Subaru Outback Forums banner

Remote Start-Factory or Viper?

35K views 45 replies 19 participants last post by  Danver 
#1 ·
I saw another thread that involves discussion about remote start but wanted to specifically get a little more insight on recommendation of going with the factory option or the basic version that Viper offers. I got quotes on both and going to the Subaru dealership and getting it done with install is about $1000 the Viper at Best Buy installed is about $315. I have push button start on 2016 Outback 3.6r Limited. I saw some info on the factory version shutting off when you open the door...but aside from that any votes for factory vs aftermarket?

#2 ·
Why a remote start? I always heard that starting your car and then letting it idle for an extended period was hard on a car. Of course, it is not that cold here in KY. Just chilly at times. :) As for your question, you could easily remove the viper, if you sell the car, not sure about Subaru's remote start.

#3 ·
If your going to spend money on RS. Do yourself a favor. Spend the extra money for a higher end DIGITAL unit. The standard range is waaayyyy better than anything OEM can offer.

Our AstroStart AF-RFS2625 will start the car from places never even considered in the past, with our previous analog models. And, it does not shut off when the door is opened.

#5 ·
I recently purchased my first Subaru (2018 Outback) in July. Yesterday, I had the dealership install my OEM remote start for $460 on special. Regular price was quoted as $550. As a first time owner, I was shocked that Subaru does not offer the remote start as part of a standard accessories package, esp on the higher end models. I live in WY and Outbacks are considered AWD adventure wagons for many of us who reside in WY, MT, CO, ID and similar cold weather states. I work at a rural hospital that requires me to take call and leave my warm, cozy bed at all hours of the night in subzero temps, so the remote start is wonderful for defrosting my vehicle and slightly eases the 3am wakeup calls! Now that the snow is flying, I wish I had stepped up into the model that also has the heated steering wheel...I have Raynaud's and the gloves just don't cut it. I'm surprised you were quoted $1000 at the dealership; it seems high, but I will qualify my opinion that my car is a Premium model and is a key start, not a push button.

#8 ·
I have the factory remote start in my '17 and if I was going to do it over I would go with a quality aftermarket remote start. There are aftermarket remote starts that can eliminate the stupidity of shutting the engine off when a door is opened and many have a far better range. And along with the range many can be operated with a phone so you can start the car from anywhere.

But the biggest factor in going with an aftermarket remote start is doing thorough research on the unit itself and maybe more important who is going to install it and make sure it is someone with a lot of experience who knows what they are doing. Preferable someone with Subaru experience. I don't know that I would include Best Buy personally. I've heard a lot of horror stories of remote starters installed and having the wiring harnesses butchered and cobbed together and a lot of electrical problems showing up later.

The factory remote would be somewhat more desirable whenever they start making it operational with Starlink which will probably happen in 2020 for the Outback.

#10 ·
My new OB had remote start pre-installed. The range is decent and it works well but I’d opt for aftermarket if I had to choose. The engine shutting off is just stupid. I’ve yet to have an issue with aftermarket starters so I don’t see a downside.

#11 ·
I have the OEM RS on my 2015 3.6 and while I LOVE it, the range is rather anemic...
If you're like me, and your not worried about ranger, the OEM is best, but...
If your car is parked far away in your living situation, go for aftermarket, and as @Zedhead stated, get the digital.
I have heard that the keyed models use a different OEM RS, and have almost twice the range, weird...
And for everyone calling Subaru stupid, for making their RS systems shut the car off when the door is opened, 100% of all RS systems in cars are required by law to shut the car off when a door is unlocked. Why? Because in many states, it's illegal to leave a car run with the doors unlocked.
Here in Kentucky, it's a $250 fine if they catch your car idling with the doors unlocked.
Think I'm full of BS? CLICK HERE...

#12 ·
The new Subarus that are keyless now continue to run after a door is opened. The requirements are that they need to be the new Global Platform internals as well as the keyless start feature. They also either need to use the existing Starlink Security Plus app or they would need the additional remote start module.

As far as I know the new remote start tech is in the Ascent and 2019 Forester. I'm sure it will be in the 2020 Leg & OB.

The benefit of the RSM is that you don't need an active SL subscription to use it, and you can use the regular fob if you don't want to bring a second long-range fob around with you, with obviously less range.

Personally I'm on the fence. I like to not have to deal with the app subscription, but on the flip side you're getting a ton of features included with Starlink, so it's not like you're ONLY getting Remote Start with it. In fact, SLSP includes: Remote lock/unlock, Remote vehicle locator, Remote horn and lights signaling, Security alarm notification, Destination to vehicle location,
Owner notifications including boundary alert, speed alert, and curfew alert, Remote Engine Start with climate control settings (pushbutton start), Remote climate control, temperature and heated seat setting.

I think new owners can buy a 3 year subscription to Starlink Security Plus for a promotional cost of $75, or 7 years for around $400 - about the same cost of the remote start. But, after that, the Starlink fees cost around $150 per year or $300 for 3 years.

#14 ·
I had the dealer install an auto starter a couple weeks ago on my 2018 Outback 2.5i Limited. My car is a push button start. Only issue with the push button - Subaru built in a safety feature to cut the engine anytime you unlock the car or open the door. So..... no matter what you do - getting into your car will turn it off or set the alarm off (if car is unlocked when you auto start and just pull the door handle to open)when you get in the car. Dealership indicated the after markets will do the same thing... but only going off their word. Also - out the door price from the dealership was $450 after tax. $1,000 is a ripoff.

#15 ·
That makes absolutely no sense in my case (short-range, fob start). How can you claim the car to have been left idling while unlocked when you observe someone walk up, unlock the door, and drive off? The remote start on my OB only operates with the doors locked. Subaru (and other makes, apparently) is still stupid on this one, sorry.

#18 ·
@boomerdt, just looking for yes/no answers to my 2 questions (why do you say you, "touched the door handle"? This is irrelevant if you don't have the fob in your posession.). But since you say the alarm went off, then, obviously, it does in fact allow you to remote start with the doors unlocked. Very strange. I don't see any logic in this, either.

#22 ·
Wanted to share my experience with an after market RS.
I had been debating about getting a RS for my 2017 OB 3.6R and I was leaning towards the OEM unit which my local dealer has been advertising as a special for $499 installed.

But I was swayed by the Compustar CS4905-KIT which was offered for an installed price of $249.99 on Bestbuy.com.
I was intrigued by the long range claim of 3000 ft and a digital 2-way remote which indicates the successful remote starting of your vehicle. I ordered the kit and I went into my local BB to interview the AUTOTECH installer to find out how much experience and my comfort in handing over the car to them. The BB installer informed me that the CS4905 kit is the latest version and it is meant to use a T-Harness during the installation process, this means that if a T-Harness is made for your vehicle - then it is pure plug and play without any splicing of wires. Unfortunately there is no T-Harness for any Subaru; they must be hard-wired meaning that they will splice wires. I felt comfortable enough with the installer that I made an appointment for my installation before the kit arrived. Here in the NE, the RS installs are filling up BBs calendar fast.

I had the kit installed today - they quoted me 3.5 hrs and it was pretty much dead on when they called to tell me that my vehicle was done. Here are the main highlights of the install:
1) The kit came with 2 remote starters fobs - one is 2-way and the other is 1-way - Haven't tested the long range
2) My original keyless fob (push button start) is now recognized as another RS fob -
press lock-unlock-lock within 5 secs and the car will start up - shutdown is the same sequence
3) RS fobs have Lock, Unlock, Tailgate and Start buttons - Tailgate can also be opened/close with these fobs
4) Vehicle stays running even after door is opened - need to have Subaru fob on me and press brake pedal and RS will hand off control to your vehicle
5) I had asked to have the rear defrosted activated with the RS - They programmed it to start and stay on for 15 mins AND being that the system is digital - They chose to activate only at 32 or below.

Quite pleased with the results and savings as well.

#23 ·
Interested in this setup.
How does the RS work after starting?
1- Meaning does it lock the doors if they were unlocked upon Remote starting?

2- When walking up to car with the oem fob does the touch handle unlock the car ?

3- Car stays running ?

4- after entering the car, what is the next step b4 drive off? Pressing the start stop button ?

5- does pressing the brake before pressing the start stop button kill the engine ?

Thx!!

#25 ·
Thx for answering my questions.
A lot of factory RS systems let you in the car, but if u press the brake the car turns off. You must first press the start stop button while the car is running in remote start mode......That’s when it switches to normal run mode. If you press the brake upon entering it turns off.
So with the compustar system, it’s opposite. Press the brake like you would when shifting out of park and it’s ready to go.
Wonder what happens if you press the brake but don’t have the factory fob in the car with you?
Also how far do u think the factory fob will start the car from ?
I hate the idea of having 2 big fobs ......
Lastly it looks like it’s $489 at Best Buy now, not $289

#28 ·
For reference - In our new Titan, you press lock button on the fob and release it. Within a couple of seconds, you press and hold the remote start button on the fob down for @2 to 3 seconds and the truck fires up. With a key fob in close proximity, you can push on the door handle proximity switch and the door opens etc. After getting in, if you only press the push to start button on the truck, it shuts off. However, if you push the brake pedal, then the push to start button on the truck, you can drive off. The BBY installed system described above appears to function reasonably well. I might look into this, but install myself on our 17 OB.

#26 ·
The transfer of control from the Compustar RS system to the vehicle ECU is predicated on the oem factory fob being on you. I believe that I was told that if I pressed on the brake and I don't have the fob the car will shut off.

The range for the factory fob will be exactly the same as what they are currently for you when unlocking the doors/rear gate. No more no less.

Bestbuy has been putting the Compustar system on sale since the middle of October - I originally bought one for $269 to have installed on my wife's 2018 Forester and my local BB did a fantastic job. That is why I bought a 2nd unit for $249 when it went on sale on 11/10. On the Forester install they didn't set the rear defroster to turn on when the car was RS...I made an appt and took it back - They fixed it without any labor charge. Also due to the newer and smarter "brain" of the CS4905 kit - there were no additional parts needed !!

I believe that Bestbuy will be putting the CS4905 kit on sale periodically during the colder season.
If you see it for under $300 - Just Buy it - you can always return it as long as it hasn't been installed !!

#29 · (Edited)
Good Luck if you choose to do the install yourself.

However I don't think it is an easy project - A few obstacles to consider:
1) You need to program the "black box" or brain of the CS4905 kit - I'm not certain if you need special software
2) There is no T-Harness that is made for any Subaru vehicle and as such you must be comfortable with splicing into existing wires. The Tech at BBY told me that the wires are especially tightly wound on Subaru vehicles
3) Not certain if you can buy the CS4905 system other than at BBY

I've found the "older" unit CS4900 available on Amazon and Ebay. The CS4900 might require additional relays in order to perform the function of activating the rear defroster. The CS4905 did not need any additional parts for both my Subaru vehicles.

#33 ·
To those that have this system (Compustar CS4905S-kit)...… When using the remote start and your car is running, do the lights flash while running? I had a remotes start on an older Ford Ranger pickup that while running with the remote start the parking lights flashed. I found that annoying. I would be OK with the parking lights being on while using the remotes start.

#34 ·
On my MY17 OB - The parking lights will flash first - then the doors are locked and the car is started with the parking light staying lit. When you enter the vehicle and press on the brakes, the parking lights will go out and you will hear a faint click.

Then you're good to drive off.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.