Safety & fob/ and Car Keys ? - Page 2 - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums
 19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #11 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-23-2019, 06:40 PM

Car: 2019 2.5i Limited Forester (4th Subie)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert11 View Post

If I open the door with the engine running, NO Chimes.
If i shut the engine OFF, and then open the door, i get the Chimes.
Just opening the door won't cause it to chime when the engine is running. But ... if you walk away from the car with the key fob and it's running, it'll chime at you. I hear it all the time when I'm running in to grab a D-tag.

Zedhead likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-23-2019, 08:07 PM

Car: 2019 2.5i Limited PZEV, EyeSight, Magnetite Gray Metallic, Black Interior
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert11 View Post
Many years ago, a family I know was totally wiped out because of their car left running in the garage which was under the house.
TLDR; Park outside.

There are a number of things to unpack in your question, but to me, the line quoted above is the key. A lot has changed since "many years ago." The most important of which are auto exhaust systems and building codes. The upside of this is that modern vehicles, especially those that are PZEVs, have reduced the overall pollutant (including carbon monoxide or CO) emissions at the tailpipe compared to vehicles of even 20 years ago. So it's quite possible you could leave your vehicle running in your garage for days with limited risk to members of the household.

Add to this building codes which were changed in the wake of tragedies such as the one you describe, and even if a deadly concentration of gas were to build up in a garage, if the house was built in the last decade, and was built properly, then sealed drywall joints and electrical boxes, weatherstripping on entry doors, and vapor barriers behind the drywall should prevent the ingress of fumes into the home.

So, should you leave a car running, the chances of it wiping out a family as it would have in 1980 are very small. Building upon this foundation, it seems likely that if you live in a modern house you could mitigate the risk to a low level simply by ventilating your garage. Thus, if your concern is really mitigating the risk of killing your family by leaving the car running, the answer is probably, in order of simplicity:
  1. Park outside. (I haven't parked a car in a garage in 35 years, even in New England winters.)
  2. Leave a window open in the garage.
  3. Adjust your garage door to leave a gap for ventilation.
  4. Install a constantly running ventilation fan to exhaust air from the garage.

As others have said, you can also install CO detectors in the home, but frankly, if you are parking after a long enough drive to have a hot catalytic converter you are likely producing more CO2 than CO so a detector would be less effective than you might think, but put one in the garage and one in the house anyway. One article on this phenomenon noted a state medical examiner who said, "If we find victims of this, there is never a CO detector."

If, however, your question is really a mental justification for how to work around the keyless ignition system and simply parking outside isn't acceptable, then you're into the realm of behavior modification and you really need to set up a system that guarantees success. You alluded to the house key being attached to the car key a feature. So perhaps you can adopt a method for putting your house key on top of the Subaru start button. Maybe you just glue a hook there and reaching for the key requires you to press the button. Maybe you add a big sign on the garage wall that asks "Is the car off?" But somehow you need to create a kind of interlock that prevents entry into the dwelling before pressing the button to turn the car off.

Good luck.

Mods:
- Curt 2" Receiver Hitch
- Husky front & rear floor liners
- LED interior & exterior bulbs (backup, license plate, door puddle)
- Method MR 501 wheels, Titanium gray w/ Yokohama Geolandar G015 225/65R17
- Optima Yellowtop Group 34 battery
- PIAA Solar Yellow 2500 fog lamps

RIP 2016 Outback 2.5 Limited; totaled 10/14/18

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #13 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-24-2019, 03:49 AM

Car: 2008 OB Limited 2.5i
The suggestions from @GrumpySquatch are all good, but I place the in-house CO detector in position #1.

My take - with more and more cars on the market with computerized wifi-enabled engine start features, manufacturers rapidly expanding code complexity and size, evolving new software features, updating software often, and at times probably not adequately stressing their new code, and finally more penetration of hybrids into the market that can mask "engine on" status, it's only a matter of time before a car is going to be left "on" in the garage. My best and last line of defense is a CO detector, as it isn't connected at all to the operation of the vehicle.
post #14 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-24-2019, 04:04 AM

Car: 2017 2.5i Premium Lapis Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnre View Post
The suggestions from @GrumpySquatch are all good, but I place the in-house CO detector in position #1.

My take - with more and more cars on the market with computerized wifi-enabled engine start features, manufacturers rapidly expanding code complexity and size, evolving new software features, updating software often, and at times probably not adequately stressing their new code, and finally more penetration of hybrids into the market that can mask "engine on" status, it's only a matter of time before a car is going to be left "on" in the garage. My best and last line of defense is a CO detector, as it isn't connected at all to the operation of the vehicle.
Plus the fact that it is just a good idea to have CO detectors in your house to begin with.
post #15 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-24-2019, 06:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danver View Post
Plus the fact that it is just a good idea to have CO detectors in your house to begin with.
+1, but I suspect there are many folks that do not have working smoke/CO detectors in their homes....the same ones that would ignore the car alarm as they walk away from their running car after parking it in the garage or park in the hot sun after forgetting to drop the infant at day care.

Automakers and regulators try their best but they simply can't fix stupid.

"Another Brick In The Wall", PF 1979
"Happiness Is A Warm Gun", Beatles 1968
"The Rubber Banned Man",Spinners 1976
2011 SS Camaro
1984 Corvette
post #16 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-24-2019, 07:23 AM

Car: 2019 Subaru Forester Premium, Crystal Black Silica, Pkg 15
Garage
I also agree, go get a CO detector - it's cheap insurance.

I also remember leaving the airport - there are signs all over that say "Did you close your flight plan?" - and sure enough, I'd pull over and call flight service because I'd forgotten.

So, make a sign in the interim!

Pilot, Subaru Ambassador, Northern NJ Area
2019 Forester Premium, Crystal Black Silica & Black Cloth, Package 15
Former 2011 Outback 2.5i Limited & 2009 Legacy 2.5i Limited

post #17 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-24-2019, 11:23 AM

Car: 2015 3.6R Limited
Also note that it will NOT beep to remind you the engine is running if you happen to leave the fob in the car. The car will beep loudly only after you've exited the running vehicle and closed the door with the key fob in your possession.
post #18 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-24-2019, 11:34 AM

Car: 2019 2.5i Premium w/Eyesight, "Wilderness Green Metallic"
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by EF Schwerin View Post
I honestly can’t imagine getting out of the car and leaving it running.

I can't, either. I've locked myself out of my car/truck enough times that I even roll a window down if I have to get out with it running.

1200 miles+ from home once, and slammed the truck door. It had a lot of wear, so the lock, locked me out. 1200 miles from the spare key. Kinda makes one a bit more cognizant.

post #19 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-24-2019, 12:33 PM

Car: 2008 OB Limited 2.5i
Quote:
Originally Posted by z28dug View Post
Automakers and regulators try their best but they simply can't fix stupid.
This is true, but in this case, they could but won't put in software that would shut down an engine after a few minutes of idling without someone in the driver's seat. My guess is that they are worried about the legal ramifications of this code somehow shutting things down at the wrong time, as many drivers probably aren't prepared or can't cope with loss of power assist brakes and steering at speed.
post #20 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-24-2019, 12:47 PM

Car: 2019 Outback 3.6R Touring Cinnamon Brown Pearl
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnre View Post
This is true, but in this case, they could but won't put in software that would shut down an engine after a few minutes of idling without someone in the driver's seat. My guess is that they are worried about the legal ramifications of this code somehow shutting things down at the wrong time, as many drivers probably aren't prepared or can't cope with loss of power assist brakes and steering at speed.
It is a warm day. I have the A/C on and I go into a store while my pet is in my Subaru. I don’t want software to kill my pet because it turns off my car and the A/C after a few minutes.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: