My 16 Outback burned on the side of the road ! - Page 4 - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums
 122Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #31 of 107 (permalink) Old 09-21-2018, 04:41 PM

Car: 2015 Outback LTD 2.5
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Well, nice to see that the OP did get back online and posted some more info. I still think that it's mere conjecture that the manufacturer is at fault.

The insurance did what it's supposed to do.....and if SOA picks up the deductible, then all is as good as it can be, the scary experience aside.

They may never find out what happened......maybe drove over some sharp road debris, maybe overheated while driving uphill, who knows?

The important thing is that the Op and his passengers got out w/o injury......

Good luck with the new car, whatever it is.

Steve

BOXR 6 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 107 (permalink) Old 09-21-2018, 04:46 PM

Car: 2015 Legacy Premium 2.5 CVT w/EyeSight+SRVD ... 2016 Outback Premium 2.5 CVT w/EyeSight+SRVD
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlsstl View Post
Forensic investigations can take a long time.
Twenty years ago my home was struck by lightning (in January) and burned nearly to the ground. The house and its contents were totally destroyed, and even though we were adequately insured, it was still a policy-limits loss. Though there was never much doubt, there were three separate, independent cause-and-origins investigations conducted: by the county sheriff, by the district fire marshal, and by the insurance company. All reached the same conclusion. The insurance company's expert was brought in from more than a hundred miles away, and he impressed me as highly competent. He knew exactly what artifacts he was looking for, and it took him less than five minutes on-site to find them and reach his final determination.

phgunr likes this.

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there." ~ The Cheshire Cat (Alice in Wonderland)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #33 of 107 (permalink) Old 09-21-2018, 04:48 PM
Super Moderator

Car: 2002 Pair: 3.0 VDC Wag & 2.5 Limited Sedan
people please be polite.

this is a interesting pic. see how the hatch burned away.

but the pink an blue pajamas ? made of fire resistant fabric did not. ...may cause cancer to the wearer, but did not burn.

phgunr likes this.

? Want people to stop needing to ask what exact car you have? year -model -engine -trans, scroll down to "your car":
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Found a Subaru Vin Decoder (also works on many manufactures):

If you feel Sofa King intolerant to the ideas expressed by others:
post #34 of 107 (permalink) Old 09-21-2018, 05:29 PM

Car: Lawn ornament XT
Quote:
Originally Posted by jofarman View Post
In the meantime I don't have a vehicle to drive.
I'm pretty sure I pay an extra $8 a year to get rental car reimbursement on my auto policy. I don't know if that's available everywhere, maybe talk to your agent about that if you think you might ever be caught between cars again.
phgunr likes this.
post #35 of 107 (permalink) Old 09-21-2018, 05:47 PM
Rub

Car: 2016 3.6 Limited with ES
Dean Wormer says it's over.
post #36 of 107 (permalink) Old 09-21-2018, 06:01 PM
Super Moderator

Car: '17 3.6 Limited
Man, tough crowd.

@jofarman We're a board of enthusiasts and aren't associated with Subaru. Most of the users here aren't even under a vehicle warranty.

I know it's a huge head ache you're going through right now as I've been there myself but the important thing is none of you were injured. It's just a car and it can be replaced pretty easily.

I would like more info and ask for you to keep us updated on the situation. You're the first fire I'm aware of on a Gen 5 and the first from an unmodified Subaru I have known of in a long time.

All the best.
post #37 of 107 (permalink) Old 09-21-2018, 06:02 PM

Car: Lawn ornament XT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rub View Post
Dean Wormer says it's over.
Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?
BOXR 6 and Fillmore like this.
post #38 of 107 (permalink) Old 09-21-2018, 06:07 PM

Car: 2005 Outback Wagon 3.0 L.L. Bean
Garage
Make the best of a bad situation....
Brad99, vip00 and Dantrax like this.

RIP 96 Legacy 2.2 Thanks for 380,000 miles. (4EAT lost reverse)
post #39 of 107 (permalink) Old 09-21-2018, 06:16 PM
Rub

Car: 2016 3.6 Limited with ES
Quote:
Originally Posted by eagleeye View Post
people please be polite.

OK, fine.

On the bright side, if he ever wanted to put on the Touring rails he won't have a hard time with the headliner.
post #40 of 107 (permalink) Old 09-21-2018, 10:00 PM

Car: 2015 Outback Limited w/ES, Wilderness Green
Quote:
Originally Posted by ammcinnis View Post
Twenty years ago my home was struck by lightning (in January) and burned nearly to the ground. The house and its contents were totally destroyed, and even though we were adequately insured, it was still a policy-limits loss. Though there was never much doubt, there were three separate, independent cause-and-origins investigations conducted: by the county sheriff, by the district fire marshal, and by the insurance company. All reached the same conclusion. The insurance company's expert was brought in from more than a hundred miles away, and he impressed me as highly competent. He knew exactly what artifacts he was looking for, and it took him less than five minutes on-site to find them and reach his final determination.
You'll note that I said that forensic investigations "can" take a long time, not that they "will".

I used to handle the insurance for the International Association of Arson Investigators. They had some great stories. Sometimes the evidence is right there waiting for them. Other times -- say analyzing parts for pre-existing stress fractures or material defects -- can take a lot of lab work and be a painfully slow process if there are a lot of parts to examine. For a car fire and the relatively low dollar cost of even a total loss, they may not even perform the tests, especially if no bodily injury is involved. Just no cost-benefit for the insurance company.

One has to be careful about taking one's personal experience and extrapolating it to all other situations.

jsgntulok, BillE507 and SubieGrl like this.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: