Installing a Winch on Gen 5 - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums
 8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 1.00 average.
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-22-2018, 11:06 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Car: '17 3.6 Limited
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Installing a Winch on Gen 5

Now for something completely different.

I bought a winch and winch bumper and installed on the Gen 5. Terra 45 with synthetic line. Rated at 4500 lbs. The entire set up replaces the factory bumper beam and adds about 30 lbs.

I'm not sure I would have bought it new. I'm sure there are better uses of my money; Car related or not. For what I have in the set up I think it's worth it.

As it stands now it's all done. Wiring and the control harness.

I might pick up a second controller to install on the bumper after all. Not sure. I'm going to have to see a real world need for it before I do that but I'm not against it either.

The only real hiccup I have is I expected the winches face plate to protrude or be flush with the bumper. However, it was not. It was actually recessed. So I only cut the opening enough for the line to feed through plus an extra 1/4" or so. I might add a trim piece over it to give it a finished look or I might look into a faux/flip up license plate bracket so that it's completely hidden.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-22-2018, 11:12 AM
Super Moderator

Car: 2002 Pair: 3.0 VDC Wag & 2.5 Limited Sedan
I would definitely add something to the bumper to protect the painted finish.

with my come-along I keep some old bicycle tire tubes and vinyl garden hose sliced open to protect things from the cable. (like painted car parts or nice trees)
@bradze would be proud, as it came out of his 2011 wagonqueen family truckster.

and side by sides are wimpy for hauling fat amuricans up grade. ...a subaru is not.

? Want people to stop needing to ask what exact car you have? year -model -engine -trans, scroll down to "your car":
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Found a Subaru Vin Decoder (also works on many manufactures):
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

If you feel Sofa King intolerant to the ideas expressed by others:
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-22-2018, 11:13 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by eagleeye View Post
I would definitely add something to the bumper to protect the painted finish.

with my come-along I keep some old bicycle tire tubes and vinyl garden hose sliced open to protect things from the cable. (like painted car parts or nice trees)
Yea, I was thinking like a U shaped rubber trim piece that goes around the opening. Then looking into false license plate brackets too.
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-22-2018, 11:27 AM
Super Moderator

Car: 2002 Pair: 3.0 VDC Wag & 2.5 Limited Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucey View Post
Yea, I was thinking like a U shaped rubber trim piece that goes around the opening. Then looking into false license plate brackets too.
on a NYC car I saw a large rubber protector to stop cars from catching the license plate on a bumper.
(all the cars on the street there have bras and rubber panties as people rub and push cars all the time when parking).

I would think you would be looking for some slippery plastic or rubber though, so the cable does not create friction and damage the item or grab at it.
maybe spraying it with silicone would help before winch use.

? Want people to stop needing to ask what exact car you have? year -model -engine -trans, scroll down to "your car":

Found a Subaru Vin Decoder (also works on many manufactures):

If you feel Sofa King intolerant to the ideas expressed by others:
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-22-2018, 12:51 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by eagleeye View Post
on a NYC car I saw a large rubber protector to stop cars from catching the license plate on a bumper.
(all the cars on the street there have bras and rubber panties as people rub and push cars all the time when parking).

I would think you would be looking for some slippery plastic or rubber though, so the cable does not create friction and damage the item or grab at it.
maybe spraying it with silicone would help before winch use.
I saw something like this when I was in Manhattan earlier this year. It's a bumper in front of the bumper.

We don't require front license plates in WV so I was thinking more something like this.

It would look like it has a front license plate holder but isn't in use.

Not sure I'll go that far or not.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-22-2018, 07:28 PM

Car: 2019 Outback 3.6R Limited Magnelite Grey and loaded; '98 Legacy Outback Limited MT-53,150 miles!
I wouldn't use rubber or other soft material to try to protect the paint from a winch's cable or line because the tensioned cable/line would likely cut through the protection-er. Instead a replaceable aluminum piece attached to the car and with it's oblong hole smaller than the corresponding hole through the bumper or bodywork.

I THINK that the piece I'm talking about is called a 'fairing' but honestly, the name of it escapes me just now.

The piece is aftermarket made for winch users and are available in most any 4x4, off-road, or adventure oriented outlet.... mostly they're just bigger.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-22-2018, 08:02 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hill View Post
I wouldn't use rubber or other soft material to try to protect the paint from a winch's cable or line because the tensioned cable/line would likely cut through the protection-er. Instead a replaceable aluminum piece attached to the car and with it's oblong hole smaller than the corresponding hole through the bumper or bodywork.

I THINK that the piece I'm talking about is called a 'fairing' but honestly, the name of it escapes me just now.

The piece is aftermarket made for winch users and are available in most any 4x4, off-road, or adventure oriented outlet.... mostly they're just bigger.
Fairlead. I have one installed. The problem is it's currently completely recessed behind the skin of the bumper.

I expected it to protrude or be flush so this creates a minor issue I'm trying to account for.

I cut the opening wide enough for it to be used and even added some extra width for some extreme angles.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-24-2018, 10:52 AM

Car: 2016 Outback 3.6r Limited
Wow, nice ! You need a prerunner style bumper next
Brucey likes this.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-25-2018, 01:31 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by vhercules View Post
Wow, nice ! You need a prerunner style bumper next
I've thought about ways to get a better approach angle out of the bumper but not an all out steel bumper.

Just don't think it would work with what I would want.

I keep coming back to chopping the lower half, removing a section, and putting it back on. Essentially closing up the lower opening.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-26-2018, 09:37 AM

Car: 2016 Outback 3.6r Limited
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucey View Post
I've thought about ways to get a better approach angle out of the bumper but not an all out steel bumper.

Just don't think it would work with what I would want.

I keep coming back to chopping the lower half, removing a section, and putting it back on. Essentially closing up the lower opening.
True ! Cutting off a part of the lower half of the bumper would be a good functional approach to get a better approach angle. On our cars a the added weight of steel bumper would be an over kill.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: