Anyone replace amplifier and speakers? - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums
 10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-27-2017, 02:24 AM Thread Starter

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Anyone replace amplifier and speakers?

would this be easy? My biggest problems with HK system is lack of bass and heavy front volume bias. Questions:
1. Do I need to see a wiring diagram?
2. Will I be able to adjust volumes to increase door/rear speakers?
3. Will it mess up car notification sounds or bluetooth calls if some speakers are lowered or eliminated? ( I don't even care for the center speaker really)

The best thing you can do is learn from someone else's mistakes. The worst thing you can do is not learn from your own.

2017 Outback 2.5i Touring
2011 Legacy 2.5i Premium
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-27-2017, 04:10 AM

Car: 2015 3.6 Premium
If you are not happy with the Subaru sound system purchase another vehicle. Subaru owners do not listen to Mozart. We drive them due to their superior handling. If you want to listen to Mozart stay at home and sit in front of your Bose speakers. The only thing that should be played from a Subaru radio is the weather. When it says the weather is bad that is when we come out and play.

Dnp1970 likes this.

MY15 Outback 3.6 Premium
MY17 XV (hers)
MY08 Impreza RS 2.0i (daughters)
2006 Forester XT (sons)
2006 VW Golf TDI (sons)
Yamaha MT07 and yet another of the sons
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-27-2017, 09:07 AM

Car: 03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
I would check for options at crutchfield.com - they often have install guides too.

also, user @botenredwolf is an audio guru - you might PM him.
WAL1066 likes this.

Time Flies Like an Arrow,
Fruit Flies Like a Banana!
post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-27-2017, 09:38 AM

Car: 2018 Outback 2.5i Limited Eyesight - Remote Start - Auto Dimming In/Outside Mirrors
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilko1 View Post
If you are not happy with the Subaru sound system purchase another vehicle. Subaru owners do not listen to Mozart. We drive them due to their superior handling. If you want to listen to Mozart stay at home and sit in front of your Bose speakers. The only thing that should be played from a Subaru radio is the weather. When it says the weather is bad that is when we come out and play.

Did you try adjusting the balance?

The one thing I am noticing with the Outback is the rear speakers are in the rear doors versus say a sedan where the speakers can typically be in the rear window. This obviously changes the dynamics of the sound.

My teenagers hate the sound in the Outback because when they sit in the back, the sound is not right by their heads for example. They keep on asking me to up the volume, but then I get blasted out in the front.

I have put the balance more to the rear. I actually enjoy this more. My kids as an added bonus do too as they are now getting more sound in the back. I have found however I do have to up the volume a notch or two more, but the sound placement is more enjoyable.

Call me crazy

2018 Outback 2.5i Limited
- Eyesight - Remote Start - Auto Dimming In/Outside Mirrors
- Ivory Leather - 8" Navigation

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-27-2017, 09:40 AM

Car: 2010 Legacy 3.6R Limited || "1SlickVDC" 2001 Outback H6 VDC
Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to botenredwolf Send a message via Skype™ to botenredwolf
Quote:
< rant mode > You've clearly not sat in a Subaru with the McIntosh system, nor do you seem to realize that some of us want BOTH: superior handling , as well as an amazing audio experience. Any and all cars can be modified to have a nicer sounding audio system. Pick the best mechanically, and upgrade the audio.

https://www.forbes.com/2001/01/29/0129test.html
< /rant >
(or I'm too tired to see sarcasm, if that's the case, my bad; otherwise it still stands)

On topic: modifying a factory system with an amplifier already in it is a pain in the ass, but not impossible. You may have to resort to something like what JL offers for OE integration: Car Audio - Processors - OEM Integration and do your own speaker/amp combination outboard of that processor.
WAL1066 likes this.

Kenwood DMX7704S + iDataLink Maestro, Stock H/K speakers and amplifier, JL 12W6v3 HO Wedge, JL XD1000/5v2 adding some kick. (Not hooked up yet: Hertz Energy component speakers)

botenredwolf lives in the Audio section of this forum and is a MECP Installer

Like my advice? Buy me a drink:
13nPyPmaUQK4Lp6wz6ikGSH7jBSMB2KKdv (BTC)
0x15dc8d61f72b66fd6df726f678706642d9c70bfc (ETH)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-27-2017, 10:15 AM

Car: 2012 Subaru Outback 3.6R Limited, with custom-added always-on auxillary power for an inverter, 3x DC jacks, and a radio transciever.
This may seem like a dumb question...but you went thru all the head unit settings right?

Every car I've looked at (from any dealer in my area regardless of brand, new, or used) the salespeople have the sound levels screwed up to try and "make it more impressive". I was slightly bummed how hallow and thumpy the sound was until I realized that it was set to max-forward, max-bass, half-trebble, min-mid-tones. When I put all the sliders back around the center now it's the best sound system I own (short of the 5.1 surround that I can't have bass due to apartment). Then again, every other car I've driven I was content with the "stock" audio too with the only disappointment being most of them had no aux-in capability.

A few weekends ago when I tried a 2018 Outback "for fun" it was the same thing. Dealer had it so it was dull-ly thudding away shaking the mirror and door panels but sounded like it was just farting out noises until I tracked down the adjustments and re-centered them.
ammcinnis likes this.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-27-2017, 02:37 PM

Car: 2015 3.6 Premium
Quote:
Originally Posted by botenredwolf View Post
< rant mode > You've clearly not sat in a Subaru with the McIntosh system, nor do you seem to realize that some of us want BOTH: superior handling , as well as an amazing audio experience. Any and all cars can be modified to have a nicer sounding audio system. Pick the best mechanically, and upgrade the audio.

https://www.forbes.com/2001/01/29/0129test.html
< /rant >
(or I'm too tired to see sarcasm, if that's the case, my bad; otherwise it still stands)

On topic: modifying a factory system with an amplifier already in it is a pain in the ass, but not impossible. You may have to resort to something like what JL offers for OE integration: Car Audio - Processors - OEM Integration and do your own speaker/amp combination outboard of that processor.

It's called humour guys. Something us Aussies have a lot of. Or our style might just be a little different to yours. It was in no way intended to belittle the OP just a little humour so take a chill pill and relax.

MY15 Outback 3.6 Premium
MY17 XV (hers)
MY08 Impreza RS 2.0i (daughters)
2006 Forester XT (sons)
2006 VW Golf TDI (sons)
Yamaha MT07 and yet another of the sons
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-27-2017, 04:34 PM

Car: 2015 3.6R Limited
Judging by your questions, I'd say you probably don't want to mess with the amp (which has plenty of power so long as you don't swap in massive speakers). As others have suggested, some rear fade helps significantly with the center speaker irritation. As for DIY mods, there are numerous threads in the Gen 5 forum describing such efforts - Google is your friend:

https://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/...tructions.html
https://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/...tallation.html
https://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/...placement.html
https://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/...-addition.html

Since you say you want more bass, then you'll most likely need a powered sub with a large (12"+) driver, or at least something under the drivers seat (which can be smaller because it sends the vibration right into your seat). The HK system can make PLENTY of bass (have you tried the EQ?), but it doesn't dig deep - you need a larger driver that can move more air if you want to fill the car with bass. Just replacing the speakers (or amp) with something beefier of the same size isn't likely going to get you very far. Some tips here:

https://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/...p-install.html
https://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/...-question.html
https://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/...ir-2015-a.html
finchna and Fieldhammer like this.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-28-2017, 01:33 AM

Car: 2010 Legacy 3.6R Limited || "1SlickVDC" 2001 Outback H6 VDC
Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to botenredwolf Send a message via Skype™ to botenredwolf
Quote:
It's called humour guys. Something us Aussies have a lot of. Or our style might just be a little different to yours. It was in no way intended to belittle the OP just a little humour so take a chill pill and relax.
Now I feel like a total ****. lol I woke up to an e-mail notification and hadn't had time to process that...

back on topic...

well... maybe. depends if it's going to be tweak time or modification time.

Kenwood DMX7704S + iDataLink Maestro, Stock H/K speakers and amplifier, JL 12W6v3 HO Wedge, JL XD1000/5v2 adding some kick. (Not hooked up yet: Hertz Energy component speakers)

botenredwolf lives in the Audio section of this forum and is a MECP Installer

Like my advice? Buy me a drink:
13nPyPmaUQK4Lp6wz6ikGSH7jBSMB2KKdv (BTC)
0x15dc8d61f72b66fd6df726f678706642d9c70bfc (ETH)

post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-28-2017, 01:47 AM

Car: 2003 VDC
Garage
Quote:
Heh heh. 2 points!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: