Mudflaps? - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums
 12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 1.00 average.
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-10-2018, 07:51 PM Thread Starter

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Mudflaps?

Whats everyones preferred mudflaps on Gen 5? Any downsides?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-10-2018, 08:04 PM

Car: 2016 Outback 2.5i Limited
I slapped some of these on: Rally Armor MF12-BAS-BLK Basic Black Mud Flap with Logo (Universal Fitment (no Hardware)) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00C3AIOTY..._VVWdCb0HAJE1Z

Took a little bit of extra measuring and guesswork to make sure it was to my liking, but they are easy to cut to size and you can make them fit your car exactly as you want. I used some of the screws that are already in place for the splash guards that come on the car, and I also used some of the push through plastic inserts to hold it in place. We are very happy with ours.

There are quite a few videos on YouTube of people showing how to do all the measuring and fitting. I used a piece of cardboard as a template.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-10-2018, 08:14 PM
Super Moderator

Car: 2002 Pair: 3.0 VDC Wag & 2.5 Limited Sedan
on Bradze's beloved 2011 rally queen family truckster.

he had typical Rally Armor, and one caught on the tire and ripped the fender liner off.

he then switched to Gorilla.

? Want people to stop needing to ask what exact car you have? year -model -engine -trans, scroll down to "your car":

Found a Subaru Vin Decoder (also works on many manufactures):

If you feel Sofa King intolerant to the ideas expressed by others:
post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-11-2018, 06:40 AM

Car: 05 OBXT & 16 Crosstrek
Gorilla or RB (same thing I believe) are quality.
RA are nice, but skip the basic line as they curl after a little bit of use.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk
post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-11-2018, 06:53 AM

Car: 2018 Outback 3.6R Limited
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by eagleeye View Post
on Bradze's beloved 2011 rally queen family truckster.

he had typical Rally Armor, and one caught on the tire and ripped the fender liner off.

he then switched to Gorilla.

How in the world did that happen?!?! Interesting...

Just put the RA urethane on mine for some added protection that sticks out a little further, as my tires sit outboard of the car a touch. The oem "splash guards" did little to nothing. Install of the ones specific to a Gen 5 was easy, just need the room to work (which in my case meant each wheel came off).

--Jeff
2018 Outback 3.6R Limited
Overland Bound Member #13185

post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-11-2018, 07:51 AM

Car: 2018 Limited 2.5i
Garage
OEM rims and tires, the OEM are fine in my opinion. if youre not looking to do more than make it a DD and not venture off pavement, i feel theyll be fine- nothing seems to get flung down the side of the vehicle. if you up your tire size, change your rims then id look at RA flaps.
ammcinnis and George-Mi-Az like this.
post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-11-2018, 07:59 AM

Car: 2018 Subaru Outback Touring 3.6
I currently have the Subaru splash guards on but very disappointed with appearance and potential usefulness due to lack of length/shortness. So here's my question: Has anyone installed aftermarket/non-Subaru mud guards/splash guards onto their Subaru splash guards?
post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-11-2018, 08:04 AM
Super Moderator

Car: 2002 Pair: 3.0 VDC Wag & 2.5 Limited Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by martin_j001 View Post

How in the world did that happen?!?! Interesting...

Just put the RA urethane on mine for some added protection that sticks out a little further, as my tires sit outboard of the car a touch. The oem "splash guards" did little to nothing. Install of the ones specific to a Gen 5 was easy, just need the room to work (which in my case meant each wheel came off).
he off roaded a lot, including rally X, and deep mud. (here is a search of his posts, and the term "armor" ). ....eventually the CVT crapped out, and he got a 4Runner.

https://www.subaruoutback.org/forums...rchid=31079645
martin_j001 likes this.

? Want people to stop needing to ask what exact car you have? year -model -engine -trans, scroll down to "your car":

Found a Subaru Vin Decoder (also works on many manufactures):

If you feel Sofa King intolerant to the ideas expressed by others:
post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-11-2018, 08:16 AM

Car: 2015 Outback 3.6R Package 23
I gave up on mud flaps many years ago. I end up with a hard-frozen ball of slush on each mud flap that inevitably eventually tears a mud flap off. If you're not really diligent about knocking all the built-up slush/snow off every time you park, I suspect you'll have the problem.
post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-11-2018, 08:16 AM

Car: 2018 Outback 3.6R Limited
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by eagleeye View Post
he off roaded a lot, including rally X, and deep mud. (here is a search of his posts, and the term "armor" ). ....eventually the CVT crapped out, and he got a 4Runner.

https://www.subaruoutback.org/forums...rchid=31079645

Interesting for sure. I did notice how the hardware seemed...cheap...maybe that isn't the right word...insufficient might be better. screws with plastic washers that hold the flaps on? While I haven't done any real serious off roading, I do hope to do some more in the future, so I may have to rethink this idea of the RA's.. having a dirty car and risking a paint scrape or something seems better than having a fender liner pulled off....

--Jeff
2018 Outback 3.6R Limited
Overland Bound Member #13185

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: