Things I HATE most about the Subaru Outback (Gen 5) - Page 3 - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums
 344Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 1.00 average.
post #21 of 628 (permalink) Old 12-02-2018, 09:47 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Here are a few items:
1. The intermittent wiper control is backwards (mentioned above as well)
2. The rear wiper washer fluid takes forever to come on - this is truly nonsense.
3. Winter driving in the city nets 21 to 22 MPG on our Premium - noted this last winter. Does not bother me as Summer driving with routine wheels/tires gets reasonable/amazing MPG's. Will chalk up the Winter MPG blues to temperatures, short distance, stop and go driving and heavy winter tires.
4. Inability to reset TPMS via built in car functions. Not an issue; I just need to buy a reset/programming tool.
Other than the first two items above, no complaints as I knew what I was getting into prior to purchasing the 17 Premium.

• 1987 Brat GL
  • 1995 JD LX178
  • 1998 Z3, 2.8
  • 2000 328Ci
  • 2013 SX4 SB
  • Subaru RGV12100
  • 2017 Outback
  • 2018 Titan CC Pro4X
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 628 (permalink) Old 12-02-2018, 09:54 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Car: '17 3.6 Limited
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dantrax View Post
Here's a couple of other reasons to love the spare tire. You can only use it as a rear tire. "So listen honey you have to put the spare tire on the back of the car first & then take the good rear tire & use that to replace the flat front tire." that's gonna go over big with the little woman. I don't want to do that myself. Plus now I know why they give you a bag for the flat. I thought it was to keep the tire well clean. Nope. The bag IS the tire well. Me no likey this. Subaru fooled me with this one, shame on me for not asking. Most of the other stuff I don't like is just little nittles that I have to learn how to live with. Also the voice controlled do everything screen I didn't expect to work 100% anyway. So it doesn't & it lived up to my expectations so I'm not that disappointed. I'll have to check if they make a hitch mounted spare tire carrier or use one of those hitch baskets for a full size spare.
I have seriously considered cutting a larger opening and having a welder add some plate to make the opening large enough to hold a full sized spare. It wouldn't cost anymore than any of those add on hitch things people do and shouldn't change much in a rear end impact assuming I'm sticking with similar gauge steel.

Even if it's just the factory 225/65/17 size I would be satisfied.

I measured and there is room enough between the rails for a 245/65/17 to fit and then some. Why Subaru didn't do it this way to begin with is beyond me.

immortal_suby and Dantrax like this.
post #23 of 628 (permalink) Old 12-02-2018, 10:00 AM
Super Moderator

Car: 2002 Pair: 3.0 VDC Wagon & a 2.5 Limited Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucey View Post
I have seriously considered cutting a larger opening and having a welder add some plate to make the opening large enough to hold a full sized spare. It wouldn't cost anymore than any of those add on hitch things people do and shouldn't change much in a rear end impact assuming I'm sticking with similar gauge steel.

I measured and there is room enough between the rails for a 245/65/17 to fit and then some. Why Subaru didn't do it this way to begin with is beyond me.
worth a separate thread.

but maybe you could rob a well out of another type vehicle. that you know can take a 245 tire. (like neatly sliced out with a plasma cutter).
Brucey likes this.

? Want people to stop needing to ask what exact car you have? year -model -engine -trans, scroll down to "your car":
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Found a Subaru Vin Decoder (also works on many manufactures):
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

If you feel Sofa King intolerant to the ideas expressed by others:
post #24 of 628 (permalink) Old 12-02-2018, 10:30 AM

Car: 2017 2.5i Premium Lapis Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by eagleeye View Post
worth a separate thread.

but maybe you could rob a well out of another type vehicle. that you know can take a 245 tire. (like neatly sliced out with a plasma cutter).
I was just going to suggest that idea of cutting one out of another vehicle as well. It would still be a lot of work but it would look almost stock when it was done. As long as there isn't anything in the way underneath that the larger well would hit like the gas tank or suspension part it would work.
post #25 of 628 (permalink) Old 12-02-2018, 10:42 AM
Super Moderator

Car: 2002 Pair: 3.0 VDC Wagon & a 2.5 Limited Sedan
can't rob one out of a Tribeca 2006-2014. = spare mounted underneath in the slop.....unless @Brucey would like his spare tire out in the slop.

and a big thumbs down to subaru for not installing foam filled run flat tires. ....I mean like a limo for head of state.

or a Citroen style suspension that would let the car drive on 3 wheels.

? Want people to stop needing to ask what exact car you have? year -model -engine -trans, scroll down to "your car":

Found a Subaru Vin Decoder (also works on many manufactures):

If you feel Sofa King intolerant to the ideas expressed by others:
post #26 of 628 (permalink) Old 12-02-2018, 10:43 AM

Car: 2013 OB 3.6R (former)
Haha, funny to see you join the 5 things I hate about X train.

The remote start drove me nuts, too. When I realized that Toyota uses the same, I did not order one for the 4Runner.

The spare tire is definitely a biggy.

But city mpg in wet weather, especially in snow is bound to be bad on a true AWD car. I have had 7 mpg in mud in the Tribeca over 45 miles, no less. And I can be at 3 mpg crawling in the 4Runner. Gotta pay to play.
Brucey likes this.

Current: 2008 Tribeca, 2018 4Runner TRD OP (well-armored)
Former: 2013 H6 5 EAT OB with SubieLiftOZ, 2006 B9, 1995 Legacy wagon
post #27 of 628 (permalink) Old 12-02-2018, 10:58 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Car: '17 3.6 Limited
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiddleAgeSubie View Post

But city mpg in wet weather, especially in snow is bound to be bad on a true AWD car. I have had 7 mpg in mud in the Tribeca over 45 miles, no less. And I can be at 3 mpg crawling in the 4Runner. Gotta pay to play.
Yup. I even mentioned in the video I'm happy with the highway mileage. I can see 30 MPG even with the 3.6 and the lift (although not with the AT tires)

But short stop and go city winter trips I really do get like 16. So it ends up better than EPA highway and worse than EPA city.

Quote:
can't rob one out of a Tribeca 2006-2014. = spare mounted underneath in the slop.....unless @Brucey would like his spare tire out in the slop.
The Becca has a winch style like the Baja. I think I would prefer inside. Actually, I would prefer Outside AND an inside cubby/cavity for tools but if I definitely don't think there is enough room for that unless I want the spare tire to be 3 inches off the ground. Having it on the inside I still have inside the wheel for things assuming it's mounted face down.

Quote:
worth a separate thread.

Off the top of my head I think 245/65/17 fits Grand Cherokees. I'm sure there are plenty of rotting ones around. I'll check around and make a thread when I get around to it. Installing something else today.
post #28 of 628 (permalink) Old 12-03-2018, 12:21 AM

I can't believe nobody has mentioned the lack of rain sensing wipers or folding mirrors. It's 2018. My 2001 STI had folding mirrors. Every car I've owned since 2006 has has rain sensing wipers. I didn't even consider checking the spec sheets to see if it had them, because everything does these days!
Sectime, Dantrax and MojoFiasko like this.
post #29 of 628 (permalink) Old 12-03-2018, 05:00 AM

Car: 2018 White Outback Touring 2.5i
Garage
Quote:

Or we could sneak into the dealership at night & get the wells from the Legacy trunks. I heard they have a full size spare but I'm not sure & only kidding anyway. Plus I remember a post about a TBS of 1/4" tire circumference difference being a big deal. But No full size spare OK. Anyway I have never used a roof rack but I see a large expense in my future & a spare on my roof. $$$ oof oof that's double oofs.
Brucey likes this.

2018 White Outback Touring 2.5
post #30 of 628 (permalink) Old 12-03-2018, 08:42 AM

Car: '18 Outback Limited/Ex: 2000 Outback Limited
Quote:
#2 can be fixed by disabling the vss signal input into the head unit.

More 'how to' information please.

TIA

Bill

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: