2018 headunit issues thread. - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums
 682Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 4.60 average.
post #1 of 1900 (permalink) Old 09-04-2017, 02:05 AM Thread Starter

Car: Betty: White '18 OB 3.6R Ltd, Moonroof, Nav, Eyesight. Barbie III: 2015 OB 3.6R Ltd, Moonroof, Nav, Eyesight, Red/Ivory
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
2018 headunit issues thread.

Test drove an new '18 Limited w/ Eyesight & Nav a couple of times. On at least 2 occasions on different drives, the head unit completely froze up. No response to soft or hard buttons or dials. Turned the car off and on again, but it was still frozen. Turned the car off and left it for a while, and all was OK again.

Has anyone else experienced this problem?

gsctht, Fitzy and JohnS43 like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 1900 (permalink) Old 09-04-2017, 07:23 AM

I would be curious to know what the salesperson said which I am guessing was right next to you.

post #3 of 1900 (permalink) Old 09-05-2017, 12:03 AM Thread Starter

Car: Betty: White '18 OB 3.6R Ltd, Moonroof, Nav, Eyesight. Barbie III: 2015 OB 3.6R Ltd, Moonroof, Nav, Eyesight, Red/Ivory
The first time he was in the car. Said he never saw it before. The second time I was just sitting in the car getting familiar with the head unit functions. Salesman said he couldn't report it to Subaru until I bought the car. I don't plan to buy that one! Just wondering if it was a wide spread problem.
r3ds4nd likes this.
post #4 of 1900 (permalink) Old 09-05-2017, 05:18 AM

Car: 2018 Dark Blue Outback 3.6R Touring arrived 8/31/2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob 'n Barbie View Post
The first time he was in the car. Said he never saw it before. The second time I was just sitting in the car getting familiar with the head unit functions. Salesman said he couldn't report it to Subaru until I bought the car. I don't plan to buy that one! Just wondering if it was a wide spread problem.
I took delivery of a 2018 Touring Thursday that has that HU.

I've not seen that happen yet.

What I do see regularly is a modal dialog box saying "Signal not found" (I forget the exact wording) and I think that refers to the Sirius satellite radio. It goes away after a few seconds, generally, but it DEMANDS your attention and gets in your way, for something that's pretty much never vital for your current purpose.

I griped at the dealership about that yesterday, told them the people that chose to do that should be shot. Seriously, for a car that's otherwise bending over backwards for safety equipment and trying to not have a distracted driver, how could THAT get past their thinking? I guess they were testing where they always had solid signal quality. Sirius seems to be fragile to a lot of things, including trees, when it comes to signal reliability. What makes me mad about it is it pops up, even when I'm not even trying to use Sirius. At least, I think it's Sirius it's reporting: it doesn't identify which signal!

I wonder if that part of the HU code is open source, and if I can get things built and installed after modifying it according to a sane way of doing things... my fear is the system may require it be cryptographically-signed by Subaru or whomever makes the HU, and won't be possible to modify what's there, short of getting their private key (that'd be a real problem for them were that to happen!).
ShibaMom likes this.
post #5 of 1900 (permalink) Old 09-05-2017, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob 'n Barbie View Post
Test drove an new '18 Limited w/ Eyesight & Nav a couple of times. On at least 2 occasions on different drives, the head unit completely froze up. No response to soft or hard buttons or dials. Turned the car off and on again, but it was still frozen. Turned the car off and left it for a while, and all was OK again.

Has anyone else experienced this problem?
I bought a 2018 Outback last month and I continue to have this problem. The touch screen becomes unresponsive but the other buttons like RADIO, PHONE, HOME, etc... all work when pressed. The knob also works for me and helps control Apple Carplay when this happens but so far I have not found an easy fix. I plan on taking it to the dealership for maintenance as soon as possible... I was hoping they would come out with an update for the system soon. Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

I'm driving an 2018 Outback Premium 2.5i by the way.
post #6 of 1900 (permalink) Old 09-05-2017, 07:56 PM

Car: 2017 Outback 2.5i Limited
Ain't it awesome being a beta tester for Subaru? Let us know how it works out for you.
gsctht likes this.
post #7 of 1900 (permalink) Old 09-05-2017, 09:37 PM

Car: 2000 Subaru Outback Limited
Garage
If this happens again, pull over, turn your headlights off and on ten times, then bring it to dealer within a week. It saves the error file on the radio that can be only retrieved in a week or it gets erased.
The file gets sent to the engineers for analysis.
LI_NY_1, JennRosa and DoctorB like this.

2002 WRX, STI engine swapped,daily.
1992 Turbo Integra GSR
2006 White Legacy SUS
2015 Limited Yellow Crosstrek
2008 Subaru Tribeca
Subaru Service Technician.
post #8 of 1900 (permalink) Old 09-05-2017, 10:55 PM

Car: 2018 Dark Blue Outback 3.6R Touring arrived 8/31/2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirtef9 View Post
If this happens again, pull over, turn your headlights off and on ten times, then bring it to dealer within a week. It saves the error file on the radio that can be only retrieved in a week or it gets erased.
The file gets sent to the engineers for analysis.
Then you do the hokey-pokey and you turn your car around: that's what it's all about!

More seriously, these funky ways of getting things done, is there a reference for these things available mere mortals (I'm a software engineer at a huge software company) can get?

I suppose in the regular daily usage, only insane people turn their headlights on and off 10 times in a row in short order...
Heebaru likes this.
post #9 of 1900 (permalink) Old 09-20-2017, 08:20 PM

2018 head unit freezing

2018 Premier (Canada) (Touring in USA). I've had my head unit freeze up a couple of times now. screen shows a bit of map and the radio plays the last channel tuned. absolutely no control of anything. I can however, zoom and pan around on the map.
dealer suggested forcing a power down of the system by disconnecting the negative battery terminal and holding that against the positive for 10 minutes. not that did anything. the system had rebooted before I did this and after the procedure still had all my settings. maybe not a good contact? anyway, with control reestablished, I did a reset from the settings menu. still working. so.....
thxbaby likes this.
post #10 of 1900 (permalink) Old 09-22-2017, 02:52 PM

Massive merged 2018 headunit thread.

Well I'm still a newbie here but I'm going to start a post with links and summaries of discovered issues and fixes with the 2018+ 8" Infotainment system. My goal is to use this post and the next two reserved post areas so this can be a "table of contents // index" to threads or specific posts with issues, possible fixes, etc. as time goes on.

Feel free to comment here if you see something (link, thread, etc.) to include in the TOC in Post #2

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: