New Owner - Problems or Just Clueless? - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums
 20Likes
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #1 of 61 (permalink) Old 01-31-2018, 11:36 AM Thread Starter

Car: 2018 Outback 2.5i Limited w/Eyesight
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
New Owner - Problems or Just Clueless?

Hello everyone, I got our new 2018 Outback 2.5i Limited w/Eyesight last Friday. I've read all the manuals and also searched this forum as well. However, I do have some questions/issues. I'm not sure if they are actual problems or just my lack of knowledge.

1. Outside temperature does not seem to adjust to match the true temperature. I'm almost 100% sure this is an actual problem that will need to be fixed by the dealership.
  2. No speed volume setting. Found out this is a problem for everyone.
  3. The rear gate/trunk will not open via the button by the steering wheel after driving the car, then stopping, placing into Park and setting the emergency brake. Still does not work after turning off the car. It does work after opening the driver's door.
  4. Rear windshield wiper does not work. I've tried all the various positions on the "wheel" of the wiper knob.
  5. The console is showing 19.5 mpg after 70+ miles of driving. This is only fluctuating by one mpg or two. The range has always shown between 240 - 260 miles. I started with a full tank of gas. The gauge is now showing ~7/8 full. Does the system need to "learn" your driving and becomes more accurate over time? Does something need to be done after filling up the tank to make this accurate (the dealership filled up the tank when I took delivery)? I know I'm doing a bit better than 19.5 as I've been light on the pedal .
Thanks for the time and help!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 61 (permalink) Old 01-31-2018, 11:44 AM

Car: 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 2011 WRX, 2015 Legacy 3.6r loaded and a 2016 Camaro 2SS.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdwindansea View Post
Hello everyone, I got our new 2018 Outback 2.5i Limited w/Eyesight last Friday. I've read all the manuals and also searched this forum as well. However, I do have some questions/issues. I'm not sure if they are actual problems or just my lack of knowledge.

1. Outside temperature does not seem to adjust to match the true temperature. I'm almost 100% sure this is an actual problem that will need to be fixed by the dealership.
  2. No speed volume setting. Found out this is a problem for everyone.
  3. The rear gate/trunk will not open via the button by the steering wheel after driving the car, then stopping, placing into Park and setting the emergency brake. Still does not work after turning off the car. It does work after opening the driver's door.
  4. Rear windshield wiper does not work. I've tried all the various positions on the "wheel" of the wiper knob.
  5. The console is showing 19.5 mpg after 70+ miles of driving. This is only fluctuating by one mpg or two. The range has always shown between 240 - 260 miles. I started with a full tank of gas. The gauge is now showing ~7/8 full. Does the system need to "learn" your driving and becomes more accurate over time? Does something need to be done after filling up the tank to make this accurate (the dealership filled up the tank when I took delivery)? I know I'm doing a bit better than 19.5 as I've been light on the pedal .
Thanks for the time and help!

For #5, the engine needs to break in, plus it depends on what type of driving you are doing.

post #3 of 61 (permalink) Old 01-31-2018, 11:48 AM

Car: 2015 Outback Limited, 2.5i, Keyless, Nav, Eyesight, Venetian Red
Tailgate........I have found pushing the door unlock button seems to satisfy Subaru’s logic to open the tailgate. Otherwise, it can be non cooperative.
post #4 of 61 (permalink) Old 01-31-2018, 11:52 AM

Car: 2017 2.5 Touring
1. Outside temp is affected for a while if car has been washed. Don't know if that is your issue.
2. Not a problem, it is just not there.
5. All city driving in cold weather? Sounds about right.
post #5 of 61 (permalink) Old 01-31-2018, 12:15 PM

Car: 2019 Forester Sport. Love the Orange.
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Speed Volume Control has changed through Gen 4 to Gen 5. IIRC my 2011 had a separate SVC adjustment. My 2013 had auto SVC and my 2017 has none. I may have '11 and "13 reversed but depending on trim level it seems to come and go. Currently it's a go.

I'm not happy....till you're not happy
post #6 of 61 (permalink) Old 01-31-2018, 12:16 PM Thread Starter

Thanks everyone, I appreciate it.

#1 - I'm sure the dealership washed the car about 5 days ago before it was delivered to me. I'll ask them about the outside temp gauge when I'm there next.
#2 - Sounds like the tailgate button can have a mind of its own?
#5 - It has been mostly city driving, but in warm San Diego. Guess there is a break in period for the MPG and range to become accurate if I'm understanding this correctly.
post #7 of 61 (permalink) Old 01-31-2018, 12:16 PM

Car: 2017 Outback Limited 2.5, Twilight Blue/Ivory, Eyesight. Also 1995 BMW 525i with 240,000 miles
Garage
Tailgate, hold the button for a second or two. That might be your issue.

Thank you
Russell Casey, 2017 Outback Limited 2.5, Twilight Blue/Ivory with Eyesight. Build date: 7/19/16. Purchased 8/5/16 in USA. Currently about 21,000 miles.
Added LED backup, cargo, door courtesy lights and Lamin-X yellow film on LED fog lights. Nushield Dayvue antiglare screen, Soundproofed front/rear doors, floorboard, cargo floor, tailgate, cowl area & all wheel wells. 7/70 zero gold warranty

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 61 (permalink) Old 01-31-2018, 12:25 PM

Car: 2018 Outback Touring 3.6R
All doors must be unlocked before the hatch button will work. Also, the car has to be in Park. I wish I could change it...
GregS and sdwindansea like this.

Dan

2018 Outback Touring 3.6R

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 61 (permalink) Old 01-31-2018, 12:39 PM

Car: 2018 Outaback 2.5i Limited with eyesight.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdwindansea View Post
Thanks everyone, I appreciate it.

You have to unlock the doors before hitting the rear hatch button or it won't open the rear hatch. I know it's annoying but that's how it works.

Our temp guage is off sometimes too, it's a glitch. Happened the other day, sunny no rain, got in the car and it read 64 degree's. After driving around in 42 degree weather for 30 minutes it still read 64 degree's. Stopped had lunch started the car and it was reading correctly.

This is our first Subaru and it's a quirky car for sure. the radio doesn't actually turn off and have you noticed that the cruise speed adjust in increments of 5 MPH? If you want one MPH incerements you have to hold th button for a second or two before releasing.
post #10 of 61 (permalink) Old 01-31-2018, 01:00 PM Thread Starter

Thanks so much @atc98092 and @GregS. I'm pretty sure that is the issue with the rear hatch. I did not see that mentioned in the manual, but I could've missed it.

There are definitely some glitches/oddities. The outside temp has never been correct for me yet. I haven't used the cruise control yet, but I'll pay attention to that one. I've already experienced the radio preset issue along with the others I've already mentioned. That being said, I'm very happy overall.

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: