Replacing horns with Sharptones -- Dr side not PnP? - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums
 14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 1.00 average.
post #1 of 49 (permalink) Old 09-05-2018, 10:43 PM Thread Starter

Car: 2019 Subaru Outback Touring 3.6R, Crystal White Pearl
Garage
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Replacing horns with Sharptones -- Dr side not PnP?

Found a set of the Hella Sharptones and received them today. They have two spade plugs on them (not marked -/+.

Looking at a PDF it shows what appears to be a heatsink and a warning that 'resistor may become hot'

Has it moved to horns now are special and can't just be swapped out?

I saw the grimmspeed harness but apparently it isn't for an 18 OB, nor is subimods. I really don't want to go cutting wires and that possible inline resistor bothers me now.

2019 Subaru Outback Touring 3.6R - Crystal White - Threw the Accessories book at it...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 49 (permalink) Old 09-06-2018, 10:32 AM

Car: 2018 Outback Limited 2.5i
First off, polarity for horns doesn't matter, so you can hook it up either way around.

Second, I checked an online parts fiche, and it appears that Subaru used the same low tone horn since basically forever, and the same high-tone horn from 2015-current. It also looks like the parts fiche indicates that the low-tone horn is on the driver's side.

I don't know about Subaru's and Outbacks specifically, but typically there are two different methods that I've seen horns use. The first is a single spade connector on the OEM horn that carries the positive voltage, and then it grounds through the vehicle body (this looks to be what the Grimspeed harness is set up for). The other is a two-pin connector, usually something like a metripack or something similar. If this is what's on the car, your best bet if you want to avoid cutting is to purchase a matching plug, and make your own harness.

If you can provide a picture of the connectors on the horn, I may be able to identify the connector and give you a course of action; I'm at work and don't have my car with me. From some online parts photos, it looks like they may be a single spade terminal connector, but sometimes they use a generic photo.

Finally, what PDF are you looking at?

1 Lucky Texan and SmokeyBear like this.
post #3 of 49 (permalink) Old 09-06-2018, 12:58 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Step 5 on this pdf What would this 'resistor' be that could get hot? The connector on the driver side is not the spade connector but some block sort.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 4. Horn.pdf (451.9 KB, 91 views)

2019 Subaru Outback Touring 3.6R - Crystal White - Threw the Accessories book at it...
post #4 of 49 (permalink) Old 09-10-2018, 07:10 AM

Car: '16 Outback 2.5i Limited - Eyesight
Send a message via MSN to KYBubblehead
I took off the bumper cover and replaced both horns with the same kind (Hella Sharptone). As they are used infrequently, I don't ever see there being a heat problem. A very easy switch; certainly louder than the wimpy factory horns...

FTCS(SS) USN Ret.
'16 Outback 2.5i Limited w/Eyesight
'06 GL1800 Gold Wing Motor Trike w/2008 Lees-ure Lite
'18 Honda Civic Hatch Sport Touring
post #5 of 49 (permalink) Old 09-10-2018, 09:52 AM

Car: 2018 Outback Limited 2.5i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Hufnagel View Post
Step 5 on this pdf What would this 'resistor' be that could get hot? The connector on the driver side is not the spade connector but some block sort.
OK, so the manual does show a different connector on the driver's side, but it looks like it's still a single-terminal connector, so you may be able to get a spade connector in there and hooked up to it. I'm guessing it may just be because they run a jumper wire from that connector over to the passenger side, so they needed a different connector to be able to have two wires connect to the same terminal.

I'm guessing that the resistor is the rectangular device mounted slightly up and left of the horn on the driver's side. The drawing makes it look like it has cooling fins, which would make sense for a resistor. It doesn't look like it has anything to do with the horn, to me (as it has a multi-terminal connector on it). It's most likely associated with sinking power for some other system on the car, and they just put it up there where it can get some air-flow to help cool it off. I wouldn't worry about it at all, beyond just trying not to touch it if you have had the car running recently.

If you're mounting your horns together, you can always use the "high" horn connector to get your positive power for both horns. If you're keeping them in the stock locations, then you'll need to have a look at the connector on the "low" side and see what you can do to get a terminal on it. My guess is that you should still be able to hook it onto a spade terminal on the new horn, or make up a small jumper wire with a female spade on both ends... one end goes in the connector, the other on the horn, if the extra bulk of the connector would make it too difficult to get a connector on the ground terminal. Either way, I don't think you're going to have much difficulty...
post #6 of 49 (permalink) Old 09-10-2018, 10:40 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by abbarach View Post
OK, so the manual does show a different connector on the driver's side, but it looks like it's still a single-terminal connector, so you may be able to get a spade connector in there and hooked up to it. I'm guessing it may just be because they run a jumper wire from that connector over to the passenger side, so they needed a different connector to be able to have two wires connect to the same terminal.

I'm guessing that the resistor is the rectangular device mounted slightly up and left of the horn on the driver's side. The drawing makes it look like it has cooling fins, which would make sense for a resistor. It doesn't look like it has anything to do with the horn, to me (as it has a multi-terminal connector on it). It's most likely associated with sinking power for some other system on the car, and they just put it up there where it can get some air-flow to help cool it off. I wouldn't worry about it at all, beyond just trying not to touch it if you have had the car running recently.

If you're mounting your horns together, you can always use the "high" horn connector to get your positive power for both horns. If you're keeping them in the stock locations, then you'll need to have a look at the connector on the "low" side and see what you can do to get a terminal on it. My guess is that you should still be able to hook it onto a spade terminal on the new horn, or make up a small jumper wire with a female spade on both ends... one end goes in the connector, the other on the horn, if the extra bulk of the connector would make it too difficult to get a connector on the ground terminal. Either way, I don't think you're going to have much difficulty...
I plan on checking these locations out tomorrow evening if I can get the chance. I do plan on leaving them in the stock locations.

post #7 of 49 (permalink) Old 09-10-2018, 10:41 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by abbarach View Post
First off, polarity for horns doesn't matter, so you can hook it up either way around.

Second, I checked an online parts fiche, and it appears that Subaru used the same low tone horn since basically forever, and the same high-tone horn from 2015-current. It also looks like the parts fiche indicates that the low-tone horn is on the driver's side.

I don't know about Subaru's and Outbacks specifically, but typically there are two different methods that I've seen horns use. The first is a single spade connector on the OEM horn that carries the positive voltage, and then it grounds through the vehicle body (this looks to be what the Grimspeed harness is set up for). The other is a two-pin connector, usually something like a metripack or something similar. If this is what's on the car, your best bet if you want to avoid cutting is to purchase a matching plug, and make your own harness.

If you can provide a picture of the connectors on the horn, I may be able to identify the connector and give you a course of action; I'm at work and don't have my car with me. From some online parts photos, it looks like they may be a single spade terminal connector, but sometimes they use a generic photo.

Finally, what PDF are you looking at?
I'll try to get pics in the next day or so, and would welcome your thoughts. thanks

post #8 of 49 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 03:08 PM

Did you ever get your horns installed? Or pictures of the OEM horn harness...spade or 2 pin?
post #9 of 49 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 03:54 PM
Super Moderator

Car: '17 3.6 Limited
If you can wait a bit I just won a set of these and guess I'll make an install video specific to the Outback.
OBnube, Gage, AvidHiker and 4 others like this.
post #10 of 49 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 03:57 PM

Car: 19 Outback 3.6r Touring, 12 Forester X, 09 G8 GXP, 08 BMW 535xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucey View Post
If you can wait a bit I just won a set of these and guess I'll make an install video specific to the Outback.
Real MVP !
Cant’ wait !

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: