Viofo A129 dash cam installation on 2018 OB with Eyesight - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums
 11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-28-2018, 02:56 PM Thread Starter

Car: 2018 Outback 3.6
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Viofo A129 dash cam installation on 2018 OB with Eyesight

I got my A129 2 channel dash cam over the weekend and pretty good feel about this so far. I tried installing it on my Outback with Eyesight. The best location seems to be behind the rear-view mirror for the front cam but that mean i need to run the extremely thick rear cam cable near the eyesight cameras. This dash cam comes with very thick cables for rear cam. The front cam's main cable is not an issue and i am able to push it above the eyesight cover. There is no way rear cam cable will fit there. Anyone has installed this ? Whats best way to install A129 on Subaru that have eyesight.

Sparkland likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-28-2018, 04:24 PM

I’ve installed a front dash cam with eyesight and placed the cable under the eyesight area. The cable was a usb cable that extended to the center arm rest console. I am using the anker dash cam. I can post picture of the ran wire when I get home.

IG: @Khoancy

post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-28-2018, 07:00 PM

Car: 2019 Subaru Outback Touring 3.6R, Crystal White Pearl
Garage
I installed th Street Guardian version of your camera and ran all 3 wires (power, rear cam) from the cam up beside the rearview mirror mount and to the left to the A pillar , then ziptied to the wire harness behind the airbag. Then the power down to the fuse box where an add-a-circuit was installed. the gps was placed right above the camera on the left. The lens of the camera peeks out just below the bottom line of the dot matrix. It is out of the eyesight camera scanning area.

The thick rearview cable is also along the top and runs around the sunroof and down the center of the headliner, into the right rubber tube into the hatch and comes out in the center of the middle trim where the rear cam is mounted to the glass.

No issues anywhere.

2019 Subaru Outback Touring 3.6R - Crystal White - Threw the Accessories book at it...
post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-28-2018, 07:03 PM

Garage
Bad pic but gives an idea.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	A7BC6DAE-6512-43BD-AC60-EA9F60A2D46D_1535497411066.jpeg
Views:	529
Size:	841.0 KB
ID:	435973  
Typo, ricky_thinks and Hieu Hang like this.

2019 Subaru Outback Touring 3.6R - Crystal White - Threw the Accessories book at it...
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-28-2018, 07:13 PM

Car: 2018 Subaru Outback Limited 3.6R Crystal White Pearl/black interior
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Hufnagel View Post
I installed th Street Guardian version of your camera and ran all 3 wires (power, rear cam) from the cam up beside the rearview mirror mount and to the left to the A pillar , then ziptied to the wire harness behind the airbag. Then the power down to the fuse box where an add-a-circuit was installed. the gps was placed right above the camera on the left. The lens of the camera peeks out just below the bottom line of the dot matrix. It is out of the eyesight camera scanning area.

The thick rearview cable is also along the top and runs around the sunroof and down the center of the headliner, into the right rubber tube into the hatch and comes out in the center of the middle trim where the rear cam is mounted to the glass.

No issues anywhere.
Thank you for the description. Just to clarify - is the rear camera cable running between the headliner and the roof or below the headliner in the cabin area?

I had a Viofo A119 and it worked flawlessly. Unfortunately, when I upgraded from my Camry Hybrid to the Outback, I left it in the Camry because it was so well hidden behind the mirror.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-28-2018, 08:38 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparkland View Post
Thank you for the description. Just to clarify - is the rear camera cable running between the headliner and the roof or below the headliner in the cabin area?

I had a Viofo A119 and it worked flawlessly. Unfortunately, when I upgraded from my Camry Hybrid to the Outback, I left it in the Camry because it was so well hidden behind the mirror.
above the headliner, I used fish tape to pull it back.
Typo likes this.

post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-29-2018, 12:21 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Hufnagel View Post

No issues anywhere.
Installing the rear cable like this would be great. How do I actually fish the cable from front to the rear down the center and around sunroof? What do I need to remove to make this happen?
Typo likes this.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-29-2018, 12:24 AM Thread Starter

Also, did the power as well as rear cable fit between eyesight casing and windshield? I havent pushed too hard but I am unable to tuck the rear cable above eyesight casing.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-17-2018, 11:41 AM

Car: 2017 Outback Premium Twilight Blue
Did you have to pull the eyesight plastic housing down and do the dome lights also just pop out with force? I assume its all clips so a hard yank should do it? I also just got an a129 and only installed the front camera so far with the temp usb power. Still waiting on the 3 wire kit.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-17-2018, 02:56 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by LTech221 View Post
Did you have to pull the eyesight plastic housing down and do the dome lights also just pop out with force? I assume its all clips so a hard yank should do it? I also just got an a129 and only installed the front camera so far with the temp usb power. Still waiting on the 3 wire kit.
Yes it came down. Hard pull/yank. Not too far down as there are of course wires and electronics in there too.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: