How to disable RAB & Rear beeping - Page 4 - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums
 25Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #31 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-24-2019, 11:42 PM

Car: 2001 Subaru Outback LL Bean, 3.0 H6
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by mowcowbell View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by mowcowbell View Post
Can't wait to turn this off and come tearing out in reverse down my driveway tomorrow morning! Look out neighborhood cats and possums!
I permanently resolved my RAB issue. Traded off the Outback and bought a Honda Clarity PHEV. 172mpg on the last tank, and no RAB at all.
That's one way to do it. I just back into my driveway. RAB saved me the first week. A large Lincoln Navigator parked so close to me and I had no room to turn out. I thought I might hit the car behind me but per the video I seemed ok. Then as I hit the gas boom! I thought for sure I hit something. Then after thinking about it... felt like ABS. It was RAB. whether it actually saved me I don't know. I can see it being useful for those situations. I like the backup cam, my garage is 16 feet long. It's too bad all car manufacturers(engineers) think they have it all figured out. We control everything so you don't have to!

Hey at least we can turn it off...

Sandbag and mowcowbell like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-25-2019, 01:32 AM

Car: 2019 2.5i Premium w/Eyesight, "Wilderness Green Metallic"
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by h2lam View Post
I heard this RAB is only on 2017 or 2018 models and newer. So anything older than 2017 should be fine without RAB. So there is only beeping warning but no breaking (much better). RAB is only on the packages with eye sight so if you buy any base models without eyesight, you will not get blind spot and RAB.

Well -- my 2019 has eye sight, blind spot beeping, but no RAB.

Is this possible? Or is something way down deep inside the computer turned off when it shouldn't be?

Does blind spot beeping/warning use the peripheral of the back up camera, or are there other sensors for it? I've been under the car a couple of times looking, but couldn't find any sensors.

I thought I wanted RAB until I read this thread. Just out of curiosity, does RAB use a separate box, or is it run through the main computer???

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #33 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-25-2019, 02:43 AM

Car: 2015 Legacy Premium 2.5 CVT w/EyeSight+SRVD ... 2016 Outback Premium 2.5 CVT w/EyeSight+SRVD
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClovisMan View Post
Is this possible? Or is something way down deep inside the computer turned off when it shouldn't be?
I don't think RAB was available in Premium trim. Does your Outback have the small, round sonar transducers in the rear bumper cover?

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there." ~ The Cheshire Cat (Alice in Wonderland)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #34 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-25-2019, 09:01 AM

Garage
No, it doesn't have the sensors in the bumper cover.

I'm trying to understand the various systems. Is RAB completely different/separate from the blind spot warning? How does each work? Etc.....
post #35 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-25-2019, 10:33 AM

Car: 2019 Subaru Outback Touring 3.6R
Quote:
No, it doesn't have the sensors in the bumper cover.

I'm trying to understand the various systems. Is RAB completely different/separate from the blind spot warning? How does each work? Etc.....

it works at slow speeds when backing up - it looks directly behind the car, a path about 6 inches wider on each side of the car, directly behind it.

the dude in the video should have totally run over the little cutout with the RAB off....
post #36 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-25-2019, 02:15 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by walker View Post
it works at slow speeds when backing up - it looks directly behind the car, a path about 6 inches wider on each side of the car, directly behind it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lpCor2z3TmA

the dude in the video should have totally run over the little cutout with the RAB off....

Well, yeah, I understand that.

What I'm trying to find out is whether the two functions are from the same system, or two different systems, and the operation of the two systems -- how the sensors are connected, how the blind spot warning detects obstacles, etc.

post #37 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-25-2019, 03:48 PM

Car: 2018 Outback Touring 3.6R
Quote:
Does blind spot beeping/warning use the peripheral of the back up camera, or are there other sensors for it? I've been under the car a couple of times looking, but couldn't find any sensors.
It might use the camera, but I'm certain it at least uses the blind spot detectors. It triggers the lights on my side mirrors when it starts beeping. And it appears to be very good at catching any motion. It will trigger with someone walking near me as I back out of a store parking lot.

Since the rear camera isn't stereo like the front Eyesight system, it wouldn't work real well to determine movement towards or away from the car. It also wouldn't really catch the change in slope when I'm backing down my driveway into the garage. RAB does both well, in fact too well on my driveway. I have to disable it or it slams on the brakes as I reach the bottom of my driveway, where it changes angles up into the garage.

Dan

2018 Outback Touring 3.6R

post #38 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-25-2019, 04:54 PM

Car: 2019 Subaru Outback Touring 3.6R
Quote:
Well, yeah, I understand that.

What I'm trying to find out is whether the two functions are from the same system, or two different systems, and the operation of the two systems -- how the sensors are connected, how the blind spot warning detects obstacles, etc.
RAB uses four SONAR sensors mounted in the rear bumper cover. You can see them easily. They feed into a control module for the RAB. As someone else wrote earlier, the RAB function can be turned off entirely by a service department.

Blind Spot Detection/Rear Cross Traffic Alert is a different system, and uses two RADAR units, one on the left side, one on the right side (underneath the bumper cover, mounted just under the rear tail lights).

So, they are different sensors for different independent systems.
ClovisMan likes this.
post #39 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-25-2019, 06:36 PM

Car: 2015 Legacy Premium 2.5 CVT w/EyeSight+SRVD ... 2016 Outback Premium 2.5 CVT w/EyeSight+SRVD
Quote:
Originally Posted by walker View Post
So, they are different sensors for different independent systems.
Correct. And both are independent of EyeSight.
walker likes this.

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there." ~ The Cheshire Cat (Alice in Wonderland)

post #40 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-25-2019, 07:29 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ammcinnis View Post
I don't think RAB was available in Premium trim.

You know -- I don't really know. I really wasn't very well educated when we bought this car, having just been in an accident that totaled our last car. That was quite a jolt, hitting someone who turned in front of me at a red light. I was doing 35, but milliseconds later I was completely stopped.

What I did know, and knew for SURE, was that I wanted all the safety systems I could get, including something that would help mitigate collisions such as I had just been through.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: