Things I HATE most about the Subaru Outback (Gen 5) - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums
 344Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 1.00 average.
post #1 of 626 (permalink) Old 12-01-2018, 11:47 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Car: '17 3.6 Limited
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Things I HATE most about the Subaru Outback (Gen 5)

Thought I would get onboard the hate train that's been around here lately.

My biggest issues with the car are:

The traction control system.
Plenty has been said on it.

The beeping. Always with the beeping.

The spare tire well not being able to hold a full sized spare. This is a vehicle marketed as an off road vehicle.

The oil capacity. With the 3.6 holding 6.9 quarts that means I've always got half empty jugs around.

The city MPG. I've seen 15 and 16 mpg in winter in city driving. It's just not a good platform for driving in the city often.

Honorable mention goes to the fog lights that turn on and off. It only seems to result in people telling me that I have a fog light burned out.

I also thought about the not being able to input GPS directions with a passenger but I actually fixed this issue so it's not on the list.

But if my vehicle was stock I would have it on the list instead of the oil capacity.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 626 (permalink) Old 12-01-2018, 12:32 PM

Car: 2017 2.5i Premium Lapis Blue
The traction control system. The best thing I have found about the traction control is how much more fun it is to drive in the winter when you shut it off.
The beeping. Yeah, annoying. Not sure how that could be avoided if you want to buy a car with so many "safety" features.
The spare tire well Yep, I get the lighter and cheaper spares they include with the car but I think all cars should at least have room to put a full-size spare.
The oil capacity. Equally as bad is the 2.5 taking 5.1 quarts. So far this hasn't been a problem for me because I am still having the dealer change the oil. Of course having them charge me for 6 quarts every time still bothers me.
The city MPG. Agree with this as well but I could use a point of your own and say that if you are going to say this is a vehicle marketed as an off road vehicle you have to expect poor city gas mileage.

The steering responsive fog lights were terribly annoying to me. Since I want to use the automatic headlights I just started leaving the fog lights on all the time as well. I used to get annoyed when other people did this but now I have joined the party.

I don't recall seeing a fix for the GPS thing before.

As for me I have to say by far the most annoying thing so far has been the factory remote start and the engine shutting off when you open a door. I've come to an acceptable compromise on that. Overall I am still happy with my Outback. Just over a year left on my lease and I am actually giving thought to keeping it after that. At that time the 2020s will be out and I'm a little hesitant to get into the first model year of the new model design. I could go with a 2019 at that point but I don't see that I would gain much for the added money. So I just may buy the car after the lease is up if the number looks like a good buy. I could be under the allowed mileage by 8,000 miles or so at that point.

Brucey likes this.
post #3 of 626 (permalink) Old 12-01-2018, 12:38 PM
Edd
Banned

Car: 2018 Subaru Outback 2.5 Limited
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danver View Post
As for me I have to say by far the most annoying thing so far has been the factory remote start and the engine shutting off when you open a door. I've come to an acceptable compromise on that.

This is my #1 issue as well. What’s the compromise?
post #4 of 626 (permalink) Old 12-01-2018, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edd View Post
This is my #1 issue as well. What’s the compromise?
Disable the switch on the rear door which allows that door to open with the engine remaining running. With that I can put my gear in the car and get the snow brush out and clean off the car without the engine shutting off. It still shuts off when I get in the car but so far this is the best compromise I have found.

You can also disable the front door switch so the engine remains running when you get in the car but unfortunately as soon as the key touches the ignition the engine shuts off anyway. I don't know if it would be different with the push button start cars. Disabling the switch of course leaves you without the dome light when you open the door.

https://www.subaruoutback.org/forums...77-post26.html

The best solution would be an aftermarket remote start that can shut off the defect of the engine shutting off when a door is opened but keep the dome light functional.
post #5 of 626 (permalink) Old 12-01-2018, 12:58 PM

Car: 2018 Outback Limited 3.6R 2" ADF lift kit 17X8 (45mm off-set) Advanti DST Storm wheels 245/65R17 BFG KO2 AT tires 20mm RSB Strut Tower Brace steering Dampener Lockdown
This is my second Subaru, first was a2017 Crosstrek -still in the family - so I was pretty familiar with what to expect.

My biggest issues with the car are:
The traction control system. Plenty has been said on it.
Well you can always turn it off.

That is just the default settings for everything - I have turned some of it off some I like.

The spare tire well not being able to hold a full sized spare. This is a vehicle marketed as an off road vehicle.
Pretty typical in new cars today. It is definitely not marketed as a hard core off road vehicle - Subaru calls it off pavement which it excels at - to the point some folks, me included push it and do some off roading really meant for Wranglers and the like but that is not what it is designed for. If you bought an OB for off-roading you are going to be disappointed and not just with the spare. It is a great car off-pavement, say on the beach or to get to a camping spot via a logging road - that kind of stuff but real off-roading . . . not a great choice

The oil capacity. With the 3.6 holding 6.9 quarts that means I've always got half empty jugs around.
Basically it is 7 quarts - nit-pick much?

The city MPG. I've seen 15 and 16 mpg in winter in city driving. It's just not a good platform for driving in the city often.
Something is very wrong with your car - I drive some in town and some two lane hardball mostly local in and around town and get 22 mpg with a 3.6R and I am a terrible driver as far as lead foot etc.

Honorable mention goes to the fog lights that turn on and off. It only seems to result in people telling me that I have a fog light burned out.
I had that with the Crosstrek and agree it was annoying but I could turn that feature off as well - I don't have the fog light that comes on when turning feature on the OB and I do not miss it at all.

I also thought about the not being able to input GPS directions with a passenger but I actually fixed this issue so it's not on the list.
Never noticed this - will to check it out.

But if my vehicle was stock I would have it on the list instead of the oil capacity.
WillieChu likes this.

2018 Outback Lmited 3.6R
post #6 of 626 (permalink) Old 12-01-2018, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by majpooper View Post
If you bought an OB for off-roading you are going to be disappointed and not just with the spare.
I love that this comment is being made to Brucey.
Kevin, Brucey, Daboo and 1 others like this.
post #7 of 626 (permalink) Old 12-01-2018, 03:34 PM
Rub

Car: 2016 3.6 Limited with ES
My dislikes:

1. The SRF can't be turned off permanently.

2. No passenger GPS function.

3. Can't organize Destinations other than alphabetical.
Brucey likes this.
post #8 of 626 (permalink) Old 12-01-2018, 03:46 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by majpooper View Post
The traction control system. Plenty has been said on it.
Well you can always turn it off.

Not really. Unless you considering yanking fuses turning it off. It also is a net positive even if it does get overwhelmed.

That is just the default settings for everything - I have turned some of it off some I like.

You can turn enough of them off but they'll still come back on eventually. Again a net positive with the safety features but sometimes it's definitely in the 'boy who cried wolf' territory especially when driving on winding roads with the lane keep alert.

Pretty typical in new cars today. It is definitely not marketed as a hard core off road vehicle - Subaru calls it off pavement which it excels at - to the point some folks, me included push it and do some off roading really meant for Wranglers and the like but that is not what it is designed for. If you bought an OB for off-roading you are going to be disappointed and not just with the spare. It is a great car off-pavement, say on the beach or to get to a camping spot via a logging road - that kind of stuff but real off-roading . . . not a great choice

Hi.

Basically it is 7 quarts - nit-pick much?

Yes I nit-pick all the time.

Something is very wrong with your car - I drive some in town and some two lane hardball mostly local in and around town and get 22 mpg with a 3.6R and I am a terrible driver as far as lead foot etc.

Gets 28 on the highway even with the 245/65/17 AT Tires. It's short stop and go city trips that kill the mileage.

I had that with the Crosstrek and agree it was annoying but I could turn that feature off as well - I don't have the fog light that comes on when turning feature on the OB and I do not miss it at all.

I wish the button would stay pressed. Have to turn it off every time you start it.
Quoting a quote
post #9 of 626 (permalink) Old 12-01-2018, 03:48 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rub View Post
My dislikes:

1. The SRF can't be turned off permanently.

2. No passenger GPS function.

3. Can't organize Destinations other than alphabetical.
#2 can be fixed by disabling the vss signal input into the head unit.
post #10 of 626 (permalink) Old 12-01-2018, 04:10 PM
Rub

Car: 2016 3.6 Limited with ES
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucey View Post
#2 can be fixed by disabling the vss signal input into the head unit.
I love it when you talk all techy.

KentuckyOutback and UKreject like this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: