Drastic fix for faulty RAB - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums
 10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 2.50 average.
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-09-2018, 05:15 PM Thread Starter

Car: 18 Outback 3.6r Touring
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Drastic fix for faulty RAB

Previously I had posted in a few threads about how the RAB would fail and disable itself until the next time the car was started. There was also a tied in issue with the airbag throwing some generic code and also being disabled when the RAB failed. And for the last 7 months SoA has stated this is "working as designed".
Well I'm happy to say the system really WAS faulty and NOT working as designed. I have been driving it for the last 3-4 weeks without an incident. I can back in and out of my driveway now without the system failing and disabling itself and the airbags. And the generic error code for the airbag is gone. In fact I thought it was too good to be true I had to test to see if the system was even working. So my first test was to stick a garbage can in my driveway and as I backed in the system activated just as it should and stopped the car. It did not disable itself either. My second test was in a parking lot as I rolled back into a space with a retaining wall and bushes behind me. Again the car stopped flawlessly as it should. Not a single failure.

So now we come to the fix. Unfortunately what made it so drastic was that it required another car to rear end me. Luckily it wasn't anything major. Some dumb chick with a smartphone wasn't paying attention at a light and bumped me. The damage was just a few minor scratches on the rear bumper. Fortunately the screw or bolt holding her front plate on hit perfectly on one of the sensors and busted it. It made backing up a pain till it was fixed as the system would immediately alert and slam on the brakes each time the car was put in reverse. The repairs included a new bumper cover, 4 new sensors and clips. After 2 weeks (time to get the correct bumper cover from the warehouse) I had the car back. And not a single failure or the system disabling itself since. It's been working flawlessly.

If anyone else is having issues with the system disabling itself, leaving the fault indicator lights on the dash as you drive, it might be worth seeing if you dealer would replace the sensors. I don't think the bumper cover would have made a difference. According to my invoice the sensors only cost about $25 each. It seems a cheap fix for $100 in parts and about an hour of labor.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-09-2018, 06:45 PM

Car: 2017 2.5 Touring
I am glad you were able to fix it without resorting to a hammer.
"If you can't fix it with a hammer, it is an electrical problem"

miker104 and rasterman like this.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-09-2018, 10:56 PM

Car: 2017 Outback 2.5i Limited
Garage
Great info! I'm actually amazed the dealer didn't have a test or a formal diagnostic procedure to diagnose faulty sensors. Seems like it would be easy to plug a computer into the OBD2 port, move objects into the range of each sensor per prompts on the computer screen. Computer would them give each sensor a pass/fail.
TheBlueSubaru likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-09-2018, 11:04 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormrunner001 View Post
Great info! I'm actually amazed the dealer didn't have a test or a formal diagnostic procedure to diagnose faulty sensors. Seems like it would be easy to plug a computer into the OBD2 port, move objects into the range of each sensor per prompts on the computer screen. Computer would them give each sensor a pass/fail.
It wasn’t just the dealer. SoA flew some engineer to the dealership to look at it and couldn’t figure it out either.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-10-2018, 08:12 AM

Car: 2010 2.5 CVT Premium
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikelipke View Post
I am glad you were able to fix it without resorting to a hammer.
"If you can't fix it with a hammer, it is an electrical problem"
Actually, it WAS fixed with a hammer. It just happened to be a hammer shaped like a car.

Good to see you finally got it resolved but no thanks to the service department or SoA that never disgnosed it.
I forsee as we get more and more doo-dads and gadgets in cars we will continue to experience more unexplained anomalies. That's progress for you...
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-10-2018, 09:46 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dukey33 View Post
Good to see you finally got it resolved but no thanks to the service department or SoA that never disgnosed it.
It’s sad that according to a few other threads here I wasn’t the only one having this issue. I hate to see that those owners have to go thru this to get it fixed.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-10-2018, 01:39 PM

Car: 2017 Outback 3.6 Touring, which replaced '05 Outback XT
There seems to be this bizarre unwillingness by mechanics and dealers to replace a suspect part if they don't have a diagnostic test pointing to it as being the culprit. I've been repairing electronic systems for some 30 years, and sometimes there is no definitive test and you just have to try replacing stuff. Occasionally, you wind up replacing a component that does not resolve the problem, but it is still a step forward because you know what isn't causing it.

Theodore Roosevelt said, “In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.” Do something, even if it's wrong.
miker104 likes this.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-10-2018, 03:45 PM

Car: 2011 SSM Outback 2.5i Premium
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnmarshall View Post
It wasn’t just the dealer. SoA flew some engineer to the dealership to look at it and couldn’t figure it out either.
Did the dealer do the collision repair? If not, have you reported that the issue was resolved with replacement of the sensors? That might be info they want, or if you had a case with SoA maybe update that case with this info. It might help to get quicker resolution to someone else's issue.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-10-2018, 04:57 PM

Car: 2018 Dark Blue Outback 3.6R Touring arrived 8/31/2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnmarshall View Post
Considering what I do for a living, I'm reading this and find it disturbing there's no QA test suite for diagnosing if something is working properly or not, and if not, why not. This is somewhere between a software and a hardware issue, and testing procedures need to take that into account. Without a formal testing procedure to show what's correct behavior, how can you define when it's not operating correctly?

I'd suggest you absolutely contact SOA and report your experience: this is either a case of the technician not being competent enough, and/or they've not properly considered the testing/diagnostic procedures to verify if what they're producing or diagnosing is working correctly or not. Either way, SOA needs to know what's broken so they can keep it from happening again, if not for their customer's safety and satisfaction, then at least for their bottom line.

2018 Outback 3.6R Touring, Dark Blue Pearl
past: 2007 Subaru Legacy 2.5i SE, Blue
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-10-2018, 06:15 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBlueSubaru View Post
Considering what I do for a living, I'm reading this and find it disturbing there's no QA test suite for diagnosing if something is working properly or not, and if not, why not. This is somewhere between a software and a hardware issue, and testing procedures need to take that into account. Without a formal testing procedure to show what's correct behavior, how can you define when it's not operating correctly?
LOL. You get what you pay for, or caveat emptor. Take your pick. Based on issues with the radio and electronics there is no design. Based on all the other issues like this, the radio, hood, body panels, etc.... there is no quality. Typically when we shop based on features and price it comes down to Subaru or Kia/Hyundai. In our market Subaru’s are cheap! I always favor the Korean option based on superior design, quality and support. But my wife prefers the Subaru. It usually leads to disappointment. Twice in the last 7 years we ended up trading in for a Korean model. This time, as we transitioned from a lease to a purchase, I told my wife you are stuck with it for at least 5 years. I get to chose my next new ride in the purchasing plans. It won’t be a Subaru or VW.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: