Things I HATE most about the Subaru Outback (Gen 5) - Page 63 - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums
 344Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 1.00 average.
post #621 of 628 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 01:31 PM

Car: 2018 Limited
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by URDRWHO View Post
True. Have you ever tried to use the paddles while going through a lot of sharp "S" curves? As the wheel is turned back and forth you find yourself searching for the paddles. With the shifting on the gear selector you can at least shift while making the turns.

Would people easily accept a manual transmission with clutch and used only paddles to shift?
Have driven my OB on tight mountain roads filled with hairpin, s and increasing/decreasing radius curves on manual model. There is no issue and much easier than having to reach down to shift.

Not sure what you mean by searching for the paddles mean. Its at your finger tips. And its rare to have to change gears in the middle of the turn. As you exit the turn - yes - but during, not really. Only if you get into the turn in a wrong gear.

People do accept MT with clutch and only paddle shifters. They are semi-automatic, manual though. Its double clutched transmission to reduce lag time.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #622 of 628 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 06:31 PM

Car: 2018 3.6R Touring
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucey View Post
Please demonstrate.

Huh. Silly me. You made me go out and look at the darn thing. I don't drive it enough to remember it well, and I remembered it wrong. You're right.

It's kind of strange that it even has an M position on the shifter. All it seems to do is keep the manual mode from canceling itself automatically, which is what happens when you invoke it directly with the paddles.

Subie-intuitive.

On my Grand Cherokee there's complete redundancy between the shifter and the paddles. I was thinking the Outback worked the same way. Never mind.

Brucey likes this.

Nobody knew that a new car could be so complicated.
post #623 of 628 (permalink) Old 04-16-2019, 08:39 AM

Car: 2015 Outback Limited 2.5
I guess it depends on where we are accustomed to keeping our hands on the wheel. I first noticed the issue on a switchback mountain road. When you are turning and turning that wheel are you going to know the exact location of those paddles?

Wonder if this is true.

"Subaru got back to me via email from my question through the website;

Thanks for your patience as I researched engine braking in your 2013 Outback with CVT. I sent it to two separate Technical representatives. They both replied with similar feedback.

It is only recommended in situations where the engine braking would be needed, such as “when descending a grade." Normally, a driver would have no need to engine brake when just coming to a stop at a light or stop sign. Since the transmission is not designed to handle this, it would accelerate wear on the CVT.

I think that's enough for me to not make a habit of it. Thanks for all the input - good forum!
"

https://www.subaruoutback.org/forums...tml#post450777

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkg3 View Post
Have driven my OB on tight mountain roads filled with hairpin, s and increasing/decreasing radius curves on manual model. There is no issue and much easier than having to reach down to shift.

Not sure what you mean by searching for the paddles mean. Its at your finger tips. And its rare to have to change gears in the middle of the turn. As you exit the turn - yes - but during, not really. Only if you get into the turn in a wrong gear.

People do accept MT with clutch and only paddle shifters. They are semi-automatic, manual though. Its double clutched transmission to reduce lag time.

2015 Outback limited
post #624 of 628 (permalink) Old 04-16-2019, 08:48 AM

Car: 2015 Outback 3.6R Package 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by BubbaATL View Post
It's kind of strange that it even has an M position on the shifter. All it seems to do is keep the manual mode from canceling itself automatically, which is what happens when you invoke it directly with the paddles.

You must not do much mountain driving with long downhills where you want engine braking. I flip the shifter over all the time on hill descents and then set the amount of engine braking I want with the faux paddle shifter.

My VW GTI with a dual clutch DSG automated manual transmission acted the same way. You could leave it in full automatic and downshift with the paddle shifters for engine braking but it would disengage eventually on a long hill descent. I didn't have anything to unlearn when I consolidated from an SUV and a GTI to an Outback.
post #625 of 628 (permalink) Old 04-16-2019, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
You must not do much mountain driving with long downhills where you want engine braking. I flip the shifter over all the time on hill descents and then set the amount of engine braking I want with the faux paddle shifter.

My VW GTI with a dual clutch DSG automated manual transmission acted the same way. You could leave it in full automatic and downshift with the paddle shifters for engine braking but it would disengage eventually on a long hill descent. I didn't have anything to unlearn when I consolidated from an SUV and a GTI to an Outback.
No actually I do a fair amount of long descents with engine braking. As far as I've experienced, when you downshift the Outback with the paddle only (leaving the shifter untouched) on a downhill it only cancels automatically when you hit the flat and don't need the engine braking anymore, at least for a few seconds. I've never had it cancel much before I would have canceled it anyway -- it seems very intelligent in that regard, and I like it now that I'm used to it. (It surprised the heck out of me the first time it did it.) I've definitely never had it cancel during the actual descent, or for that matter even when hitting the gas briefly on a short level stretch.
walker likes this.

post #626 of 628 (permalink) Old 04-17-2019, 09:27 PM

Car: 2019 Outback Touring 3.6R
Gen 6 has a full size spare.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
post #627 of 628 (permalink) Old 04-20-2019, 07:48 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Car: '17 3.6 Limited
So if the Gen 6 is any indication...

The dual mode x mode supposedly doesn't let the car bog/stall. I haven't seen someone put a new Fozzy through the ringer though.

I imagine it has more beeps. Now standard!

It has room for a full sized spare and comes with one on some models.

The oil capacity is still a lot in my mind but reduced. Remember, a 6.0 liter LS2 only needs 5.5 quarts.

And the FA24 will surely get better gas mileage than the EZ36 although I imagine that it will still suck.

Good effort, Subaru.
post #628 of 628 (permalink) Old 04-20-2019, 10:08 AM

More beeps? Inconceivable!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: