Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: New Jersey
Car: 2017 OB 3.6R Ltd/2018 Forester Premium Blk Ed/2011 Legacy Ltd
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Wanted to share my experience with an after market RS.
I had been debating about getting a RS for my 2017 OB 3.6R and I was leaning towards the OEM unit which my local dealer has been advertising as a special for $499 installed.
But I was swayed by the Compustar CS4905-KIT which was offered for an installed price of $249.99 on Bestbuy.com.
I was intrigued by the long range claim of 3000 ft and a digital 2-way remote which indicates the successful remote starting of your vehicle. I ordered the kit and I went into my local BB to interview the AUTOTECH installer to find out how much experience and my comfort in handing over the car to them. The BB installer informed me that the CS4905 kit is the latest version and it is meant to use a T-Harness during the installation process, this means that if a T-Harness is made for your vehicle - then it is pure plug and play without any splicing of wires. Unfortunately there is no T-Harness for any Subaru; they must be hard-wired meaning that they will splice wires. I felt comfortable enough with the installer that I made an appointment for my installation before the kit arrived. Here in the NE, the RS installs are filling up BBs calendar fast.
I had the kit installed today - they quoted me 3.5 hrs and it was pretty much dead on when they called to tell me that my vehicle was done. Here are the main highlights of the install:
1) The kit came with 2 remote starters fobs - one is 2-way and the other is 1-way - Haven't tested the long range
2) My original keyless fob (push button start) is now recognized as another RS fob -
press lock-unlock-lock within 5 secs and the car will start up - shutdown is the same sequence
3) RS fobs have Lock, Unlock, Tailgate and Start buttons - Tailgate can also be opened/close with these fobs
4) Vehicle stays running even after door is opened - need to have Subaru fob on me and press brake pedal and RS will hand off control to your vehicle
5) I had asked to have the rear defrosted activated with the RS - They programmed it to start and stay on for 15 mins AND being that the system is digital - They chose to activate only at 32 or below.
Quite pleased with the results and savings as well.