Automatic rear wiper - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums
 13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-28-2018, 10:34 AM Thread Starter

Car: 2018 White Outback Touring 2.5i
Garage
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Automatic rear wiper

Is there any way to get the rear wiper to turn on automatically (when you are using the front wipers) and you put your car in reverse? The manual says this feature is enabled on Canada models but not on USA models. Does the dealer have the ability to do it? Because when I showed the manual to my guy, he didn't seem to have a clue what to do. My Honda CRVs both had this feature which is nice in the rain or snow.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-29-2018, 01:06 AM

Car: 2008 OB Limited 2.5i
Not without some code hacking in the BIU. Or it maybe could be patched around with physical wiring, but that would be a real hack, and hardly worth the return for the effort.

And ironically, keeping it all in the BIU is probably why it's so easy to make country-specific or market-specific adaptations such as this.

post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-29-2018, 01:39 AM

Car: 2017 2.5i Premium Lapis Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dantrax View Post
Is there any way to get the rear wiper to turn on automatically (when you are using the front wipers) and you put your car in reverse? The manual says this feature is enabled on Canada models but not on USA models. Does the dealer have the ability to do it? Because when I showed the manual to my guy, he didn't seem to have a clue what to do. My Honda CRVs both had this feature which is nice in the rain or snow.
Yes it can be done by the dealer. I had it done on my 2017. In the USA default if you have the rear wiper on intermittent when you put the car in reverse the rear wiper will go on continuous. With the reverse interlock enabled by the dealer if you have the rear wiper in the off position and the front wipers on, when you put the car in reverse the rear wiper will run on continuous even with the switch off.

Cool feature in theory but since it only works with the front wipers on continuous and not on intermittent, it falls one step short of an awesome idea.
post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-29-2018, 02:28 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Yes it's a good feature & super convenient & I'll even take it half assed than not at all. Guess I'll have to find another dealer, or maybe on my next vacation to Niagara Falls I'll stop by a Subaru dealer on the Canadian side and have them flash it over for me but that's not to likely to happen. I'll try SOA for an inquiry & see who they say can do it for me.
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-29-2018, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dantrax View Post
Yes it's a good feature & super convenient & I'll even take it half assed than not at all. Guess I'll have to find another dealer, or maybe on my next vacation to Niagara Falls I'll stop by a Subaru dealer on the Canadian side and have them flash it over for me but that's not to likely to happen. I'll try SOA for an inquiry & see who they say can do it for me.
My guess is that the Canadian dealers won't know anything about it either since it is already set up that way as the default on the Canadian Subarus.

The service writer at my local small-town dealership didn't know anything about it either but there is a whole list of things they can change and apparently the tech didn't have any problems making the change for me while it was in the dealership getting other work done. They didn't charge me for it but I'm not sure that would be the case if I wasn't having other work done.

Sometimes you have to educate the dealerships. I brought in a copy of the page in the owner's manual that mentions the rear wiper reverse interlock and they figured it out. They also didn't seem familiar with adjusting the fuel mileage calculator either but when I go in for my next oil change I am going to get them to figure out how to adjust that as well so it is closer to reality.
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-29-2018, 05:47 PM

Car: 96 OBW 2.5; 2016 Outback 2.5 Premium
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danver View Post
They also didn't seem familiar with adjusting the fuel mileage calculator either but when I go in for my next oil change I am going to get them to figure out how to adjust that as well so it is closer to reality.
Adjusting MPG calculation by the dealer has been discussed in this forum before. I provided that info to my dealer and they did the adjustment for me to my satisfaction a while back. I don't remember the details but you should be able to search this forum and get your answer.
Danver likes this.
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-29-2018, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasy View Post
Adjusting MPG calculation by the dealer has been discussed in this forum before. I provided that info to my dealer and they did the adjustment for me to my satisfaction a while back. I don't remember the details but you should be able to search this forum and get your answer.
Thanks. I already have the info, I'm just waiting until the next time the car is in the shop for service and I will have it done. In the mean time I keep collecting fuel mileage data in different types of driving to determine how much I want it adjusted.
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-29-2018, 06:43 PM

Car: 2018 Outback Touring 3.6R
Quote:
Originally Posted by vasy View Post
I had to explain it to my dealer, as he was unaware of the setting. At first he said that Subaru wouldn't cover the cost, and that he'd have to charge me $65, which I declined. But when they had finished my 6000 mile service and the radio reflash, he told me they did it anyway. Haven't run a full tank of gas yet to check the accuracy, but my fillup today was about 40% closer, and I had about 60% of the tank on the new setting. That should balance out pretty close with a complete tank measurement. I had them set it at -5%.

Dan

2018 Outback Touring 3.6R

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-30-2018, 06:14 AM

Car: 96 OBW 2.5; 2016 Outback 2.5 Premium
Quote:
Originally Posted by atc98092 View Post
I had them set it at -5%.
That's how I had mine set, -5%. After that it was pretty much spot on.
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-30-2018, 07:47 AM Thread Starter

Garage
I submitted this inquiry>>>> Why is the automatic rear wiper feature turned off on American Outbacks? It is enabled on Canadian Outbacks as stated in the owner's manual. I would like the automatic rear wiper turned on in my Outback just like Canadian Outbacks. I showed my dealer Curry Subaru the information in the Owner's manual but they didn't seem to know how to do it. Could you instruct them on how to enable this feature on my car? Thanks Dantrax
And I received this response>>>> Thank you for contacting Subaru of America, Inc. We appreciate you taking time out of your day to contact us.

We welcome your contact, as it relates to the Outback. We do not offer rear automatic windshield wipers. There is no way to adjust them, as they are not designed that way on US models. We really cannot speak for Canada Subaru vehicles, as they are not manufactured by Subaru of America, Inc.

Have a good day.

Sincerely,

Lana
Subaru of America, Inc. So then I tried to inspire SOA with this response but I haven't heard anything back yet >>>> Dear Lana, You are Subaru of America & you can do anything. Show some American ingenuity & get a feature that works on 3rd world country cars, enabled on your American cars. That is all. Thank you & have a MAGA day. Dan >>>> Do you think that was inspiring or are we at war with Subaru of Canada yet?

2018 White Outback Touring 2.5

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: