Progressive Insurance SnapShot Device - Page 2 - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums
 15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 1.00 average.
post #11 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-11-2018, 03:16 PM

Car: 2019 Outback 3.6R Limited Magnelite Grey and loaded; '98 Legacy Outback Limited MT-53,150 miles!
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acemaster 4 View Post
What's the benefit vs gain while using this invasion of privacy device? How much are you saving in $. Sometime I drive in a "spirited" manner. Often I leave my seatbelt off when driving down my driveway. I'm guessing the peanuts you may save isn't worth it. Some people like the kool-aid though.
Yes, you're guessing, but if you would read instead you may notice the post above concerning the Allstate version of observation returning a 20% discount to the poster.

Now I'M guessing that you would consider 20% off a whole bunch of peanuts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-11-2018, 03:31 PM

Car: 05 OBXT & 16 Crosstrek
Never used one of the devices. While I would consider myself a good/safe driver and my record will show that, I do drive in a spirited way several times a week. I also drive 2 lane roads every day, and have had to brake for deer 3x in the last week. I figure, it's not worth it for me to have one. Granted, reading this I might give it a shot and plug it into the car there been sitting in the garage 5 days a week

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

post #13 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-11-2018, 03:34 PM

Car: 85BRAT97SVX03Baja5mtHonda's
wouldnt a background into your accident report provide better info to the insurance scammers?

85BRAT 97SVX, 2x91 Honda CRX, 91 RT4wd
03Baja
post #14 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-11-2018, 03:35 PM

Car: 2019 Subaru Outback Limited 3.6R; 2016 VW Jetta SEL 1.8T; 2002 VW Passat GLX V6 4Motion
We signed up for Progressive SnapShot after Esurance tried to jack our rate by 25% in 2017. We used the snapshot devices in both our 2016 Jetta and 2016 Mazda CX-5. My husband and I both have lead feet, but he works from home, so he doesn't rack up many miles. After using the devices for 90 days, we sent them back, Progressive analyzed them, and it got our monthly rate down to $180 vs the $280 we were paying Esurance before they raised our rates. I'd say the $1,200 in annual savings was definitely worth it to us.

- Jeremy.
post #15 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-11-2018, 03:36 PM

Car: 2017 Outback Limited 2.5, Twilight Blue/Ivory, Eyesight. Also 1995 BMW 525i with 240,000 miles
Garage
Slightly off the subject but I use State farm's Drive safe and save sensor, NOT using the OBD port. The sensor is placed anywhere in the car and apparently uses your phone in some way to send info to state farm. Also not punitive as it only discounts. I currently save about $40 per car each renewal period. No impact on car function. You do need to report vehicle mileage periodically.

Thank you
Russell Casey, 2017 Outback Limited 2.5, Twilight Blue/Ivory with Eyesight. Build date: 7/19/16. Purchased 8/5/16 in USA. Currently about 22,000 miles.
Added LED backup, cargo, door courtesy lights and Lamin-X yellow film on LED fog lights. Nushield Dayvue antiglare screen, Soundproofed front/rear doors, floorboard, cargo floor, tailgate, cowl area & all wheel wells. 7/70 zero gold warranty

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #16 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-11-2018, 08:51 PM

Car: 2018 Outback 3.6R Limited
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hill View Post
Yes, you're guessing, but if you would read instead you may notice the post above concerning the Allstate version of observation returning a 20% discount to the poster.

Now I'M guessing that you would consider 20% off a whole bunch of peanuts.
You're right I was guessing and yes I did miss the other allstate post. Bad habit of mine to jump in at last page of a topic, that what I do often.
Yes 20% is 20%. But it's all relative, right? Another post below mentioned saving $1200 per year and that would get my attention, sure.
But many of you seem to be paying much more than me for insurance. We use Erie, been with them for at least 30 yrs and heck we pay something like $1300, might be less, per year for three vehicles. Progressive won't beat that rate by 2% let alone 20% in my case even if I drive like the perfect model they seek. I'm more apt to get screwed by them. To each their own, good luck to all.
post #17 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-11-2018, 09:39 PM

Car: 2015 Outback Limited w/ES, Wilderness Green
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dantrax View Post
...I'm thinking of trying this feature to reduce my premium since Progressive raised my rate $103 after 6 months with NO changes to my policy. I guess Progressive wants someone else to pay for all the storm & hurricane claims.
I've been in the insurance business for 40+ years (on the commercial side, not personal lines), but will throw out the observation that almost all insurance companies are losing their behind on auto insurance these days, and this has been the trend for several years now.

Remember the whole point of insurance is to share the risk of unexpected losses, so rates will tend to go up for even those who don't have losses if the current rate structure doesn't pay for the claims being reported.

My own rates have been creeping up (though I haven't had a 20% hike yet) and I've got access to some pretty good people who handle my personal coverage. That said, it still pays to shop around yourself or have your broker do it.
ammcinnis likes this.
post #18 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-12-2018, 06:31 AM

Car: 2015 Outback 2.5i Limited, Ice Silver/Black
Garage
Jeez, I only pay about $1500/year total for my Subaru, RX7, and $300K house with Kemper... Full coverage, too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlsstl View Post
Remember the whole point of insurance is to share the risk of unexpected losses, so rates will tend to go up for even those who don't have losses if the current rate structure doesn't pay for the claims being reported.
What a concept. You should explain that to Republicans...

2015 Outback 2.5i Limited FDF/PP4 - no nav, no moonroof, no keyless, no Eyesight
Parts left out cost nothing and create no service problems - Bunkie Knudsen
It's love that makes a Subaru, not necessarily a logical user experience.
post #19 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-12-2018, 09:53 AM
Super Moderator

Car: '17 3.6 Limited
If you like your insurance plan, you can keep it.

But I would honestly shop around instead of playing games like this with them.

I recently shopped around and got a quote that was $900 cheaper per 6 month premium for our 3 cars/home compared to what we were paying.

This is for the same coverage, same limits, same people, same vehicles, etc.

It worked out to just under 1800 a year cheaper.
post #20 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-12-2018, 10:01 AM
Super Moderator

Car: 2002 Pair: 3.0 VDC Wag & 2.5 Limited Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucey View Post
If you like your insurance plan, you can keep it.

But I would honestly shop around instead of playing games like this with them.

I recently shopped around and got a quote that was $900 cheaper per 6 month premium for our 3 cars/home compared to what we were paying.

This is for the same coverage, same limits, same people, same vehicles, etc.

It worked out to just under 1800 a year cheaper.
make sure to "ASK" about miles limits based on how much you actually use each of them. (in my case I might save 20% per car on some lines).

? Want people to stop needing to ask what exact car you have? year -model -engine -trans, scroll down to "your car":
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Found a Subaru Vin Decoder (also works on many manufactures):

If you feel Sofa King intolerant to the ideas expressed by others:

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: