Subaru's X-Mode is smarter than you. - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums
 25Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 3.00 average.
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-20-2018, 01:19 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Car: '17 3.6 Limited
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Subaru's X-Mode is smarter than you.

We went camping last weekend and while we were there we explored some local trails.

We found a fun incline (that lead to no where) and tried climbing it.

When on a trail I am typically in MANUAL gear select, X Mode ON, and Traction Control OFF.

This is the best combination I've found for the car to work. This is true for what I was doing now too.

The car easily climbed the incline with some momentum.

I then tried crawling up it to see if I could 'stall' the car.

Sure enough I did. At a slow enough speed it bogs into some computer non sense where the traction control can't figure out where to send the power.

I have talked about disabling the system before and decided to try this incline with no control systems on.

I pulled the 7.5 fuse listed on the interior fuse panel. All the computer systems were disabled then.

I then tried crawling the same incline and the car immediately started spinning the rear wheel in a low spot (open diffing/diagonal spin). It threw a lot of dirt and made a mess.

The car couldn't go any further. AWD still seemed to work as the rear wheels were spinning.

Conclusion: The computer systems in these cars are very good. Even if they seem to be a hindrance at times.

I got the whole thing on video if anyone wants to see.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-21-2018, 01:11 AM

Car: 2014 XV 5MT, 2000 Outback Limited 5MT
With the open differentials at the front and back, VDC traction control functionality becomes a necessity to properly put down torque to the wheels with grip, which will facilitate movement over obstacles and low-traction surfaces, especially off-road.

Demonstrations like these are extremely helpful in clearing up the misconception that VDC's traction control is not conducive for off-road driving. Although it may interfere with lateral movement of the vehicle (for example, sliding on dirt), it will keep a Subaru vehicle moving as long as traction is available. With X-MODE, VDC is even better programmed, and those who think VDC and X-MODE do not help off-road need to see your video. Thanks for the video and uploading!

post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-21-2018, 07:03 AM
ghp

Car: 2010/2016 outback
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucey View Post
We went camping last weekend and while we were there we explored some local trails.

We found a fun incline (that lead to no where) and tried climbing it.

When on a trail I am typically in MANUAL gear select, X Mode ON, and Traction Control OFF.

This is the best combination I've found for the car to work. This is true for what I was doing now too.

The car easily climbed the incline with some momentum.

I then tried crawling up it to see if I could 'stall' the car.

Sure enough I did. At a slow enough speed it bogs into some computer non sense where the traction control can't figure out where to send the power.

I have talked about disabling the system before and decided to try this incline with no control systems on.

I pulled the 7.5 fuse listed on the interior fuse panel. All the computer systems were disabled then.

I then tried crawling the same incline and the car immediately started spinning the rear wheel in a low spot (open diffing/diagonal spin). It threw a lot of dirt and made a mess.

The car couldn't go any further. AWD still seemed to work as the rear wheels were spinning.

Conclusion: The computer systems in these cars are very good. Even if they seem to be a hindrance at times.

I got the whole thing on video if anyone wants to see.

https://youtu.be/xLEyk5Y9fPo
You performed the same function as the 19 Forester. With a 2 step X-Mode it disables TC in really bad situations
post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-21-2018, 07:48 AM

Car: 2016 Outback 2.5 Limited
Love the x-mode. We were coming down a very steep gravel road and it performed like a mountain goat, foot off the brake with only light steering applied.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-21-2018, 09:25 AM

Car: 2018 Touring 3.6R
It's definitely a good system. Our daughter has a friend with a cabin off the grid and her Audi Quattro has a very hard time getting up there. It's a gravel drive but a very steep portion is rutted so bad it's hard to keep tires planted. She's started taking the OB instead and says it goes up quite easily.
Brucey likes this.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-21-2018, 10:38 AM

Car: 2010 2.5 CVT Premium
Back in the day (haha!), I was told VW dune buggies and sand rails were modified to have independent rear brakes on a hand controller. I'm not sure if they were mechanical or hydraulic, but it would be easy to do a mechanical implementation through the emergency/parking brake.
These were known as "steering brakes" that helped the buggies make very sharp fast turns. But they were also used to transfer torque if one tire lost traction.
The VDC and x-mode of cars today do very much the same thing and more.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-21-2018, 10:51 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Car: '17 3.6 Limited
Quote:
Originally Posted by dukey33 View Post
Back in the day (haha!), I was told VW dune buggies and sand rails were modified to have independent rear brakes on a hand controller. I'm not sure if they were mechanical or hydraulic, but it would be easy to do a mechanical implementation through the emergency/parking brake.
These were known as "steering brakes" that helped the buggies make very sharp fast turns. But they were also used to transfer torque if one tire lost traction.
The VDC and x-mode of cars today do very much the same thing and more.
Very apt comparison. That actually reminds me how back in the day I modified my Gen 2 open differential to act the same way. I was able to climb on two diagonally placed ramps with a little technique and a lack of finesse.

I even made a thread about it.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-21-2018, 11:11 AM

Car: '17 Outback 3.6R Limited, '05 Forester
With all the computing power in cars today, I'm not surprised that my Outback is smarter than me. There are days where a 2x4 block of wood is smarter than me!
captainadk likes this.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-21-2018, 01:18 PM

Car: 2016 2.5i Premium w/Eyesight, 2007 Explorer V8, 2001 Miata
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by base_nine View Post
With all the computing power in cars today, I'm not surprised that my Outback is smarter than me. There are days where a 2x4 block of wood is smarter than me!
I sometimes feel the same way
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-21-2018, 01:19 PM

Downhill descent control x-mode basically has a brake pedal for each wheel.

Can't replicate that with one brake pedal no matter how hard you try.

kassr2 likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: