New Tiguan v. Outback - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums
 15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 1.00 average.
post #1 of 36 (permalink) Old 11-25-2018, 11:05 PM Thread Starter

Car: 2015 Outback Limited w/ES, Wilderness Green
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
New Tiguan v. Outback

Have a 2015 OB Ltd that has been a good car. Recently looked at a 2018 Tiguan SEL-P that was a fun drive and loaded with features. Looks like one can get a good deal on a year-end closeout right now.

Just looking for thoughts from others who have driven both.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 (permalink) Old 11-26-2018, 12:10 AM

Car: 18 Outback 3.6r Touring
I own both. Although I’m not going out tomorrow to dump my Tig, I have made the decision that I will never buy another VAG product again. Main issues are with maintenance, warranty, paint and overall quality. If I was in the market, I would prefer a Forester XT, hope they bring it back. Or the new ‘19 Cherokee with the 2l turbo. I would also look at the Korean options like the Santa Fe sport 2.0T. It’s difficult in my location to find dealers that stock AWD though. There are good Black Friday deals on all these till the end of the month. Jeep even has 0% on the ‘19 models.

post #3 of 36 (permalink) Old 11-26-2018, 08:01 AM

Car: 2018 Limited 2.5i
Garage
i did some research concerning the new Tig and found it to be very underpowered for its size. plus doing alittle digging on some VW forums the quality and the amount of issues they were having with the newer generation of the Tig swayed me to the OB. granted the VW had some great offers at the time of purchase, the amount of issues didnt seem worthy of purchasing. i went with the '18 2.5 limited and have been happy ever since, even with the 4cyl
jakemccoy likes this.
post #4 of 36 (permalink) Old 11-26-2018, 08:56 AM

Car: 2018 Outback Touring 3.6R
Before I bought my Outback, the Tiguan SEL-P was what I wanted. At the time, there were none available within 200 miles, and the nearest ones were colors I didn't want. Because I absolutely had to ditch my Q5, I bought the Outback instead (my preferred dealer sells both). I'm still a strong VW supporter (GTI in the garage as well), but I'm very happy with the OB. Yes, the Tig is underpowered compared to my 3.6R, but against the 2.5 I felt it was fine. I loved the digital dash.

But I'm sticking with the Outback until I can get either a PHEV or EV that satisfies my desires. The upcoming PHEV Crosstrek will be interesting, but I don't know if it's close enough for me. The Hyundai Kona EV has the range and amenities that I might want, but I have no idea when it will be available in my state. Over the next few years I think my options will be much greater.

Dan

2018 Outback Touring 3.6R

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 36 (permalink) Old 11-26-2018, 09:01 AM

Car: 2018 Touring 3.6R
My biggest complaint about the redesigned Tiquan is that they increased the size/weight and decreased the engine power. So what once was an all-around decent performing small SUV, is now just below average in performance AND fuel economy. Similar to the Outback 2.5, it does feel decent around town, but merging onto the highway and higher speed passing is just marginally better than the Outback 2.5. The problem with all that is that it's rated 5mpg less than the OB. I'm of the opinion that if you're going to live with mediocre performance, you should at least benefit from good fuel economy. In this case, the 3.6R Outback has considerably more power, much better acceleration, and roughly the same fuel economy as the Tiquan.

Where the Tiquan does outclass the Outback is in handling stability and composure on the highway. Also the availability of a (mostly useless) 3rd row, and a better warranty. Then there's also the concern of resale/cost of ownership. Edmunds estimates the depreciation on the Tiguan over five years to be $7,000 more than an Outback 3.6R Ltd which likely also costs less up front. That's a rather painful hit to the wallet unless you're just in love with the Tiquan.
Rogier and paroxysym like this.
post #6 of 36 (permalink) Old 11-26-2018, 09:47 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the comments. They confirm the issues of which I am pretty much aware. I've read some on the VWVortex forum and also gone though the Edmunds/KBB consumer reviews. The car had some early issues (roof leaks, rattles, etc.) but those appear to have disappated, and in fact remind me of some of the complaints about the new generation 2015 OB when it came out (problems which didn't affect my particular car). I've also had VWs in the past. One was a great car -- very reliable -- and the other was mediocre in that regard, but never stranded us -- just some annoyances.

Engine performance-wise, the Tiguan is almost identical to my 2.5 OB. I'm not a racer-boy, so that's fine. I like the handling of the Tiguan slightly better, and the comfort of the seats is slightly superior.

On a strictly dollars & cent basis, I'd be dumb to switch as the OB holds its value better and I have a lot of good miles left on it. Any switch would be strictly emotional, but that's one of the treats I'm lucky to have available to me.

The dealer is supposed to get back to me today with some numbers. Being slightly cynical about car dealers, I'd lay 75% odds or so that instead of trying to make a deal to clear out 2018 inventory for the 2019s, that they try to pad their pockets instead. I've been looking around for a few months and two earlier dealers screwed themselves out of a sale, one for a Subaru Forester XT and the other for another make. It's nice to be in a position where I don't have to do something unless I really want to. Apparently car dealers aren't used to that! (But that is a subject for another thread all of its own.)
post #7 of 36 (permalink) Old 11-26-2018, 09:53 AM
Super Moderator

Car: 2002 Pair: 3.0 VDC Wag & 2.5 Limited Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlsstl View Post
Thanks for the comments. They confirm the issues of which I am pretty much aware. I've read some on the VWVortex forum and also gone though the Edmunds/KBB consumer reviews. The car had some early issues (roof leaks, rattles, etc.) but those appear to have disappated, and in fact remind me of some of the complaints about the new generation 2015 OB when it came out (problems which didn't affect my particular car). I've also had VWs in the past. One was a great car -- very reliable -- and the other was mediocre in that regard, but never stranded us -- just some annoyances.

Engine performance-wise, the Tiguan is almost identical to my 2.5 OB. I'm not a racer-boy, so that's fine. I like the handling of the Tiguan slightly better, and the comfort of the seats is slightly superior.

On a strictly dollars & cent basis, I'd be dumb to switch as the OB holds its value better and I have a lot of good miles left on it. Any switch would be strictly emotional, but that's one of the treats I'm lucky to have available to me.

The dealer is supposed to get back to me today with some numbers. Being slightly cynical about car dealers, I'd lay 75% odds or so that instead of trying to make a deal to clear out 2018 inventory for the 2019s, that they try to pad their pockets instead. I've been looking around for a few months and two earlier dealers screwed themselves out of a sale, one for a Subaru Forester XT and the other for another make. It's nice to be in a position where I don't have to do something unless I really want to. Apparently car dealers aren't used to that! (But that is a subject for another thread all of its own.)
how many miles you got on the 2015. ?

before the year is out subaru should make announcements as to engine usage for the calendar year 2019. (and that FA24T needs more of a home then the Ascent).

? Want people to stop needing to ask what exact car you have? year -model -engine -trans, scroll down to "your car":
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Found a Subaru Vin Decoder (also works on many manufactures):

If you feel Sofa King intolerant to the ideas expressed by others:
post #8 of 36 (permalink) Old 11-26-2018, 05:33 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by eagleeye View Post
how many miles you got on the 2015. ?

before the year is out subaru should make announcements as to engine usage for the calendar year 2019. (and that FA24T needs more of a home then the Ascent).
I have just over 50K miles on my OB. As noted, no complaints or issues with the car, just the typical urge some of us get time to time for something new.

As for the engine issue, that is near the bottom of the list of reasons for me.
post #9 of 36 (permalink) Old 11-26-2018, 05:40 PM
Super Moderator

Car: 2002 Pair: 3.0 VDC Wag & 2.5 Limited Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlsstl View Post
I have just over 50K miles on my OB. As noted, no complaints or issues with the car, just the typical urge some of us get time to time for something new.

As for the engine issue, that is near the bottom of the list of reasons for me.
the time that you should itch to have something new = 100,000 miles (when the warranty runs out on the trans...if it has not been replaced yet)
URDRWHO likes this.

? Want people to stop needing to ask what exact car you have? year -model -engine -trans, scroll down to "your car":

Found a Subaru Vin Decoder (also works on many manufactures):

If you feel Sofa King intolerant to the ideas expressed by others:
post #10 of 36 (permalink) Old 11-26-2018, 06:49 PM Thread Starter

Don't believe my itch factor has ever been tied to the odometer.... ;-)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: