reset the next time the selector is moved out of R and back into R. HOWEVER in my case the system becomes disabled as described on page 7-67. This is further described as a malfunction and I am to consult my Subaru dealer. We are currently in a loaner Outback with this feature and had perviously been driving a loaner Forester with this feature. Both loaners had no difficulty getting in or out of my driveway or parking spaces. I was able to activate the system with a garbage can in the driveway and in both loaners the system behaved as described on 7-65 and turned off when activated and turned back on the next time the car was put in R. I could not duplicate 7-67 conditions in either loaners.
According to my dealer they “verified the customers concern while test driving the vehicle”. after contacting SOA, they are being told this is NEW and EXPECTED behavior and not a malfunction! So the final response for a system indicating a fault, is “found vehicle is operating as designed”!

High Beam Assist.
Doesn’t work at all. My wife has already had an incident late at nite with a small animal like a cat, rabbit or maybe a small dog. She attempted to turn on the high beams and nothing happened. We drove it around for like 30 minutes and could not get the high beams to turn on. Understanding the requirements as described on 3-49 under no circumstances would the high beams turn on. The “best” guess by SOA and the dealer is that vehicles parked on the street are being seen by the eyesight system as on-coming traffic and keeping the high beams from turning on. In the loaner Outback with this feature we have no problem driving down the same streets and the high beams will pop on. As expected while slowing down for turns or stop signs the high beam turn off but turn back on again around 20mph. This is not the case with our car. SOA solution is to have the dealer change to default setting to “OFF” or disabled as described on page 3-49.

FOB and Keyless entry discrepancies.
Although not document separately it seems the keyless entry and FOB features differ. At first I thought this was an issue with my vehicle or possibly a change in behavior for 2018. But in the loaner vehicle I found the same issues.
There is a setting on the starlink menu as defined on page 3-42 for unlocking drivers door or all doors. Even though the menu options says when using the key it seems this feature, along with the rear gate opening, only effects the keyless entry functionality. With keyless entry it appears FOB functionality is restricted or limited to opening only the driver door and requiring a second press to open all doors.

The welcome lighting (Also referred to as approach lighting) as described on page 3-47 is suppose to illuminate the low beam headlights but is restricted or limited to functionality of the FOB. With keyless entry walking up to the vehicle does nothing till you touch the door handle to open the door then only the interior lights illuminate.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-24-2017, 10:57 AM Thread Starter

Thought I'd post an update here after finally getting our car back 3 weeks later.
The RAB issue is still ongoing and has gotten worse as the airbags are also involved now! Subaru still contents this is by design. They sent a field engineer to the dealer with another car along with a second one from the dealer. When testing both cars off the lot in a local neighborhood they found that both vehicles "malfunctioned" like mine. According the field engineer the RAB gets "confused" by the fences, alleys and driveways and goes into the "malfunction" state which disables it. This is by design. Also when the diagnostic tool pulls the codes it reports a generic malfunction of the airbags! I was told by Subaru this is because the airbags are part of the same safety systems as the RAB. So it appears when the RAB is disabled so are the airbags! Again Subaru says this is operating as designed. As of now this leaves us turning off the car and restarting it EVERY time after backing up!

For the high beam assist we let the dealer code off the feature as it's sort of pointless and stupid! By design you have to be going above 20mph for it to turn on. And when slowing down, turning, going around a bend or stopping they turn off as designed. This is useless when traveling on neighborhood road or alley at 10-15mph when we need it most.

FOB and welcome lights is another bad Subaru implementation. It is working as designed. The approach lighting system is meant to work only with the FOB. Subaru refers to the FOB as "remote keyless entry" in the owners manual.

Not sure where to go next on the RAB. It's should be concerning to ALL outback owners that their airbags are disabled when the RAB is disabled.

post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-24-2017, 12:18 PM

Car: 2018 Outback 2.5i Limited Eyesight - Remote Start - Auto Dimming In/Outside Mirrors
I am not sold on the high beam assist either. Driving down a rural road with any type of light, versus say an approaching vehicle, seems to keep the low beams on. It does indeed work, just not maybe to my personal liking. Manual seems to be the way to go for me.

2018 Outback 2.5i Limited
- Eyesight - Remote Start - Auto Dimming In/Outside Mirrors
- Ivory Leather - 8" Navigation

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-24-2017, 02:40 PM

Car: 2016 OB Limited Eyesight 2.5i
I'd make this issue known including a vehicle owner review on Consumer Reports.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-24-2017, 02:54 PM

Car: 2015 Outback LTD 2.5
I think this may be model specific as our 2018 Crosstrek Ltd has NOT had any malfunctions to speak of.......just very surprised that tech that already is mainstream in Subaru's other lines are apparently so "nervous and high strung" in an existing model.......

Watching this thread to see what happens...good luck with the issues, stay after SOA, this is pretty much unacceptable.

Steve
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-24-2017, 03:02 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by toysbyus View Post
I think this may be model specific as our 2018 Crosstrek Ltd has NOT had any malfunctions to speak of.......just very surprised that tech that already is mainstream in Subaru's other lines are apparently so "nervous and high strung" in an existing model.......

Watching this thread to see what happens...good luck with the issues, stay after SOA, this is pretty much unacceptable.

Steve
I had a 2017 outback and 2018 forester with this feature as loaner cars for the time my car was at the dealer's. I did not experience this issue with either. Waiting for a follow up from SOA at this time.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-24-2017, 03:50 PM

Car: 2015 Outback LTD 2.5
Please let us know what happens....I cannot imagine that SOA will say that "they all do it" or something as asinine.

My very best wishes to you and yours.........keep the faith, your issues are serious and potentially cause to park it until......

Steve
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-25-2017, 10:41 AM

Car: 2015 Outback 2.5i Limited, Ice Silver/Black
Garage
My sig, line 2.

2015 Outback 2.5i Limited FDF/PP4 - no nav, no moonroof, no keyless, no Eyesight
Parts left out cost nothing and create no service problems - Bunkie Knudsen
It's love that makes a Subaru, not necessarily a logical user experience.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-25-2017, 01:09 PM

Oh what did we do before we had all this failure prone TECH crap in our cars......OH we enjoyed driving them UNDISTRACTED!! I am so glad we got as little of this as possible on our 17 3.6R Limited. I have turned off every ding dong and chime I could on it. I want to get in in silence and back out in silence and drive in silence and not have it tell me no you can't!!!

The only thing I want to hear is the turn signal, cross traffic alert on backing and I don't depend on that, and the radio. And if I could rip out that Starlink touch screen mess and put in a regular radio with Bluetooth and USB I would. We like the car so I put up with that touchscreen.

But you know what, I like my simple 98 Outback Limited just as well even though it is noisier and less powerful because it is SIMPLE in comparison but will do everything the 17 will do plus it is easy to fix if anything goes wrong. To me anymore, LESS IS MORE. **** I had a 97 Brighton for 10 years, no nothing but A/C and radio and it was a goat in the snow, full time cargo carrier on top, loaded with tools and pulled a 2,500 lb trailer. I put a 100,000 miles on it and less than 50,000 on the OBXT in the same time period, OBXT was a high strung prima donna, the Brighton was old faithful.

Just my 2 cent rant and opinion.....no offense meant.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-25-2017, 04:07 PM

Car: 2018 Outback 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by theoak View Post
I am not sold on the high beam assist either. Driving down a rural road with any type of light, versus say an approaching vehicle, seems to keep the low beams on. It does indeed work, just not maybe to my personal liking. Manual seems to be the way to go for me.
Have you tried adjusting the sensitivity?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: