2015 OB,cracked front cat at 84K miles.Dealer says it's not warranteed. - Page 4 - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums
 16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #31 of 45 (permalink) Old 08-15-2018, 04:17 PM

Car: 2016 OB 3.6R - Carbide Gray
Garage
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shalom View Post
Update: None as of yet.

I went to the muffler guy last week. He put the car up on the lift, took one look under it at all the stuff that's in the way that he'd have to remove, and decided he didn't want to deal with it. Said I'd be better off having the Subaru people taking care of it, and he'd probably have to charge me about $500 to change out the part, assuming I brought him the part. (He's more comfortable working on classics, I think.)

So I called the Subaru phone number today. Told them the mileage, and that the front cat had split at a seam. Gave them the VIN, (which he asked for the "vehicle's VIN number", which if you know what those three letters stand for is twice redundant. Aargh,) said he'd look into it and get back to me by 7:00 PM tomorrow. That's where we stand so far.
I'd be a little surprised if Subaru is unwilling to help you. Especially given it is so close to being out of warranty. Dealers are the worst thing about the car business, I really wish Tesla would help to destroy the dealer model, and I'm not even in love with the brand. I just hate dealers. Good luck on whatever happens.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 45 (permalink) Old 08-15-2018, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1454 View Post
I'd be a little surprised if Subaru is unwilling to help you. Especially given it is so close to being out of warranty. Dealers are the worst thing about the car business, I really wish Tesla would help to destroy the dealer model, and I'm not even in love with the brand. I just hate dealers. Good luck on whatever happens.
Tesla seems to be digging itself a very deep hole with the SEC. Don't think the dealer model is going anywhere anytime soon.

1454 likes this.

"Another Brick In The Wall", PF 1979
"Happiness Is A Warm Gun", Beatles 1968
"The Rubber Banned Man",Spinners 1976
2011 SS Camaro
1984 Corvette
post #33 of 45 (permalink) Old 08-16-2018, 04:24 PM

Car: 2016 OB 3.6R - Carbide Gray
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by z28dug View Post
Tesla seems to be digging itself a very deep hole with the SEC. Don't think the dealer model is going anywhere anytime soon.
I very much agree here. I'll be a little surprised if Musk is still the CEO next year (if not in jail), and still alive a few years from now.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #34 of 45 (permalink) Old 10-24-2018, 07:11 AM Thread Starter

Car: 2015 Outback 2.5 Premium CVT
Update:

Subaru says the emissions warranty on this model is only for 8 years/80K miles. It's out of warranty (91K as of this writing).

They will pay for half, as a "good will gesture". This means I'm still out of pocket for about $750.00.

I had to fight with them to get that much. I doubt anything further will be paid.

I guess the "glass half full" way to look at it is: If this is the only thing that breaks between here and 100K, I'm still ahead for not having purchased the extended warranty.

It's going in tomorrow for the repair. My only question is, if the part is only about $450, and they say it will be ready in only a couple hours, that's one heck of a labor charge per hour. Unless they're billing me book hours and getting it completed earlier. Is there any wiggle room to negotiate price with them on this? Should I be calling other dealers and getting pricing information from them, or will they all quote me the same price?

Thanks, all.
Brucey likes this.
post #35 of 45 (permalink) Old 10-24-2018, 07:30 AM

Car: 2015 Legacy 3.6R ES, 2014 Forester Touring ES, 2005 Jeep Liberty Limited
Nevermind

Just be thankful for what the One has given to you.

Laughing at oneself and with others is good for the soul.
post #36 of 45 (permalink) Old 10-24-2018, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoda_One View Post
Nevermind

Just be thankful for what the One has given to you.
I agree. Some folks are never satisfied. Out of warranty, not entitled to squat, Subaru makes a goodwill gesture of 50% and still not happy.

All you can do is
Brucey likes this.

"Another Brick In The Wall", PF 1979
"Happiness Is A Warm Gun", Beatles 1968
"The Rubber Banned Man",Spinners 1976
2011 SS Camaro
1984 Corvette
post #37 of 45 (permalink) Old 10-24-2018, 05:04 PM

Car: 2019 Subaru Forester Premium, Crystal Black Silica, Pkg 15
Garage
If it’s PZEV, isn’t it 15 years or something like that? I don’t know, I remember PZEV models lasting longer.

Pilot, Subaru Ambassador, Northern NJ Area
2019 Forester Premium, Crystal Black Silica & Black Cloth, Package 15
Former 2011 Outback 2.5i Limited & 2009 Legacy 2.5i Limited

post #38 of 45 (permalink) Old 10-24-2018, 05:24 PM

Car: 2017 Outback Limited 2.5, Twilight Blue/Ivory, Eyesight. Also 1995 BMW 525i with 240,000 miles
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1226 View Post
If itís PZEV, isnít it 15 years or something like that? I donít know, I remember PZEV models lasting longer.
At least they have larger catalytic converters which mean additional cost.

Thank you
Russell Casey, 2017 Outback Limited 2.5, Twilight Blue/Ivory with Eyesight. Build date: 7/19/16. Purchased 8/5/16 in USA. Currently about 22,000 miles.
Added LED backup, cargo, door courtesy lights and Lamin-X yellow film on LED fog lights. Nushield Dayvue antiglare screen, Soundproofed front/rear doors, floorboard, cargo floor, tailgate, cowl area & all wheel wells. 7/70 zero gold warranty

post #39 of 45 (permalink) Old 10-24-2018, 07:49 PM

Car: '15 Outback 2.5i Premium
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shalom View Post

It's going in tomorrow for the repair. My only question is, if the part is only about $450, and they say it will be ready in only a couple hours, that's one heck of a labor charge per hour. Unless they're billing me book hours and getting it completed earlier.
They probably are using book time. But something else is that a job like that may require more than one person to be working on it at the same time. Two mechanics for, say, three hours (book) is six hours of labor.

Quote:
Is there any wiggle room to negotiate price with them on this? Should I be calling other dealers and getting pricing information from them, or will they all quote me the same price?
No clue. You can try.
post #40 of 45 (permalink) Old 10-24-2018, 10:56 PM

Car: 2016 Tungsten Outback 2.5l Premium w/ES, OP 14, PP #4
Check your VIN. I think if position 6 = A it's PZEV. B = non PREZ. This is for the 2.5l. I didn't check codes for the 3.6. A web search will tell you the states that adopted Calif. PREZ standard, namely the extended warranty. However from what I can determine not all states have adopted the extended emission warrant for PREZ vehicles. For example my Arizona PREZ OB only has the standard Federal emissions warranty. A search suggest NJ does.

russellpat likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: