My 16 Outback burned on the side of the road ! - Page 5 - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums
 122Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #41 of 107 (permalink) Old 09-22-2018, 12:03 AM

Car: '03 outback limited, '01 Outback Limited, '01 Legacy L wagon, '96 Legacy Brighton wagon
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
This is a good reminder as to why it is prudent to carry a small fire extinguisher in your car.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 107 (permalink) Old 09-22-2018, 01:29 AM

Car: 2015 Legacy Premium 2.5 CVT w/EyeSight+SRVD ... 2016 Outback Premium 2.5 CVT w/EyeSight+SRVD
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlsstl View Post
One has to be careful about taking one's personal experience and extrapolating it to all other situations.
Sorry, it wasn't my intent to trivialize forensic investigations. In our case, I'm sure the insurance company's investigator (whose name you probably would recognize, given your location) had done a lot of background grunt work before he ever showed up on-site ... including pro-forma criminal and financial background checks.

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there." ~ The Cheshire Cat (Alice in Wonderland)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #43 of 107 (permalink) Old 09-22-2018, 02:00 AM

Car: 2008 OB Limited 2.5i
Quote:
Originally Posted by eagleeye View Post
people please be polite.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucey View Post
Man, tough crowd.
To be clear: I am entirely sympathetic to the situation the OP finds himself in: no car, loss of some belongings, apparently no rental car coverage once he was paid off, lots of hassles filing claims, etc. I myself almost lost my 2008 while it was parked at a trail head that burned over while we were out mountain climbing, and in fact in trying to pack out and avoid the fire we got in a bad place and had to run away with full overnight packs so as not to be overcome by the moving fire front. I can tell you that it is a very scary, emotional, adrenaline rush sort of thing when you believe there's a good chance you might not come out alive in a situation and just have to do what you have to do.

What I object to, and I think many here do also, is the title of the post and the tone of the original report that the OP believes he is somehow owed much more, and the demand for blood from SOA. The three significant points that most posters have made regarding this are:

(1) he wasn't injured, nor was his family,

(2) he's already been made whole, and

(3) if there's anyone who has a dog in this fight, it's not him, it's the insurer(s) who paid the claim, retired the loan, and compensated for the loan's gap coverage - should they wish to do so.

I think this forum might have an interest in learning of any systemic issues existing with this Gen 5 model series that may have contributed, should there be something really going on here. And the NHTSA website provides a sober, methodical way to report any such findings from their investigation. But I don't think there are any issues; we're now into the fourth year of this series, and the sales numbers are significant relative to this one incident that I'm now aware of. We certainly would have already heard about it if there were.

It was just an unfortunate, isolated incident. And that's all.
post #44 of 107 (permalink) Old 09-22-2018, 07:03 AM

Car: 2016 Outback Limited Titanium
Send a message via Skype™ to SWKohnle08
To the OP, I am sorry to hear what you must be going through. It is upsetting. But at least you are all safe and unharmed. Itís unfortunate but car fires do happen. In the late 1970ís I was driving my first car, and came upon a VW micro bus with the backend in flames on the side of the road. Sitting in the drivers seat was an older woman who was clearly upset and trying to restart her bus. I ran up and told her that she needs to get out. She insisted that she must get it started and drive it home as her husband would be mad as this is his favorite car. I had to literally grab her arm and drag her out as she was so distraught. By the time police and fire arrived, the VW was totally engulfed. At the time, I didnít carry a fire extinguisher as the most important tool for me was a bottle opener. So no matter what causes car fires, it is upsetting when one happens. Iím sorry for your loss.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Lowell_Greenberg likes this.
post #45 of 107 (permalink) Old 09-22-2018, 09:07 AM
Super Moderator

Car: 2002 Pair: 3.0 VDC Wag & 2.5 Limited Sedan
updated / simplified thread title.

from

"2016 Outback FIRE caused by Powertrain failure! Subaru is doing nothing!'

? Want people to stop needing to ask what exact car you have? year -model -engine -trans, scroll down to "your car":
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Found a Subaru Vin Decoder (also works on many manufactures):

If you feel Sofa King intolerant to the ideas expressed by others:
post #46 of 107 (permalink) Old 09-22-2018, 10:29 AM
Super Moderator

Car: '17 3.6 Limited
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnre View Post
To be clear: I am entirely sympathetic to the situation the OP finds himself in: no car, loss of some belongings, apparently no rental car coverage once he was paid off, lots of hassles filing claims, etc. I myself almost lost my 2008 while it was parked at a trail head that burned over while we were out mountain climbing, and in fact in trying to pack out and avoid the fire we got in a bad place and had to run away with full overnight packs so as not to be overcome by the moving fire front. I can tell you that it is a very scary, emotional, adrenaline rush sort of thing when you believe there's a good chance you might not come out alive in a situation and just have to do what you have to do.

What I object to, and I think many here do also, is the title of the post and the tone of the original report that the OP believes he is somehow owed much more, and the demand for blood from SOA. The three significant points that most posters have made regarding this are:

(1) he wasn't injured, nor was his family,

(2) he's already been made whole, and

(3) if there's anyone who has a dog in this fight, it's not him, it's the insurer(s) who paid the claim, retired the loan, and compensated for the loan's gap coverage - should they wish to do so.

I think this forum might have an interest in learning of any systemic issues existing with this Gen 5 model series that may have contributed, should there be something really going on here. And the NHTSA website provides a sober, methodical way to report any such findings from their investigation. But I don't think there are any issues; we're now into the fourth year of this series, and the sales numbers are significant relative to this one incident that I'm now aware of. We certainly would have already heard about it if there were.

It was just an unfortunate, isolated incident. And that's all.
I don't disagree with anything you said.
post #47 of 107 (permalink) Old 09-22-2018, 02:10 PM

Car: 2017 2.5i Premium Lapis Blue
Clearly this is just a case of expectations being too high. This must have been a 2.5i Outback and everyone knows you can't expect to pass a semi tractor trailer at highway speeds and get all the way by without it catching on fire.
cgmkcm, Dantrax and airbi like this.
post #48 of 107 (permalink) Old 09-22-2018, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danver View Post
Clearly this is just a case of expectations being too high. This must have been a 2.5i Outback and everyone knows you can't expect to pass a semi tractor trailer at highway speeds and get all the way by without it catching on fire.
LOL, I want to hear what warranty coverage the OP is expecting from a vehicle that is no longer his, unless of course he is an advocate for the insurance company that now owns the car.

"Another Brick In The Wall", PF 1979
"Happiness Is A Warm Gun", Beatles 1968
"The Rubber Banned Man",Spinners 1976
2011 SS Camaro
1984 Corvette
post #49 of 107 (permalink) Old 09-22-2018, 04:28 PM

Car: Two 2011 Outback 2.5i(base & Premium), one 2015 Outback 2.5i Premium, one 2016 2.5i Premium
It really is not ever going to be a warranty issue, but to the extent it was caused a defective part failure, more of a defective product/product liability tort claim.
post #50 of 107 (permalink) Old 09-22-2018, 06:18 PM

Car: 2017 Outback 2.5i Ltd.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FSslacker View Post

My guess is that it was garbage or other materials that got stuck in the undercarriage and ignited on the catalytic converter. Or it could be a defective build item or component. That happens all the time regardless of car make.

That could easily damage other components and possibly set a fire. I haven't heard of any other incidents where an Outback has self combusted, so I think it's irresponsible to lay the blame at Subaru's feet this early in the game.

Would I be sad to see my car burn to the ground? Sure, but insurance would pay for it and I'd buy another model of the same car. I certainly wouldn't throw a tantrum and throw the baby out with the bath water. Calm, reason, and logical investigation would be the way to go, rather than incite a flame war and call for a boycott, that's ridiculous.

__

Katsuby likes this.

Bene legere saecla vincere...
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: