2018 2.5 uneven acceleration - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-25-2018, 05:56 PM Thread Starter

Car: 2018 2.5 premium.
Garage
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
2018 2.5 uneven acceleration

After driving Prius's for over ten years I have a very light foot on acceleration. My car has a surging, hesitation taking off from a stop till about 25mph. It is very un-even and seems to be getting worse. Brought it in after 8 months and 2k miles of driving for its first oil change and checkup. That was my only complaint. The dealer stated tech drove the car and felt nothing and no codes were found and no updates. Anyone else have this issue??

Fun Fun Fun till Daddy takes the Tbird away
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-25-2018, 06:14 PM

Car: Sometime in December 2019 Crimson 3.6R Limited 2010 Murano SL, 2008 Mazda MX5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbirdhs View Post
After driving Prius's for over ten years I have a very light foot on acceleration. My car has a surging, hesitation taking off from a stop till about 25mph. It is very un-even and seems to be getting worse. Brought it in after 8 months and 2k miles of driving for its first oil change and checkup. That was my only complaint. The dealer stated tech drove the car and felt nothing and no codes were found and no updates. Anyone else have this issue??
Recently test drove the 19 2.5 and had this same feeling - there are threads dealing with this on the site. some answers and some uncertainty. Made up my mind on a different engine.

post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-25-2018, 06:18 PM

I have been seeing the VERY SAME complaint over in the IMPREZA5 forums. The surging seems to be more prevalent just after starting cold engine.
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-26-2018, 12:00 AM

Car: 2017 Outback 3.6R Limited
That's just the way the CVT is programmed. You can make acceleration more smooth by pressing the "X-mode" button, unfortunately this mode only meant to work at slow speeds.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-26-2018, 06:21 AM

My 18’ 3.6 does it as well.
It’s been to the dealer once. They said no problem found, no updates. I’m almost at 5k miles. I told the dealer I’d drive it till 5k to try and have the trans learn. But it seems to be no change so far. My wife drives it so I don’t get to feel it every day. Doesn’t seem to bother her. 🤔
It’s really bad when cold. When warmed up it happens a lot but not every time. I’ve used manual mode several times and it seems to not happen at all. I’ve come to the conclusion it is the torque converter and an early 1-2 “shift” that causes it.
1-2 fake shift happens at 10-12mph, that’s right when it starts. Then probably again on the 2-3 shift at 20 mph.
I’ll probably take it in again soon and have them reset the trans to relearn, and check for updates.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-26-2018, 06:46 AM

Car: 2015 Legacy 3.6R ES, 2014 Forester Touring ES, 2005 Jeep Liberty Limited
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmobuell View Post
My 18í 3.6 does it as well.
Itís been to the dealer once. They said no problem found, no updates. Iím almost at 5k miles. I told the dealer Iíd drive it till 5k to try and have the trans learn. But it seems to be no change so far. My wife drives it so I donít get to feel it every day. Doesnít seem to bother her.
Itís really bad when cold. When warmed up it happens a lot but not every time. Iíve used manual mode several times and it seems to not happen at all. Iíve come to the conclusion it is the torque converter and an early 1-2 ďshiftĒ that causes it.
1-2 fake shift happens at 10-12mph, thatís right when it starts. Then probably again on the 2-3 shift at 20 mph.
Iíll probably take it in again soon and have them reset the trans to relearn, and check for updates.

When at a dead stop, just let off the brake and give it a moment 1/2 second to roll then ease on the gas this will eliminate this issue. Since you do not drive it all the time you haven't learn the car's idiosyncrasies.

It does take getting use to but once accustomed to it's behavior all is good. The 2.5i is more pronounce than 3.6 especially if it not at operating temperature.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Laughing at oneself and with others is good for the soul.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-26-2018, 07:26 AM

I’ll try that ....thx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoda_One View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmobuell View Post
My 18’ 3.6 does it as well.
It’s been to the dealer once. They said no problem found, no updates. I’m almost at 5k miles. I told the dealer I’d drive it till 5k to try and have the trans learn. But it seems to be no change so far. My wife drives it so I don’t get to feel it every day. Doesn’t seem to bother her.
It’s really bad when cold. When warmed up it happens a lot but not every time. I’ve used manual mode several times and it seems to not happen at all. I’ve come to the conclusion it is the torque converter and an early 1-2 “shift” that causes it.
1-2 fake shift happens at 10-12mph, that’s right when it starts. Then probably again on the 2-3 shift at 20 mph.
I’ll probably take it in again soon and have them reset the trans to relearn, and check for updates.

When at a dead stop, just let off the brake and give it a moment 1/2 second to roll then ease on the gas this will eliminate this issue. Since you do not drive it all the time you haven't learn the car's idiosyncrasies.

It does take getting use to but once accustomed to it's behavior all is good. The 2.5i is more pronounce than 3.6 especially if it not at operating temperature.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-26-2018, 07:50 AM

Car: 2016 WRX, 2017 BRZ, 2017 Legacy
My 2017 2.5i Legacy does it too, but oh so slightly that it's almost unnoticeable. I've chalked it up to the CVT, and have noticed it on other brand's CVT's as well (I rent cars a lot).

But now that I think about it, it could be the ultra-lean EPA fuel trims. Our 2005 OBXTMT did it a little too until we reflashed the ECU with an AP, which improved it. Same thing with my Ninja 1000 ... reflashed the ECU and the problem went away.

Hm. That's not likely going to be something Subaru is going to fix ... when out 2005 OBXT was doing it @ 30k, it took three trips to the dealer to get them to acknowledge it was doing it. Then they spent three days trying to figure it out before telling me "they all do that and it's just the way it is". Now, with 175k and post-burnt-valves, and a stage 1 tune, it still does it a little.

Maybe I need to look at as "just a Subaru thing", like the ill-fitting body panels and drunken-monkey-head-unit design.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-26-2018, 09:35 AM
p12

Car: 2018 2.5i Premium - No Eyesight (and proud of it)
Between 2000 and 2300 rpm during slow acceleration, I feel a very slight amount of surging sort of like the transmission is trying to decide what to do.

If I keep it under 2000 rpm slow acceleration it is very smooth.
Above 2300 rpm slow to moderate acceleration it is smooth and responsive.

Hard acceleration above 2500rpm the CVT acts like a regular transmission with discernible positive shifts.

I'm beginning to think this is just the way the CVT is designed.

Last edited by p12; 09-26-2018 at 09:36 AM. Reason: typo fix
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-26-2018, 07:04 PM

Car: '15 OB 3.6 Limited - Tungsten Metallic
owned two '15 3.6's and recently drove a '19 2.5 for an extended period. all have the uneven acceleration you mentioned. had a '19 Crosstek for an extended period and wow this powertrain was actually enjoyable. I'm not sure if its due to a new CVT or just a weaker engine/CVT pairing on the Crosstek but I would recommend that car over an outback until the '20 is introduced... even with the smaller size just put a roof rack/box on it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: