Aftermarket tpms sensors - Page 2 - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums
 16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #11 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-11-2018, 11:52 PM

Car: 2015 Carbide Gray Outback 3.6R with EyeSight
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmwarner View Post
Not viewing the pesky light is not worth $150 to you?

Sorry. Could not resist.
If anything, I use that light as a reminder of the $150 I saved by not buying the set of sensors for my winter wheel/tire package

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-12-2018, 06:27 AM

Car: '14 Subi OBW, '02 Subi OBW (gone now, but well loved), '15 Toyota Sienna, '13 Honda CR-V
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danver View Post
I've still been back and forth on whether I am going to put TPMS sensors in my winter tires. I've gone a few months with the light on and that doesn't bother me much any more but having an almost new car with a major feature disabled still doesn't set right with me.

When the tire shop didn't have the right sensors I think I remember him saying they could install the sensors later by just breaking the bead and the tires wouldn't have to be re-balanced. Does that sound right?
As you know, I'm an advocate. Two incredible saves by the early warning of TPMS since 2011 has made me a true believer.

True, you could just break the bead seal and slip an assembly in to replace the valve, reseal with the wet stuff and reinflate the tire. But you will be adding approximately 20 grams to one spot. That's like tacking on 3 of the 1/4 oz stick-on weights. I suspect that you won't be totally happy at highway speeds.

2002 OBW base model with automatic. Added: CD player, Security System, tweeters & subwoofer, trailer hitch, lighting mods, cabin filters, hood deflector, drivers lumbar mods, winter tires.
2014 OBW Premium, CVT & Moonroof. Added: trailer hitch, lighting mods, upgraded horn, winter tire/wheel/TPMS package.
post #13 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-12-2018, 09:31 AM Thread Starter

Well I went against the grain and bought a pack of four off Amazon for 59 for the set.. it was pretty much identical to the shrader sensors for numbers and all and the company makes tons of other products that seemed either really good or just okay so for the price I'll give it a shot

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk
post #14 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-12-2018, 10:27 AM

Car: 2017 Outback 3.6R Limited
If you get the programmable sensors like Schrader EZ, they can be set to match the sensor IDs in your other wheels. But if you use non-programmable sensors, the IDs are fixed, and the car's ECU will need to be reprogrammed every time you switch wheels. (ATEQ Quickset is the tool of choice for the ECU reprogramming task, but it doesn't program the actual sensors.)
N4HHE and Subiesweatt like this.
post #15 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-12-2018, 04:23 PM

Car: 2017 2.5i Premium Lapis Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fibber2 View Post
As you know, I'm an advocate. Two incredible saves by the early warning of TPMS since 2011 has made me a true believer.

True, you could just break the bead seal and slip an assembly in to replace the valve, reseal with the wet stuff and reinflate the tire. But you will be adding approximately 20 grams to one spot. That's like tacking on 3 of the 1/4 oz stick-on weights. I suspect that you won't be totally happy at highway speeds.
That is what I was worried about. I just didn't know if the added weight inside of the wheel would affect the balance.
But thinking back I'm pretty sure the tire shop didn't tell me they would do that after all. I just remembered it wrong. When he talked about just having to break the bead was when he was having trouble reading my factory TPMS sensors in the stock wheels. That was when I first got there and he went outside to do that part while waiting for a stall to open to get the car inside and get the winter tires mounted and swapped. That was when he said if he couldn't get it to work he might have to break the bead to get the code or whatever directly off the sensors.

It never came to that because the sensors they had there supposedly wouldn't work on my wheels. Something about them hitting the side of the tire or something that I later decided didn't make much sense but who knows? I think maybe he just didn't want to admit he couldn't figure out how to program them with my car. Anyway, if I do decide to go with the sensors I will have to have the tires balanced again for sure.
post #16 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-12-2018, 05:27 PM

Car: '14 Subi OBW, '02 Subi OBW (gone now, but well loved), '15 Toyota Sienna, '13 Honda CR-V
Quote:
Originally Posted by Subiesweatt View Post
Well I went against the grain and bought a pack of four off Amazon for 59 for the set.. it was pretty much identical to the shrader sensors for numbers and all and the company makes tons of other products that seemed either really good or just okay so for the price I'll give it a shot
Curious; what brand and part number?

2002 OBW base model with automatic. Added: CD player, Security System, tweeters & subwoofer, trailer hitch, lighting mods, cabin filters, hood deflector, drivers lumbar mods, winter tires.
2014 OBW Premium, CVT & Moonroof. Added: trailer hitch, lighting mods, upgraded horn, winter tire/wheel/TPMS package.
post #17 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-12-2018, 05:56 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fibber2 View Post
Curious; what brand and part number?

The brand comes out of asia somewhere im pretty sure. Name is AUTOKAY. I went through their sellers page and found other tpms sensors and none of them have bad reviews so I'll be the guinea pig!

https://www.amazon.com/AUTOKAY-Pressure-Monitor-Sensors-Impreza/dp/B076VJ84Q3

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #18 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-12-2018, 10:28 PM

Car: 2017 2.5i Premium Crystal White Pearl with Ivory Cloth, with Eyesight and self dimming outside mirrors.
Quote:
The brand comes out of asia somewhere im pretty sure. Name is AUTOKAY. I went through their sellers page and found other tpms sensors and none of them have bad reviews so I'll be the guinea pig!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I see that the last picture has a sticker on the TPMS that says "Made in UK".
post #19 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-12-2018, 10:30 PM

Quote:
... and these are programmable for cloning ?
post #20 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-12-2018, 10:59 PM

Car: 2017 Outback 3.6R Limited
Quote:
Originally Posted by fraugher View Post
Quote:
... and these are programmable for cloning ?
Those appear to be standard Subaru-compatible sensors, which are not programmable for cloning.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: